KLX for touring

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

touring on a klx, **** thats probally why i bought eh bike. i did 280 miles the other day for a day ride to ocotillo. i would have put up a ride report and pics but every hosting site give me problems. the bike just kept on going, doing highway speeds (65-70ish), hard pack, sand, and by the time i was done, it seamed like it wanted more. it didnt like blow sand very much though...

Old 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

no sand sand isnt cool and deep mud isnt either lmao oh and clay mud sux lol

Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Will the IMS 3.2 gallon tank fit on the 09 with relative ease?

The 3.2 gallon tank seems like a much better deal than the Clarke 2.2 tank.

I guess $ per gallon the Acerbis wins hands down but it only comes in green. Will that one fit on the 09 with relative ease?

My other option is to strap a 2 gallon tank to the back. That'll work, I guess.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
My other option is to strap a 2 gallon tank to the back. That'll work, I guess.

have you seen what deejer done to his,, he slaped to external 1.5 gallons on each side of his bike lol

Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Question

Originally Posted by tremor38
Here's a shot of it before I plugged the holes from the tool pouch and changed the tail light.

Picture tightning down the 2 bolts that go into the top of the rear subframe, then actually having to applying pressure to the forward part of the rack until it lines up with the bolt holes for the seat, inserting those bolts and tighting them down. Just the action of installing this rack noticeably strengthened the subframe.

There is another rack built for both the 06/07 and 09 KLX250s at cycleracks.com. It's not the most sleek looking thing -actually kind of ugly- but it has forward rails that bolt into the passenger peg anchor nuts, so it's really strong.

The racks that bolt exclusively to the rear subframe rails (ala stock unit for 06/07) are kind of a joke...especially if you take it off road with any kind of load.

Any clue if this rack would work on an 09'?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as fuel goes, Deej no doubt has the best homemade setup. For straps, and bungee nets, I've been attaching a net to the posts under the rear fender for the entire time I've had my 09 now (2500 miles) and never any issue with melting. If youre gonna tour the bike, I'd go with the cycleracks.com rack. Also, as far as a tank bag goes, I think Deej has a pretty nice one that works well. I'd consider putting an additional layer of foam on the seat for long distances. I've put 337 miles on my 09 in one day before and the bike was fine. Butt hated me, but the bike could've kept going.

BTW all, I removed the snorkel from my airbox the other day and the bike runs just fine without it. If you remember a couple months ago I removed the whole lid and that injected way too much air into the mixture and made the bike bog down past 5000 rpms. With just the snorkel out there is no bogging and the bike sounds a heckuva lot better...instead of sounding like a sewing machine on wheels.

I rode my friends 06' Dr650 the other day and couldn't stand it. I couldn't wait to get back on my lil' 250!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

hmmm... sprocket didn't come in yesterday. The shop has one more day and then I'll get angry. Will post my thoughts on it once I get it going. May try that snorkel removing trick... might balance out the loss in power?

And whats with the imperials! I have a 7.7 litre tank and I can currently go 115 kilometers per hour. :P

Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Check out the Wolfman Enduro Tankbag or the Expedition Series small tank bag. I think that's probably about the best one out there for the KLX, cause it's not too wide. but tall and long enough.

The Exp series is actually mounted to a 250 in the pic I think.

http://skur.net/tellico/pages/wolfman.html

Some good bags all around on this page.

Last edited by jonathanneely; 09-04-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Read this. The definitive tale of travel on small bore thumpers.

"Mondo Enduro.
This trip has assumed a life of its own. Not particularly noteworthy on paper it, by chance, featured several interesting features that together, would go to make it one of the better known of the thousands of round-the-world trips of the last fifty years. These were:

It was the first recorded crossing of the Caucasus, Central Asia, Russia and Siberia making Mondo the first Europeans to reach Magadan post collapse of the Soviet Union.
The first attempt on the Zilov Gap (a name coined by the Mondo Team).
The full length of the American and African continents subsequent to the USSR making for a very long trip in 440 days.
Unprecedented use of small (350cc) dirt-bikes for a 40,000 mile journey
Unsponsored and unsupported. All team members quite definitely 'members of the public' with no expedition experience.
Filmed on the brand new broadcast quality Hi8 format allowing a viable TV documentary to be made. However, super 8 heavily used which was relatively unusual.
Ultra detailed diaries were recorded, a truly unique resource.
Almost the last of the big trips that pre-dated mobile phones and the internet making for a quaint, almost 1970s level of technical support."
See here. http://www.mondoenduro.com/mondoenduro.html

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 09-04-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyone tried the Dirtbagz on the klx? Also is there a thread on Deejs' setup? I just met a local guy who is good with metal and welding and I think this might be a good thing.

Quick Reply: KLX for touring