klx250sf EFI PCV or EJK

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default klx250sf EFI PCV or EJK

Hey there fellow KF members! Need a bit of help with a decision and possible a good source to buy and import.

Ok first thing i have a '10 klx 250sf EFI and been reading the forum for a while following members like JoelThailand and klxster, got much info from threads but finally thought it was time to register to find solutions specifically for my problems.

So I live in Brazil (innards not city) and recently bought the bike with 6000 km on the ODO. First EFI bike last bike was a carbed xr250. So usually first thing is airbox and exhaust mod along with carb but reading here I see thats not the way to go causing EFI bikes to run too LEAN. I already boght a uni filter but havent installed because of what i read on the forum and bike runs great just a tad bit WEAK.

So on to the main first mod decision a controller. Power Commander 5 or EJK have in mind that i have limited resources so no dyno and do not want to waste on something i cant use even thought from what i read th PCV is the better option and the one i wanted but dont know how hard it would be to get maps or how to install them. Just really needed some info on whats the better option on my situation and being a bit of a newbie and limited resources i will be doing most things my self.

Any info on full costs for both systems would be great!
If any one has any good deals please feel free

Old 03-01-2017, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

The Power Commanders come in a kit and they're plug and play. The hardest part of this in my opinion would be finding somewhere on the bike where the control module will be easily accessible, but not open to the elements or get in the way of important parts. I can't speak for an EFI klx because we only get them carb'd here in the states, but on the sportbikes I've owned, the PCV will come with instructions and tell you what to plug into, then all you'll have to do is plug it into a computer to 'download and install' maps to the ECU to change the fuel settings. There should also be a way that you can open a map and customize it, although I would leave that to a professional.

Other companies you can look into are Bazzaz and Cobra, which have autotune systems that read the exhaust from the O2 sensor and automatically adjust the fuel mixture. I'm not sure if they have a system compatible for your bike, but it would be worth looking into as they are cheaper than the DynoJet PCV

Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Lemon thanks for the reply im going to look into those other controller brands my only problem is the user base and how hard it would be to get maps seeing as for no one on here or a few other forums have used those specifically on the klx 250 so that worries me on future support man i wish i had carb HAHA! thanks a bunch any ways. Side note do you ride in the rain withou snorkel? I bought the same filter as you but i get rain a few times a week.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem buddy! That's one of the good things about this forum and the community here, lots of help and tons of knowledge. Like I said, any decent tune shop would be able to help setup a custom map, or you might be able to contact the company directly and let them know what add-ons you've done performance-wise and see if they can make a map for you. Then all you would have to do is download it and flash it over to the bike's computer via plug-in. If you're really that worried about getting a custom map, I would definitely just go with the PCV and get the autotuner they have, although it will cost quite a bit (PCV $399.99+Autotuner $324.99). It's an automatic adjuster, but will still allow you to go in and change the air/fuel ratios yourself for different throttle openings, and it's possible to even change it per gear (i.e. highway cruising in 6th, less fuel for better mpg)

Yes, unfortunately I have been caught in the rain a couple times without the snorkel. I still have the lid on, but I haven't sucked up any water from removing the snorkel. I don't do a whole lot of offroading or intentionally splashing around in puddles, but when I do, there hasn't been an issue. Just make sure the rear guard is sealed pretty tight, and your plastics are on properly.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah well kind of made up then might as well go with the PC5 if anything ill get the autotune incase I cant get a map hopefully other members will chime in with maps for me ... about the snorkel was looking into the kdx200 one but your idea saves some green lol thanks again

Old 03-02-2017, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't have experience with a PC, but I own two EJK units. I'll give you my opinion on it. It's really easy to install; simply plug it in and go. It takes a few minutes to understand what all the values mean but once you play around with it, it's incredibly easy. You start out with the recommended settings off their website and take her for a ride. If things aren't smooth, you adjust from there. Add fuel here, subtract fuel there (3 places to add/subtract fuel: cruising, accelerating, WOT). And there are three adjustment points for switching (when the computer knows to switch from cruising to accelerating, for example) It took me maybe 15 minutes of riding around to get everything dialed in.

For me specifically I like it because you can adjust all the parameters on the fly. I've mounted my unit on the triple clamp and can adjust it from there (while riding if need be). I'll only do it say, when cruising and want to lean it out a bit to save gas. Also when I go to the mountains.

On the downside, the unit is only good for a specific displacement. If you order the 250cc version and later put a big bore on your bike, you'll need to send your unit back to have it reprogrammed. They'll do it free, but you'll need to pay the shipping. (That's why I have two...didn't want any downtime)

In the end, for me, it just made more sense to have something I could adjust on the fly and not mess around with maps. Plus they have a military discount, so I got it a bit cheaper. If you have no elevation change at all and want something to "set and forget" then mayne the PC is a better option?

Last edited by outrecording; 03-02-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Hi Jean

I've got the UK spec 'S' version and there are some things you can do before spending money!

With the standard exhaust you can remove the snorkel or replace with the larger KDX version, don't run lidless as it gets HOT (too lean).
I assume you have already shorted out the clutch switch? This is essential!
Then do the MCM cam tweak, this makes a huge difference! I've been at this stage for nearly a year and all is well with a nice looking plug. When I first got it I had trouble getting more than 60mph out of it, but with the above its happy to sit on the motorway at 75mph and can goto 80mph on full throttle, and I'm about 210lbs in old money.

EJK is the controller of choice for ease of use, mine is onroute as we speak from the US, next will be zorst and then maybe BB351.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Only get a PCV with autotune module but expensive & only worth getting with a big bore kit IMHO.

The EJK is quick easy & works great on the 250. The guys at DOBECK PERFORMANCE offer very good backup & customer care.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies guys really means alot... Joel is here great! most my info came from reading your posts lol. so ok in the future i will be doing big bore (kk330) do you still think ejk will be a better option? I was gonna go PC5 and ask you for the maps Joel hehe . what do you say? if not ill just get ejk just is gonna suck sending it back all the way from brazil to get it reprogrammed.

Nige yeah definitley did the clutch switch mod im about 160lbs and got up to 150kph so not bad at all loving the bike just wish it had more power and for MCM I dont know a good mechanic here to do it and me myself no way. but im going to get a better look at it. would webcams be a better deal?

outrecording great feedback on the ejk helped some and more can you send me a pic of how you got it mounted on your bike so i can get a better idea? what L/km are getting? on mine stock i get 25km per liter is that about right?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry i took so long to reply!!! vacation and summer here in brazil

Quick Reply: klx250sf EFI PCV or EJK