KLX250S Driveability Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ricknzep
I have an 09 S , Two Brothers, N1TC needle, jet, cut open airbox, no smog, pilot out about 2 1/2 turns, drilled slide also. I start my bike by hitting the starter, then pull out choke slowly till she fires, then I leave the choke on full for a minute. If I just kill the choke it runs crappy and stalls until fully warm like your bike does. My trick is to play with the throttle a few times until I get the bike to rev up above 7-8K before I attempt to drive off. Sometimes it will stall out or require 1/2 choke to get it to rev up, but once it revs up it runs great and doesn't hesitate or stall at all.
Yeah, I've done that a couple times when I was in a hurry. Generally I haven't been in that much of a hurry though, and usually just start the bike right away and let it idle for the 5 minutes or so while I get myself ready to ride.
As I say, it hasn't really been a big problem, I just find it curious that one bike only takes a minute to warm up, while the other one takes 5 minutes.
Both of them seem to idle fine after just a short time with the choke on.

I think I might try swapping carbs as NDKLX'd suggested.

We haven't had these bikes long enough to really justify doing too much to them. My son is just learning to ride, and I hadn't been on a bike for 25 years up until we got these bikes this fall. Right now we are up to our knees in snow everywhere, so we probably won't get seriously riding til March. It's great to get input now from others with experience.
Thanks