Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: klx 250s / size rider

AMEN brother deej[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike is still stock and I think it's a hoot to ride. I'm 5' 10" and weigh about 220lbs. and I think it moves me around pretty well on the street despite all the mass it's carrying. I took it off-road this weekend and it was a blast. I followed some guys down a dirt road (mixed hard pack and soft sand...mostly soft sand, come to think of it). I couldn't keep up with the 2-strokes in the lead of the group but I kept after them at 50-55MPH and it felt like the bike could've done more.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 AM

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I'm gonna have to go against the grain here. I'm 5'7" & 155 Lbs and I would say that I would definitely go for a bigger bike if I was 90 Lbs heavier. It's a fantastic little bike but It is just a 250 after all.
couldn't agree with you more. If you weigh in at 240, you will be disappointed not only in it's low power output, but with it's spongy suspension as well. After you buy all the mods including the suspension revalving and full exhaust, you could've bought a nice 450 or 250 enduro that's street legal if you need it. In stock form, or even with or without a Muzzy full system, the bike is severely underpowered for someone of your stature. I weigh in at around 150lbs and even after I modded mine with exhaust, gearing changes, airbox, carb mods I thought it could still use about 10 more horse. But I use to MX 2-stroke bikes as well. I'm not saying you won't enjoy it, but just don't expect it to take you everywhere you want to go off-road at your weight and it's capabilities in stock form. If you do mod it like most everyone here, it would be adequate but I would suspect you'd outgrow it very fast. Also, it's not a large bike and you may look a little big on it. Just sayin.......

Old 10-24-2007, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej
LOL you under 200 lb riders are hilarious. I may sound like a broken record here but listen carefully. I weigh 260 and am 6-1 and I bet I can keep up with anyone on here, in any riding conditions, (except you slab guys on the ninjas) not only that but I have plenty of power to spare at any given moment. I can do 70 down the road, and fly up any hill or trail even from a low slow starting point. Now I realize that "power" is relative to what ever you have been accustomed to in the past. If you grew up on a two smoke then the KLX will be "underpowered" in comparison, and if the KLX is the first bike you have owned in 20 years like a lot of us on here then you will not be disappointed in the least. Do the mods, jetting, pipe and gear changes and I guarantee you'll never look back with disappointment.
Ok Deej, that is a damn proud and arrogant statement to make.......I got total respect forthe real riders on here........and I'm not one.........not good enough yet. and never will be....too old. lol

Do you think you could even keep up with me in my sand pit......?

Name:  DSC01041.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  90.7 KB

Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dang....I hate sand, I should have said in almost any condition, you got me there. But I'm not going to edit my post, I got nothing to be ashamed of. I forgot about sand...............................[&:]

Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

ORIGINAL: deej
LOL you under 200 lb riders are hilarious. I may sound like a broken record here but listen carefully. I weigh 260 and am 6-1 and I bet I can keep up with anyone on here, in any riding conditions, (except you slab guys on the ninjas) not only that but I have plenty of power to spare at any given moment. I can do 70 down the road, and fly up any hill or trail even from a low slow starting point. Now I realize that "power" is relative to what ever you have been accustomed to in the past. If you grew up on a two smoke then the KLX will be "underpowered" in comparison, and if the KLX is the first bike you have owned in 20 years like a lot of us on here then you will not be disappointed in the least. Do the mods, jetting, pipe and gear changes and I guarantee you'll never look back with disappointment.
Ok Deej, that is a damn proud and arrogant statement to make.......I got total respect forthe real riders on here........and I'm not one.........not good enough yet. and never will be....too old. lol

Do you think you could even keep up with me in my sand pit......?

I know i can keep up with youin the sandFM.... Im pretty sure that you couldnt keep up with me in my home riding areas deej... Your old you have that switch that brian mentioned in NJ, the switch that says ( im too old to do that anymore) man deej why do ya have to live across the country, id love to ride withyou. ill fly out and school you on your wifes 225

Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I shouldn't, but I'll weigh in here. I'm old, .... fat, ..... and bull headed. 5'11" 210lbs. Not the greatest rider to ever hit the ground but I can hold my own. I can't tell you how many guys have been behind me on a hare scrambles course and came up to me later and said "is that a 450?" "man, that thing flies"
In tight trails and such the big bikes are overkill. You can't use the power that they have. Now that being said, FingerMullet in his sand could probably enjoy a larger displacement, but wouldn't want the extra weight.
The answer to the question. Beginner rider, 260 lbs, yes, this bike will be great! After you gain considerable experience, it will depend on the type of riding you do wheather or not you need more bike.
Anybody disagree?????
Com'on out to IL ....... we'll ride together

Old 10-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Weighing in at 210 lbs, I have had to make all the mods to get the KLX250S near what I used to do on my YZ250 air cooled machine 20 years ago (I was 160 lbs then). I am considering a lighter, more flickable bike since I do hare scrambles and a 450 would give me some power to pass when there are breaks in the tight stuff that we race in. I was planning on a 50/50 road to street ratio but I only ride in the dirt now and need the tag only when I ride enduros.

George in Fla

Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

[sm=smiley3.gif]This weekend I'll be at starvaton ridge 24hr I have the smallest bike on the team and I'll bet one of the smallest in the field
I wonder if anyone else will have blinkers

Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5"10 and 200lbs,I have a klx 300 and it's a blast,had to do some suspension work.Now the klx rocks,awsome bike in the trails.It really rides good in the tight stuff.Igeared my bike down,so works great on the hills and 2nd gear is like a longer first gear.you should get the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: klx 250s / size rider