KLX250s Bottom end mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Add skidplate on your early mods. Mine payed itself already after first ride.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
With all the mods you want and the performance you hope, you will be spending close too what ktm 450exc costs. Plus it has sweet suspension. As I said before, it's a race bike in a dual sport clothing.
my bet is you'll have a buyers remorse big time with all your expectation of the klx which it just
Is not.
But Pogi, there's more going on when you're comparing the KLX to KTM type bikes. There's a long term durability issue and frequency of service issue between these two bikes that's fairly noticeable. Power comes at a price on all of these 250-450 race bikes, and even though the race bikes aren't ultrafragile glass slippers, they are not anvil-like in the vein of the KLX. I'm not bashing KTMs or any of these types of bikes, as I'd like to have a '12 Husky 250 or 310, but they won't provide the long term durability and ease of service of bikes like the KLX.

And when you compare new-to-new prices between the KLX and some of these other bikes, you're talking $4000-$5000 difference easily. For $2000 you can do an amazing number of mods to the engine and suspension on the KLX that still don't take it out of that ultrareliable category. Another thing to consider is that some places won't allow a KTM to be street registered, and this issue is getting tighter and tighter as the fed pushes emissions more strongly.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
But Pogi, there's more going on when you're comparing the KLX to KTM type bikes. There's a long term durability issue and frequency of service issue between these two bikes that's fairly noticeable. Power comes at a price on all of these 250-450 race bikes, and even though the race bikes aren't ultrafragile glass slippers, they are not anvil-like in the vein of the KLX. I'm not bashing KTMs or any of these types of bikes, as I'd like to have a '12 Husky 250 or 310, but they won't provide the long term durability and ease of service of bikes like the KLX.

And when you compare new-to-new prices between the KLX and some of these other bikes, you're talking $4000-$5000 difference easily. For $2000 you can do an amazing number of mods to the engine and suspension on the KLX that still don't take it out of that ultrareliable category. Another thing to consider is that some places won't allow a KTM to be street registered, and this issue is getting tighter and tighter as the fed pushes emissions more strongly.
Good point! I just love my klx. It grows with your driving skills. Upgrade as needed

Last edited by Pogiboy; 05-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
Good point! I just love my klx. It grows with your driving skills. Upgrade as needed
Yes, I love my KLX too. I've really put pen-to-paper on some of these plated race-type bikes. For me, all of them will need a bigger gas tank. When you add fuel injection to the equation, the aftermarket or factory larger option tank (if even available) will cost around $400-$500...or more. Having the requirement of the pump in the tank really bumps up the complexity and cost of the tank.

And even though the suspension as delivered on these high tech bikes is head-and-shoulders above the KLX as delivered, it's very common to need a front and/or rear spring swap for a perfect match to the rider...and some even need revalving despite their delivered cost and high tech design.

Most people think these high zoot bikes come totally ready to ride without having to spend a penny. That's almost never the case, so the price continues to creep up even after that high initial cost of admission.