KLX converted flat tracker

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX converted flat tracker

Has anyone ever attempted to convert the KLX250s into to a flat tracker? If so, what sort of mods did you make to the suspension, compression, frame etc? What were your results like?

Flat track races look hella fun and would love to participate. I've been thinking of converting mine into one but is it even worth it?

Thanks

Old 06-25-2018, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

You can race flat track with a stock set up to see if you like it. You don't have to do anything other than tape the headlight or remove it, possibly wrap the foot pegs with some rubber and tape - depends on where you race. AMA sanctioned events will require the rubber covered pegs. You may not win, but you'll get to play. I've seen it done before when I was racing and some tracks run a "street" class for this purpose as well as to get Sportster riders out there to fall over... sorry, just teasing.

If you like it you could get a 19" front wheel from some street bike, fit the right bearings and make the right spacers to fit it and mount up some dirt track tires. Thing is the stock KLX even if you do a carb and pipe, will not come close to a 250 MX bike, even an old one. So see if you like it, then do the following:

Go find a decent used 250 MX bike, year is less important than condition. Get or build a 19" front wheel, they already would have a 19 rear. Get the suspension lowered, although you can race with it at full height it is better if lowered and a bit more firm. They use travel reducing spacers in the suspension. Durrell suspension can do the job and tune the valving if you want to do so. The stock engine will be adequate for some fun, but you may need to do some hop up with it to be competitive, maybe not. Seems some riders have done well with stock engine bikes in the AMA American Flat Track series. Ride and see. Do some reading on flat track forums and sites

Last edited by klx678; 06-26-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I say go for it and post lots of pics during the build for us to drool over

Old 06-26-2018, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Definitely considering it.

Has anyone ever removed the airbox completely and thrown a pod filter on the klx? I ride my 250s mostly in the streets. Also considering this.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Of course it can be done, but you're asking for a jetting nightmare.

I do not know where you live, but in some areas there are motorcycle clubs that have track days including short track. In eastern Ohio there is the Western Reserve Motorcycle Club, who has off road trails,but offers a TT track and a short track for track days. In north central Ohio there is the Triangle motorcycle club who allows members to ride their short track and I think they have a larger track as well. The membership is under $200/year so it's pretty cheap to play and learn. I have a street tracker Yamaha SR500 I've been wanting to finish and knowing the Triangle club is close makes me want to finish it. It is like a vintage flat tracker.

I think sliding sideways on a track or some pea gravel back road corner, or on ice with the sheet metal screws in the tread, is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. I've done ice and short track, but never a half mile. I want to do that some time. I'd do it on the KLX if I could get on a track on a track day. I don't really want to race, I just want to hot lap it.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678

I do not know where you live, but in some areas there are motorcycle clubs that have track days including short track. In eastern Ohio there is the Western Reserve Motorcycle Club, who has off road trails,but offers a TT track and a short track for track days. In north central Ohio there is the Triangle motorcycle club who allows members to ride their short track and I think they have a larger track as well. The membership is under $200/year so it's pretty cheap to play and learn. I have a street tracker Yamaha SR500 I've been wanting to finish and knowing the Triangle club is close makes me want to finish it. It is like a vintage flat tracker.

I think sliding sideways on a track or some pea gravel back road corner, or on ice with the sheet metal screws in the tread, is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. I've done ice and short track, but never a half mile. I want to do that some time. I'd do it on the KLX if I could get on a track on a track day. I don't really want to race, I just want to hot lap it.
$200 a year is a good rate. Im in Los Angeles.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Don Tripas
Definitely considering it.

Has anyone ever removed the airbox completely and thrown a pod filter on the klx? I ride my 250s mostly in the streets. Also considering this.
CV Carb's dont like pod filters, they need the volume of the airbox to ensure they get a constant pressure across the venturi (hence the name constant velocity carb) With pods, there's not strong enough pressure to open the slide needle in the midrange. I've made it work by putting the filter on the end of a tube. No issue running a pod if you switch to a no CV carb.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
CV Carb's dont like pod filters, they need the volume of the airbox to ensure they get a constant pressure across the venturi (hence the name constant velocity carb) With pods, there's not strong enough pressure to open the slide needle in the midrange. I've made it work by putting the filter on the end of a tube. No issue running a pod if you switch to a no CV carb.
Right on. So something like the Mikuni tm-33 pumper carb would work better with a pod filter?

Old 06-27-2018, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678

Sliding sideways looks so stylish!

also klx678, I encourage you to finish your SR500. those are beautiful bikes.

And I thank you for the shared knowledge!