KLX250/300 v KLX450

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Off-road-only for the Japanese offerings, though, at least here in the U.S. That's a major selling point, or non-selling point depending on how you look at it, for a lot of people. More and more areas being shut down, having a plate can open up more places to ride legal, forest service roads, for example, and the ability to connect trails with short segments of pavement. Most of my riding would not be possible without the plate.
This is what makes the EXC's so desirable.. Little compromise.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Power is all relative. Happiness is not determined by torque or reel wheel spin. I've had fun on my moped. The KLX after a couple of what I call minor mods is the exact bike I wanted and will never get rid of. Its all good.
Yes...and no.

The best time I had on my KLX was in the Tillamook forest outside of Portland, Oregon. The trails were hardpack, with just a few muddy spots. I had changed the jetting to match all of you low altitude guys before leaving New Mexico. The bike performed very well, better than I had expected. At home, in the high desert, in the soft sand and choking dust, it leaves a lot to be desired. It simply isn't enough motor to pull my fat *** around. I tried a friend's KTM525, and found that for some applications (the sandy arroyos above 5000ft), the KLX is not satisfactory (even as a 300).

My 2006 KLX still looks new (although not quite as clean as yours Deej). It's worth so little now, there is no way I'll sell it. I just don't know what to do with it. It is honestly not powerful enough in the mountains and desert of north central New Mexico to be much fun. I would really like to have a street legal 450 with the same saddle height as my KLX. Unfortunately for me, the manufacturers seem to think that all the 450s (KLX450R included) need a seat height of 37 inches. Eventually, I plan to retire in the northwest, so I guess I'll hang on to the KLX. Maybe one of my kids (all grown) or their kids (if they ever have any) will get some use out of it.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

You can lower most bikes...
I have a 525 SMR, which is about the same ride height as the KLX.. Only the shock dosn't suit off road riding.. I hope to change the spring to fix the stiff shock eventually. Not only that, but just because you can't touch the ground, dosn't mean it's not the bike for you. It's nice if you can be large enough to flat foot on a bike, or be bigger to be able to have the body weight to throw the bike around, but not necessary.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
just because you can't touch the ground, dosn't mean it's not the bike for you. It's nice if you can be large enough to flat foot on a bike, or be bigger to be able to have the body weight to throw the bike around, but not necessary.
I've given it some thought...if I was in my 20s or 30s...

I don't ride my KLX to the mountains because of the fuel range (and the seat). I'm tired of loading it into the pickup to get to the trails. Basically, I'm too old and fat and lazy for the off road action anymore. The last time I loaded up the bike, I rolled the step I use. I saved the bike from dropping, but nearly killed myself in the process. I'm so out of shape it hurts (literally). My knees are going now too...I'm just the leisurely fire road guy now...it doesn't stop me from wanting a 450 (or 525), but it has stopped me from buying one. I bought a BMW because I thought it would be comfortable (and I'm all about the comfort now). I was wrong, the seat is only marginally better than the KLX (but way better than the KTM).

Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
why does a ktm(almost anything) get a plate but klx450 doesn't?
is it a Europe thing vs Asian thing?
seems like they don't have a level play ground?
I don't know the answer to that, but that's never stopped me from offering a guess.

I would ASSume there is an application process a vehicle manufacturer must go through with the federal gobmnt to make their product street legal in the US which probably includes paying large fees just to file said application, collect a lot of data, answer a lot of questions, pass a lot of tests, prove this and that, pay for independent testing, jump through some more hoops, install some additional emissions hardware, jump through even more hoops, pass even more emissions testing, install additional safety equipment, pass sound level test, etc, etc, all of which is probably a royal PITA, tons of documentation and test results, and layer upon layer of government bureaucracy that no one in their right mind would want to wade through. Apparently, KTM and a few others are willing to do that for us. The big 4, apparently, are not willing. I would again ASSume the higher up at the Japanese companies figure the "plated off-road" market in the U.S. is too small to bother with all that, considering their bikes are street legalizable in just about every other country in the world, the U.S. market being the odd man out, and to go to all that trouble for a plate in that one market is probably more trouble than it is worth.

For KTM and Husqvarna, though, that "small" market probably seems pretty good size to them, since they are far smaller companies by comparison to the big 4 Japanese.

Then again, all that's just my wild guess, I have no real knowledge of any of the above, so take that for what you paid for it.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Power is all relative. Happiness is not determined by torque or reel wheel spin.
Yup just like girls say the size of your shaft does not matter.....riiiiiiight.

Originally Posted by warski
Yes...and no.

My 2006 KLX still looks new (although not quite as clean as yours Deej). It's worth so little now, there is no way I'll sell it. I just don't know what to do with it. It is honestly not powerful enough in the mountains and desert of north central New Mexico to be much fun.
True dat....and I'm not a serious biker by any stretch of the term....but I like sand and like to go fast.

I've ridden the ktm 450's....and well....ya it's heads above a klx ..... but I was not that impressed.....now a two-smoke ktm 300 xc-w....whoooo nellie....that bike is IT!!!!!!! I'd already own one....but I'm not fast enough on my klx.....perhaps a year or so....if the phishing is slow

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I was wrong, the seat is only marginally better than the KLX (but way better than the KTM).
ha, ha, ha, ha ...... thats me ..... I bought my ktm adv to be my cruiser.....lol....that thing will vibrate your fillings out.....but damn is it fun to ride and my cheeks always hurt from smiling when I get off her....don't get me wrong...I like my lil klx ...BUT THAT ADV ........ I luv her almost as much as my skiff.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I've given it some thought...if I was in my 20s or 30s...

I don't ride my KLX to the mountains because of the fuel range (and the seat). I'm tired of loading it into the pickup to get to the trails. Basically, I'm too old and fat and lazy for the off road action anymore. The last time I loaded up the bike, I rolled the step I use. I saved the bike from dropping, but nearly killed myself in the process. I'm so out of shape it hurts (literally). My knees are going now too...I'm just the leisurely fire road guy now...it doesn't stop me from wanting a 450 (or 525), but it has stopped me from buying one. I bought a BMW because I thought it would be comfortable (and I'm all about the comfort now). I was wrong, the seat is only marginally better than the KLX (but way better than the KTM).

Hey Warski,

I am not tall - 5'8" and struggle with the seat height. My bike is only three months old and I have dropped the thing about 50 times ( mostly when stopped!) the bike has heaps of scratches and dents but don't care. I get back on and keep riding, - this thing is such a hoot to ride.

On another matter. I find it hard to follow your plate rules in USA. In most states of Australia (I live in NSW), unless your bike is fully road legal the only place you can ride it is private property. To gain access to the forests, and fire trails on crown land you need the full road registration. There is no point in any other plate. To make the bikes eligible the local importers upgrade the bikes with lighting, guards etc to meet the regulations. Took Kawasaki almost a year to get the KLX450 up to standard - we have a different headlight as a result. Cannot see why your local importers do not do the same.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I don't know the answer to that, but that's never stopped me from offering a guess.

I would ASSume there is an application process a vehicle manufacturer must go through with the federal gobmnt to make their product street legal in the US which probably includes paying large fees just to file said application, collect a lot of data, answer a lot of questions, pass a lot of tests, prove this and that, pay for independent testing, jump through some more hoops, install some additional emissions hardware, jump through even more hoops, pass even more emissions testing, install additional safety equipment, pass sound level test, etc, etc, all of which is probably a royal PITA, tons of documentation and test results, and layer upon layer of government bureaucracy that no one in their right mind would want to wade through. Apparently, KTM and a few others are willing to do that for us. The big 4, apparently, are not willing. I would again ASSume the higher up at the Japanese companies figure the "plated off-road" market in the U.S. is too small to bother with all that, considering their bikes are street legalizable in just about every other country in the world, the U.S. market being the odd man out, and to go to all that trouble for a plate in that one market is probably more trouble than it is worth.

For KTM and Husqvarna, though, that "small" market probably seems pretty good size to them, since they are far smaller companies by comparison to the big 4 Japanese.

Then again, all that's just my wild guess, I have no real knowledge of any of the above, so take that for what you paid for it.

That makes total sense, but I also find it funny, that it's all the european brands, or exotics that are much more easily streetable. Such as Gas Gas, Husky, Husaberg.. There are a couple crf450X's around here that are streeted as well (must be something about them)..

Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

People really need to select a bike for their size/weight and especially purpose. The KLX isn't a fast bike but has more than enough power to do some pretty ambitious off road riding. Just this past Sunday I climbed some really long steep inclines that I was kind of nervous to go back down because they were so steep. Hell I've even climbed inclines that I couldn't go back down on occasion. The bike pulls really well through tough spots on tight trails if you keep the right rpm and ballance. I weigh 160lbs so the bike responds well to my weight and the bike is stock. Nothing but smiles here.

Mike

Quick Reply: KLX250/300 v KLX450