klx 250s first gear issues

Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Default klx 250s first gear issues

hey guys I'm tom and this is the first forum I have been a member of so I apologize for any wrongdoing upfront so I have a problem with first gear on my 2013 klx250s mileage3500 since I bought it sometimes it doesn't want to go into first and sometimes when it does go in it doesn't feel like a positive click sometimes there is no click at all but it is in gear and sometimes it goes in and pops out. Most of the time I can jump on drop it in and go but I have been stuck in traffic a few times now and stuck at red lights also. the N light will flicker and that's all that happens it feels like there is dead space under N. I can usually get it in if I double clutch or hold my foot on the shifter while I release the clutch I just bought the bike march 17 and I am getting so sick of this. and its been back at the dealers 2x and I am about to bring it in again the shift shaft the lobster claw looking thing its attached to the shift star and the pin in the middle of the lobster claw thing were all replaced last week due to a low side at 10 mph breaking a metal dowel in the shift star or so they said. any advice would be appreciated greatly the dealership I went to is notorious for being a bunch of dinks and they couldn't have made my experience of buying my lifetime dream of owning a Kawasaki on off dirtbike any less magical I don't know if the problem can be resolved or if I should try to get it labeled a lemon I hope I gave you enough quality info thanks guys for being there to help me .

Old 05-11-2017, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Tcat19861,

Pretty sure I know exactly what your problem is... I experienced it in the summer of 2015. Here is the post https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...r-shaft-43276/

The Kawasaki dealer you are less than impressed with replaced all the right parts, however, read post #11 for what caused my problem beyond replacing parts.

Ultimately, the centering pin on my bike points towards the 1'o clock position when a brand new, straight pin is installed because the engine case that it bolts to got distorted in the impact. I have ground about 1/3 of the diameter of the pin off to allow what you descriptively call the lobster claw part to have the necessary downward range of motion needed to reliably engage first gear.
Is the pin weaker because all of the material I removed - definitely. Do I use extra care and use the soft steel factory shift lever to reduce the chance of bending or breaking it - you bet. Do I want to split the case to replace the left side casing to have a flat mounting boss for that centering pin - Nooooooooooooooooooooo....

If a read through that old post doesn't help you, reply or send me a PM and I'll try to explain better what to look for.

TC

Old 05-11-2017, 07:55 PM

timc63 thank you very much for the knowledge and quick response I have been trying to sign in to the forum all day but I couldn't get in tomorrow I am going to the dealer with the bike and I am going to demand a refund or the price of the bike to be used as a down payment for a replacement I have an extended warranty and I am almost certain they are not going to want to replace half of the case to make good by me. I have people interested in buying the bike but I cannot sell it to someone with a clean because I will feel like a total scumbag. if the bike was more than 2 months old for me I would def do the pin grinding mod I am bad with confrontation and am very nervous about making my position known I know this is a motorcycle forum but could you or someone give me some advice on how to handle the dealer I paid for the bike and do not have a loan I believe I am within the law to have the bike labeled a lemon any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

all replaced last week due to a low side at 10 mph breaking a metal dowel in the shift star or so they said.

Don't get your hopes up for any sort of warranty. The shop knows that the bike was damaged by the rider.
On the positive side, I think that the mentioned bent pin is a replaceable part (as long as the case wasn't damaged) even though it doesn't show up on the parts file.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 PM

Brewster thank you for the reply the bike has been a problem since the day I bought it on march 17 the bike went down on approx apr 30. the problem shifting was not created by the low side it was however exacerbated by it. the pin has been replaced and the problem was not resolved I think timc63 is spot on with the case being bent.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

If the dealer sells a fair number of extended warranties, not ones they back, but ones that are like insurance policies, they may put it in under warranty. since they know it was a problem from pre crash. Besides it should have survived the crash without that kind of damage in my opinion - but that and a buck gets you coffee.

Don't get nuts on them be calm and collected and see if they will do the warranty for you

Old 05-12-2017, 11:58 PM

klx68 thank you for your reply you made me lol so hard when u said don't get nuts

Old 05-13-2017, 01:15 AM

ok guys I have an update about returning the bike to the dealer Sportline Power Products in Glens Falls NY. I have good news and I have bad news.....Sportline and I had a very rocky start but in the end all is well and I would recommend them to anyone.the whole ride there I was ready to stir some **** up feeling very defensive for no reason but I kept my composure and everything went smooth. sometimes my Anxiety gets the best of me and I end up making a mountain out of a mole hill to any nxiety sufferers reading this just know that 99 percent of the time a situation is not nearly as bad as it seems. anyways I was given a full cash refund with minimal resistance and I ended up buying a new bike from them because I appreciate taking the bike back so much and also I gave them all the mods I had on the bike like protaper bars and grips zeta shifter new clutch lever along with two turn signal bulbs and a 13 tooth renthal front sprocket just to help him resell it when he gets it fixed properly. the manager Justin said they sell about 300 used vehicles a year and about one a year ends up like my KLX which I told him was my worst nightmare and he said it was his as well. being the nice that Justin is he even dropped the price of my new bike from 7200 to 6850 and will deliver it for free tomorrow which brings me to the bad news......I am no longer a member of team green as I am now a proud owner of a Suzuki DR-Z 400 super moto I know I know feel free to bust my ***** lol but to save a little face with you Kawi boys I want you to know my brother bought a Vulcan 650 in Kawi green. if you fine folks will have me even though I am now a turncoat I would like to stay a member of the forum so I can help others like you graciously helped me and I vow to buy another Kawasaki when this bike is paid off I'm thinking a maybe a z125 so I can get some chicks with a sweet sport bike lol anyways thank you Timc63,Brewster,and klx678 I look forward to future communication and some ball busting so drive safe and keep the wheels pointing down unless ur doing a wheelie or a stoppie take care ....Tom

Old 05-13-2017, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad it worked out Tom.

Ya know in 2003 and 2004 Kawi sold a KLX400. It was nothing more then a green DRZ that was sold by Kawi.

You could switch your plastics and then just maybe you can stay.

Just kidding! Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your ride!