Klx250sf starting with choke on but dying when given throttle or taking choke off

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 AM
Default Klx250sf starting with choke on but dying when given throttle or taking choke off

Hey I just bought a klx250sf and I don't know much about bikes. When I start it with the choke on it starts right up but as soon as I give it any throttle it stalls. If I try to take it off choke it will also die. This was after it warmed up for over 15 minutes. Anyone have this issue and know how to fix it? Thanks

Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

You likely need to clean the carb. Sounds like the pilot jet is clogged...and the main could certainly be as well.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

^ this
You may want to have a spare pilot jet on hand when you get into the carb. They are fairly inexpensive and difficult to properly clean such a small orifice.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

It may also be clogged in the fuel passage, which may require either a carb washer or ultrasonic cleaner bath at some car or bike shop. They work the cleaner into the passages you cannot get into.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 PM

I appreciate the help guys. So I took the carb apart and cleaned it. Now it'll start right up with choke on. It will rev fine with choke on. If I take choke off it stalls unless I keep giving it throttle. The second I let off throttle completely it stalls.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Pilot metering circuit is still clogged. You will need to follow klx's advice and use an ultrasonic cleaner to resolve the issue.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I've used the old pinesol soak trick, many times on gummed up old carbs with great success. I've never had any issues but I have seen some people say they have destroyed old rubber seals etc doing that, so do so at your own risk.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Many automobile shops and motorcycle shops have carb washing or ultrasonic cleaning machines that work cleaner up into places and vibrate loose or work to dissolve dirt, crud and gummy old dried out gas residue. Take the body in minus jets and other easily removable jetting bits, don't worry about butterfly and linkage, also take in the float bowl just because. Shouldn't cost much since they will have no labor in it other than putting it in, taking it out, rinsing it off and handing it back to you.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:11 AM

Maybe turn the idle screw up a bit.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by papatom
Maybe turn the idle screw up a bit.
I tried that and it did idle with the choke off but pretty high around 2,000 rpm and if I tried to lower the screw it would get to around 1,200 and sound like it wanted to stall. Then I tried to start it the next day and it wouldn't even start with the choke on until I lowered the idle screw a bunch and then it at least started with the choke on but wouldn't idle with the choke off.

Quick Reply: Klx250sf starting with choke on but dying when given throttle or taking choke off