KLX250S --Fuel gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Those cap gauges are used on snowmobiles, fairly accurate on 12 gallon tanks but not sure they would reach deep enough into the klx tank? On down side is when you pull the cap you bring a lot of dripping fuel with it (unless your empty).

I wanted one for my generator and found: http://www.kelch.com/html/products/p...gory.php?cid=2 had them in all shapes and sizes and made them for just about everyone.
Yeah, bikes with backbone frames and a central gas cap won't be good candidates for fuel cap style guages.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

There's a value in those translucide aftermarket tanks...

Yet for me, the trip gage is enough, once you get used to it.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:46 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Another solution is to always ride with a guy who's on a KLR650. There will be more than enough fuel to go around.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default sight glass

hey add a sight glass like a hydro oil holding tank bet no ones done that

Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I have looked for these at few places but can't find them...any Canadian riders out there that know where we can buy these in Canada. And Deej, how different are these from the aluminum drinking bottles out there...I'm assuming the seal may be a bit different, but the can and cap look exactly the same. thanks

Originally Posted by deej
Yep trip meter every time I fill it up. I also don't go to the gas station with the bike unless I'm on a trip. I have like 6 gas cans at home. If you reset the trip meter every time you fill the bike up, at around the 70 mile mark its time to fill it again. And if you are really worried, you can do like I do, any time I am going to adventure into the unknown, I carry a couple of these....

Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

The fuel bottles are a bit thicker walled and also marked as "fuel" bottles. Check at a local place that sells logger supplies or some other industrial jobber.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried to use , as you said an almost identical looking water bottle. Filled it up and laid it on it's side in the garage to test it. After a few days exactly what I was afraid of, the seal failed. Gasoline really did a number on it.
Dan

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

On page 22 of the owners manual of my new 09 under Meter Instruments D it says it's for Odometer/Trip AB/Fuel warning Message and I thought it might have a low fuel warning that might come on at or near reserve but I drained the old gas left in the tank by the dealer and turned on the ignition expecting to see a fuel warning message but nothing. I guess it might be for the EFI models but it never mentioned it again.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trevi
I have looked for these at few places but can't find them...any Canadian riders out there that know where we can buy these in Canada. And Deej, how different are these from the aluminum drinking bottles out there...I'm assuming the seal may be a bit different, but the can and cap look exactly the same. thanks
Thats not much gas anyways, Right? 30oz?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rstru70828
On page 22 of the owners manual of my new 09 under Meter Instruments D it says it's for Odometer/Trip AB/Fuel warning Message and I thought it might have a low fuel warning that might come on at or near reserve but I drained the old gas left in the tank by the dealer and turned on the ignition expecting to see a fuel warning message but nothing. I guess it might be for the EFI models but it never mentioned it again.
I have never seen a light come on, the bike just starts to choke when its getting low on gas.

Quick Reply: KLX250S --Fuel gauge?