KLX250/300 v KLX450

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Off-road-only for the Japanese offerings, though, at least here in the U.S. That's a major selling point, or non-selling point depending on how you look at it, for a lot of people. More and more areas being shut down, having a plate can open up more places to ride legal, forest service roads, for example, and the ability to connect trails with short segments of pavement. Most of my riding would not be possible without the plate.
Exactly. Plus we don't have a pickup truck or a trailor. With the trails all being so close (7 miles for the 4-wheeler stuff and 20 miles to singletrack) the convenience factor is very high. And yes, hopping between most trails requires some blacktop / gravel roads. And since our ranger district finally started enforcing the "No cross-country" rule that the USFS put in place, that leaves very little actual trail to ride.

And as someone said, this is a great beginner bike, Its my first bike. Yeah, I'll probably outgrow it by the time it is paid off, but I'm having a blast with it 9 months in, and there are enough mods left to do that I doubt I get bored with it for a long time. It may not wheelie over backwards like the 450 will, but it has loads enough power for the tight trails we ride, and the high-end for the fast stuff, too. I'm not Jonathan Beille, I'm Cliff D, noob-tard on a dualsport.

There is a market for the KLX450R, I'd love to get one, but until they make a plated KLX450 then I won't get one. Depending on what money I have, and if I have a truck, I'll decide if my next bike is plated or not, but the plated factor is a huge +++++

Old 03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

There have been guys who've gotten a KDX200 to be 'street legal' and plated. I'm sure there's some way to work a plate onto a KLX450R.

Mike

Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
There have been guys who've gotten a KDX200 to be 'street legal' and plated. I'm sure there's some way to work a plate onto a KLX450R.

Mike
There are dualsport kits available, that usually contain lights, blinkers, and a horn. Unfortunately for me, New Mexico closed that loophole several years ago. If it does not come specifically configured for street use from the manufacturer, it cannot be plated in New Mexico. If an offroad bike had been converted and plated in another state (Colorado still allows it I believe), it was possible to get a plate in New Mexico. I believe that loophole has also been closed.

So, it all depends on where you live...

Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by warski
There are dualsport kits available, that usually contain lights, blinkers, and a horn. Unfortunately for me, New Mexico closed that loophole several years ago. If it does not come specifically configured for street use from the manufacturer, it cannot be plated in New Mexico. If an offroad bike had been converted and plated in another state (Colorado still allows it I believe), it was possible to get a plate in New Mexico. I believe that loophole has also been closed.

So, it all depends on where you live...
Exactly, it's getting a lot more difficult, lots of states are cracking down. Someone from Las Vegas posted over in the KTM section on Thumpertalk of their experience getting the plate for their 09 KTM EXC which is street legal off the floor and the Nevada DMV guy made him actually show the EPA certification sticker - had to remove the gas tank to do so, it is on the frame under the tank. Doesn't matter what lights, mirrors, blinkers, horn, etc, you have on there ... no EPA certification sticker, no plate.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

My local dealer installed a Baja kit on a 450 for a customer, I think it sold for $ 10,000 Can. Similar price to a KTM 450 I believe.

As far as power goes I'm sure I couldn't ride the trails any faster on a 450 than my 250. That being said I'll trade straight up for any one who's interested.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I like my 250 just because. If I wanted to win the race on cc displacement I'd shoe horn in a "v" twin just because I can. For me, a fine tuned fully modified engine by me is more enjoyable than buying a bigger cc bike and making fun of small cc ones. Alot of people make fun of me and my 250 and half of them don't own bikes, so figure that one out. I'd ride a moped first if that all I could have. Two wheels is better than no wheels.