KLX250 EFI SubThrottle Error (Need Help!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Default KLX250 EFI SubThrottle Error (Need Help!!)

Hallo there...

I'm new here, so nice to meet you guys...

I have a 2012 klx250 EFI,, now I had a problem on it...

I have an error on my Subthrottle,, is anyone here had a same issue?? and how about solution??? I hv search on the web but can't found a thing,, some people here said that I must replace the whole Throttle Body.. Is it true?? ( I hope I shouldnt do this, because a Throttle body was too pricey for me)

And the last, can I replace klx's Throttle body with CBR's?? I see that CBR has a bigger venturi,, and cheaper also..

Thx mate

Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi, welcome to the forum....we with EFi bikes are very small compared to the carby boys on here!!

And the last, can I replace klx's Throttle body with CBR's?? I see that CBR has a bigger venturi,, and cheaper also..
I would think this would be a very very difficult thing to do. All the connectors would be different & the kawasaki ecu would not work with the cbr throttle body, just to think of a few of many problems!!

I have a 2012 klx250 EFI,, now I had a problem on it...

I have an error on my Subthrottle,, is anyone here had a same issue?? and how about solution???

What exactly do you mean by subthrottle error??? Have you taken out the Subt butterfly & now you have a FI red warning light on the dash? If this warning light is on you have triggered a level 1 limp-home mode, which means your ignition timing will not advance higher than it is at idle....to protect the engine from being able to run fast or go to high rpm!!

It's rare but when you remove the subt butterfly, the square shaft on the opposite end to the oval concentric cam lobe can rotate the little square plastic shaft end a few extra degrees in the sensor....hence triggering the red FI warning light!!

I was told i needed a new throttle body to fix this & it's very expensive....No way am i spending 500 bucks on a new throttle body!!! In the end i removed everything in the picture & cut off an inch from the top square end of the shaft & unscrewed the whole subt sensor unit on the left hand side of the throttle body & it took about 30 mins in the end to marry up together the subt servo motor to rotate in the subt sensor in the correct position & hey presto the FI warning light has stayed off ever since.

The servo motor basically rotates backwards & forwards by 45 degrees. If you can imagine how the subt butterfly moves/rotates in normal operation. The sensor is there to detect if the butterfly is rotating to much or to little when running. So the inch long cutting of the plastic shaft in the correct position will fool the sensor into thinking everything is good with the butterfly shaft, even if everything is removed like i have done! Not seen the FI light in 6000miles of running

Last edited by JoelThailand; 09-20-2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 AM

hahahah Im just thinking to convert cbr's throttle body.. guess its gonna be difficult

Yeah I hv my FI light turned on,, and when Im doing doing a self diagnose, it said 62.. "Subthrottle error bla bla bla"

Actually, in my bike the problem is, when I first started the bike on the morning, the RPM not automatically revs higher,, but just stuck in a low rpm like a carb bike...

Yeah it's an instant killing to my wallet, if i buy a new throttle body

Hmmm.. Ok Im gonna try open the Throttle body,, the Butterfly and try to do what u've did..

btw thx for the help mate

Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sub throttle issues

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Hi, welcome to the forum....we with EFi bikes are very small compared to the carby boys on here!!

I would think this would be a very very difficult thing to do. All the connectors would be different & the kawasaki ecu would not work with the cbr throttle body, just to think of a few of many problems!!

What exactly do you mean by subthrottle error??? Have you taken out the Subt butterfly & now you have a FI red warning light on the dash? If this warning light is on you have triggered a level 1 limp-home mode, which means your ignition timing will not advance higher than it is at idle....to protect the engine from being able to run fast or go to high rpm!!

It's rare but when you remove the subt butterfly, the square shaft on the opposite end to the oval concentric cam lobe can rotate the little square plastic shaft end a few extra degrees in the sensor....hence triggering the red FI warning light!!

I was told i needed a new throttle body to fix this & it's very expensive....No way am i spending 500 bucks on a new throttle body!!! In the end i removed everything in the picture & cut off an inch from the top square end of the shaft & unscrewed the whole subt sensor unit on the left hand side of the throttle body & it took about 30 mins in the end to marry up together the subt servo motor to rotate in the subt sensor in the correct position & hey presto the FI warning light has stayed off ever since.

The servo motor basically rotates backwards & forwards by 45 degrees. If you can imagine how the subt butterfly moves/rotates in normal operation. The sensor is there to detect if the butterfly is rotating to much or to little when running. So the inch long cutting of the plastic shaft in the correct position will fool the sensor into thinking everything is good with the butterfly shaft, even if everything is removed like i have done! Not seen the FI light in 6000miles of running
I would like to understand more about the re-alignment you did with the sub throttle please. Mis-alignment between the spindle and servo motor (in a rotary sense), or transversely?

My sub throttle did vibrate/buzz but voltage of actuator is correct.

Thank you.