Klx250s melted piston help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilapples
I think Bill goes away on holiday’s alot, but he will answer you eventually. Just leave an email.
What is his email? there isn't one on his site?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lockie666
What is his email? there isn't one on his site?
Try: b_jblue@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep just email him and wait for a reply, he will answer you assuming he is home.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Update on my situation, my 351 kit is on a plane to Australia as we speak!

What jets can you suggest I use and should I leave the carby as it is and put it all back together or should I rejet it while it's all apart now?

I've also got all new valves springs collets stem seals and everything for the head I just need to get the valve seats reset and new valves and stuff.

Oh and a suggestion on how many teeth sproket I should be using, I do 50/50 on and offroad. Onroad it's usually on the freeway so I need to be able to sit on 100 110Kmh without revving the *** out of it.

Cheers to everyone for helping me get to where I am now

Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

On jets, Mr. Blue recommended +1 on pilot and +2 on main. I'm using the stock carb and bumped the pilot from #35 to #35 Kaw jet, and main from #124 to #132 dynojet. I also moved the clip down one on the needle (from 2nd to 3rd notch from the top).

Old 12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

For some reason, your down-under main jetting is quite a bit different than the jetting up here, so specific jet size recommendations from the north may not apply.

Usually with a big bore, you don't have to make much of a change with the main jet. The reason for this is that with a larger displacement more air is being drawn into the engine for the same piston speed. This increases the intake velocity. The increased intake velocity adds more fuel automatically.

If I remember correctly, the oem main jet for my 2006 was a 118. With the 351 a 120 main works best for me.

Ron

Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Ron:
My oem main Kaw jet was a 118 also. Bill recommends +1 on the pilot and +2 on the main. This recommendation should translate to the down-under folks too, I suppose. Who knows, Bill may be recommending a little on the conservative side to decrease the chances of lean running.

I can agree with your point on more air flow equals higher velocity in the venturi (carb) which decreases pressure in the venture which in turn causes more fuel flow through a jet. A jet operates on the orifice equation, which is a power equation so a given increase in pressure on the jet will result in increased fuel flow, but the relationship is not linear (e.g. 50% pressure increase on the orifice pressure can yield about 24% more flow on one example I just tried). Since the venture is also a power equation, maybe this all works out in a balance where a 25% air flow increase yields about 25% increased fuel flow. I dunno...just rambling thoughts.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 12-23-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Ron:
My oem main Kaw jet was a 118 also. Bill recommends +1 on the pilot and +2 on the main. This recommendation should translate to the down-under folks too, I suppose. Who knows, Bill may be recommending a little on the conservative side to decrease the chances of lean running.

I can agree with your point on more air flow equals higher velocity in the venturi (carb) which decreases pressure in the venture which in turn causes more fuel flow through a jet. A jet operates on the orifice equation, which is a power equation so a given increase in pressure on the jet will result in increased fuel flow, but the relationship is not linear (e.g. 50% pressure increase on the orifice pressure can yield about 24% more flow on one example I just tried). Since the venture is also a power equation, maybe this all works out in a balance where a 25% air flow increase yields about 25% increased fuel flow. I dunno...just rambling thoughts.
I think about these kinds of things, too. I guess we need to get a life.

Ron

Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Ride more! Thimk less!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Ride more! Thimk less!
I was also thimking about riding!

Ron

Quick Reply: Klx250s melted piston help?