KLX has been sitting, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX has been sitting, need advice.

OUCH! Glad to hear you've recoverd and are getting back into it.

Long time, no hear from! Welcome back!

+1 on just starting it first then draining the carb bowlif you're running ratty...I definitely wouldn't be pulling the carb from the get-go. Alot of us have gone back to the tried and true method of shutting-off the fuel with the engine running and letting the carb bowl run dry whenwe put'er away for the night, week, month or whatever, so you won't get all that nastiness going-on inside your carby. Pumpers are much harder to pull than the CVK, so I've been making d*mn sure to run mine dry!

Again, welcome back Bro!

I think thatpicture of your KLX stuck in the mud would make for a killer avatar...what say?

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I have been riding my VTX 1300 mostly all around the south east. I cracked my ribs and got pretty messed up off a fall I took on some powerlines on the KLX, pretty much fell onto a boulder and had my bike flip and land on top of me and smashed me into the boulder again[:-]. Well now I'm jonsing to get back into riding dirt. Has there been any signifigant mods that arose while I was gone? Its been about July since I have been on here.

Hows everyones bike doing so far. What are the major maintanence procedures that everyone agrees must be done on the bike so far since most of you probably have a ton of miles on it?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You know what's funny, I have 4 chain saws and two blowers and a couple of lawn mowers at work and also I have gas that has been sitting in gas cans for 5 years plus, and it always starts no matter what I put it in. Stabilizer? what's that? Maybe I've been lucky, but I have never drained gas for the winter out of anything ever.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I don't have as many miles as most. I lost about two months of riding at the beginning of September when I had a little get-off and broke my collar bone. See my photo section under my Avatar for the x-ray. My odo is just a speck under 4000.

Ouch man, what happened. Was it a unexpected get-off of the KLX like me?? Let me know the details or a link to the details.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 PM

Hey Incabiker, give me a yell when you wanta go ride; I rode Paulding Forest WMA on Saturday. Great place to ride but need a riding buddy in case of "problems". [:@]

Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM

Ok man, I'll let you know when the bike is up and running again. I thought that you sold the KLX a long time ago, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyways I know of a lot of places to ride around paulding, you wouldn't believe how many dirt trails we have around here. I can take you from Paulding all the way to Cartersville on mostly nothing but dirt. Are they allowing people in the WMA now? I dare not go in there, I have heard way too many horror stories of that place. The rangers are really strict and will run you down if they catch you. I heard the only way to get in there is if you are officially hunting.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I have been riding my VTX 1300 mostly all around the south east. I cracked my ribs and got pretty messed up off a fall I took on some powerlines on the KLX, pretty much fell onto a boulder and had my bike flip and land on top of me and smashed me into the boulder again[:-].

welcome back Bill, glad to hear you are doing good

Old 01-29-2007, 05:21 PM

My policy is simply never to go onto land or through a gate that has a sign saying "Posted" or "No Trespassing". The main dirt roads that go through the WMA are public roads, so you can roll thru in a semi if you want. There are many "branches" off of those main roads that go into the WMA, -none- of which have any signage forbidding entry. I've never seen a ranger there,BTW.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 AM

Hey guys what about the chain. I replaced the factory one after it snapped and cracked in about 5 diff places. Do you think it still should be good? I haven't oiled it since the last ride. Oh ya I just replaced it with a normal old chain, no X ring or whatever.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:46 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Chain should be fine. A non-o-ring chain needs more maintenance, though. Be sure and keep it oiled good - probably after every ride.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 AM

Thanks no brakes. Whats the best method of cleaning a chain? I hear some people use gasoline, ect... seems a little harsh.

Quick Reply: KLX has been sitting, need advice.