KLX300 drake disc fit 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX300 drake disc fit 2010?

Hi guys

Does anyone know whether the brake disc rotor's for a KLX300 are the same size (and fittings) as the 2010 model KLX? From the looks of it the mounting points are the same. I just want to know whether the rotor's outer diameter is the same.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

rear is diffrent for sure (09-10 is bigger), the front might have diffrent bolt pattern. ebc offers great replacement rotors fyi, they call them supercross contour. what/why are you looking to change them? that adds complexity to the question, so we can help you better.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 12-20-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi mate. I'm pretty sure the holes will line up on the rotor, just that they are too small on the 300. They will require drilling out (larger.) A good upgrade for the front brake is a rotor from a KDX200/220. Bolt on option if you can find a cheap one on Ebay.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I got an second set of wheels for my 2010 model off a 1997 KLX (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...479#post435479), but the rotor on the wheel is too small. So the brake pads are only gripping the edge of the rotor - so I want to replace them with new discs.

Rocky Mountain ATV lists some cheap Tusks discs for a KLX300 (Rear: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...dFamilyId=9642 and Front: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...dFamilyId=3135). It doesn't list any discs for the 2009/2010 models.

So from what you are saying WestOzKLX, it doesn't sound like using the KLX300 disc would work on my 2010 KLX250? DOH!

Name:  Reardiscedge.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  57.7 KB

Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want to upgrade the front go to a 300 mm disc rotor from a KLX650C. I think the hub pattern is the same, I know it's the same as the older KLX300 and KDX200/220. An adapter block will be needed to move the caliper, but the much larger rotor will work wonders on power. The adapter could be fabricated from some aluminum plate scraps obtained from some metal fabricator company. Most scrap would be 6061T so it would be good stuff.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/3794/ cheap replacement, and baller upgrade all in one. just get better pads (i chose ebc), and stainless brakelines, and you have a killer brake set up, ask me how i know.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Arctra, is this for a repair/damage refit or are you trying to increase braking power? If for power, I'd say a metal braided line would probably do the job just fine. The totally stock front brake on my '06 does just fine in the dirt, and frankly I almost skid the ***** off my tires on pavement when really showering down on the front brake. Arctra, you seem to mainly ride dirt. For me having too much and too touchy a front brake on the dirt is a bit of a negative. Good modulation and adequate power seem to be more important. Now, if one is modding an "S" model to a motard, maybe the additional power will be a real benefit on pavement with road oriented tires.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If you want to upgrade the front go to a 300 mm...
Thanks mate, but I am not looking for an upgrade. I want something the exact same size as stock because this set of wheels is my "on road" set, and the set that came with the bike are my "off road" set. I want to be able to switch between them easily as I use my bike for commuting to work during the week, then hitting the trails on weekends. Thanks for the advice anyway - I'm sure someone will find it useful (if they use the search function).

Originally Posted by TNC
Arctra, is this for a repair/damage refit or are you trying to increase braking power?
As mentioned above, this is more of a replacement rather than an upgrade

Originally Posted by TNC
If for power, I'd say a metal braided line would probably do the job just fine. The totally stock front brake on my '06 does just fine in the dirt, and frankly I almost skid the ***** off my tires on pavement when really showering down on the front brake.
I have bought myself a braided front line, I am just waiting for my mate to come back from the UK with it.

My concern is not so much with braking power. It's more that the disc currently on the rear wheel is too small a diameter so the brake pads are only gripping the edge of the disc (see the photo above). I assume this is going to lead to the brake pads wearing unevenly, and fear the brake calipre will be damaged due to the uneven pressure being placed on the pistons that push the pads onto the disc. Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Rather than just guess, would anyone with a KLX300/KLR650/KX250/etc be willing to take a few measurements for me to compare my rotors with? Below are images of rotors showing why i think are the necessary measurements for me to confirm whether other bike rotors will fit.

Rear rotor:
A - From middle of securing bolt to the middle of the bolt the opposide side
B - Outer-most edge to outer-most edge the opposite side of the disc
C - From middle of securing bolt to the middle of the bolt next to it
Name:  Rearbrakedisc.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  31.3 KB

Front rotor:
A - From middle of securing bolt to the middle of the bolt the opposide side
B - Outer-most edge to outer-most edge the opposite side of the disc
C - From middle of securing bolt to the middle of the bolt next to it
Name:  Frontbrakedisc.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  38.2 KB

Thanks in advance guys

Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Arctra. Just a thought, but the caliper holder on the swingarm may have a different rise. The part for the earlier bikes with the suqare swingarm (same as my 07) may put the caliper on the disc in the correct spot. May pick one up from a breakers cheaply. The KLX 07 part is about AUS $160 and the same part for the 2010 model (yours) is about AUS $200. Cheaper than the rear disc (OE) as they go for AUS $247 for the 2010 and AUS $261 for the 07.

The part numbers for both the rear disc and the caliper holder on both models are different suggesting they are suited to the different size rear discs fitted to the appropriate models. Just thinking outside the box. changing the caliper mount when you change the wheels is no biggie and will only add a few extra minutes to the job. Get lookin' at the local breaker or call some of the breakers in the back of the bike buyers guide.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Does that work? Does anybody knows if we can swap the caliper holder from an 06 with an 09 ?

Quick Reply: KLX300 drake disc fit 2010?