KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I have done all the mods minus the MCM. No way it’s in the 28-30 hp but I can tell you it runs better and is faster than stock no doubt. Trying to squeeze more out of the bike is too costly. I am happy where it’s at now.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:35 AM
tsc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Olderider
I have done all the mods minus the MCM. No way it’s in the 28-30 hp but I can tell you it runs better and is faster than stock no doubt. Trying to squeeze more out of the bike is too costly. I am happy where it’s at now.
If you have barker on hand, what is diameter of the header and mid pipe? What's is the diameter where "megaphone" starts and what's diameter at muffler inlet? What's the megaphone length?
Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2024, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

PINIT racing does not list anything for Kawasaki.
They do custom ECM's though, so perhaps they have the ability to do-up the KLX ECM or refit one of their ECM's to the KLX.
But this is not the real issue - which is the R&D that has to go into creating proper performance programing for the various builds ( stock, modified induction, modified induction and exhaust, etc etc) .. For instance, ignition curve programming alone takes tremendous Dyno time to perfect. Too much advance in the upper RPM kills power quickly. And all is dependent on the AFR (fueling) , fuel quality, and the choice of performance bolt-ins.
Add into this that they must have the knowledge that the KLX requires the secondary throttle valve to be removed before any programming R&D can commence - or the final product is practically useless.

TSC, asking such questions about the Barker is confounding to me - I hope you are going to use the Barker system and not try to cobble together a shade-tree contraption.

Olderider - done it all ? Well Barker made 26.61 hp with lidless airbox and a dyno tuned PCFC. Since they do not mention the AFR ( fueling target) nor any mention of having removed the secondary valve before tuning, I have to assume the target they tuned for is the typical 13+ :1 nonsense, and the secondary was left in - meaning there is more power to be had.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:16 PM

Klxster you seem a little angry, maybe take a walk outside? This stuff doesn't really matter that much lol.

I'm sure someone will dyno after they do the ecu to confirm but unless someone wants to fork out the cash I won't be doing it.

I'll let you know if it helps or hinders the bikes performance.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I hope you are going to use the Barker system and not try to cobble together a shade-tree contraption..
My cobbled shade-tree contraption actually works pretty well...

...and it's still reasonably quiet.

Last edited by tooter; 04-08-2024 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the barkers full system, lidless air box and used the EHS tuner.
here is the vid of the dyno testing.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Watched the entire vid.
Not good, but I've seen worse. You know what's coming when you see a dyno tuner that has never changed the softwares' default AFR target setting ( the little dashed red line sitting on 13.2)..
Probably no one is interested in the flaws/mistakes made and allowed to persist in that Dyno session - but there is more power to be found than your current 26.6.
Until a like bike ( Barker system , lidless, secondary plate removed, tuner ) is tested/tuned using 5th gear, and is set to make 12.8 ( or 12.6 - 12.8) AFR @ WOT with the seat and side panels installed, we do not know what can be achieved.

Last edited by Klxster; 04-08-2024 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I also have the secondary throttle plate removed.
I did notice that during the runs he was in 4th gear. Why not 5th like most tuners do on a 6speed transmission?
I also agree not a good video but they do show what just taking out the secondary throttle plate does to the graph.
I really don’t want to pay for dyno time ($300 might be more now) just to see what my numbers are. It runs and rides perfectly fine for me. Not going to chase every last little bit for a toy that has enough power for what it is.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Olderider, most tuners use 5th on the KLX because it is Dyno Tuning 101 to use whatever gear is at, or closest to, 1:1 ( engine output to tranny output) . On the KLX, this is 5th gear.
Using a "wrong" gear produces "wrong" data. Lower gears cause power data to be lower. Your bike makes over 26.6 hp.

If you can figure out how to change the WOT fueling settings ( Red ?) on that thing, you need to ditch your current insane 13.4+ leaned out WOT fueling and reset for 12.8 - 12.6. This may require a call to find out approximately how many points of AFR does each "number" change create. There will not be an exact on this but he should, by now, have a good understanding of how much richer the KLX goes with each numeric change in the WOT area.

Lastly, you certainly should be happy with the way your bike performs now - you are probably somewhere between 27 and 28 hp with more available ( due to your leaned out WOT fueling ).

Last edited by Klxster; 04-08-2024 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

For those interested:
He did use SAE correction factor ( CF:SAE ) - which is good. Lots of "tuners" use Standard correction factor ( CF:STD ) which is a improper/shady practice as STD inflates the power numbers.
While it IS possible to set the gearing ratio (within the Power Core software), while setting up the session parameters, I've not seen any evidence that ANY "tuners" know how to bring up that particular settings panel within the software - KLX 300 5th gear is 1.050, 4th is a "wrong" 1.25..

Quick Reply: KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.