klx 250 vs kx 250f motor difference`

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Default klx 250 vs kx 250f motor difference`

So, out of curiosity I have been trying to find out what the actual mechanical differences are between the KLX 250 and the KX 250F. What makes the 250F with the same displacement and stroke so much more powerful than the KLX? Again, this is strictly out of curiosity, and I can not seem to find answers anywhere or anyone who seems to have asked this question. I have an 18 KLX 250 now, and have had a KX 250F in the past. I know the difference between the bikes, I'm more interested in the motor differences. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2020, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

What makes the 250F with the same displacement and stroke

the answer is probably 'every single part'.

deep down, every single part on a motocross bike is designed for maximum performance and acceptable lifespan. it's really easy for an engine designer to say 'make maximum power but don't last long'. shorter piston skirts and lighter pistons, different bearings and clearances to minimize friction, crazy dynamic compression, lighten up every component you can. jack up the timing. tune it lean. spark so hard that it tries to melt holes in your piston. hollow the valves out so they weigh as much as a peanut and run them so tight they barely last the race before they need adjustment. this is the stuff that wins races.

a motocross engine used to have maintenance intervals like 'replace piston ring after every race'. the four strokes are a bit better, but usually it's a full top end rebuild every race season regardless. also everything attached to the engine burns out faster from the extra power.

for bush use they last way longer, but even so, if you took that kx250 engine out for a few months of highway use, it would probably start rattling and puffing blue a lot sooner than you'd think.

i think you're wrong about the stroke being the same?

you could look both parts diagrams up and compare part numbers for fun to see if anything is the same, though

Old 03-17-2020, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

KX has a fatter piston, shorter stroke, and a much higher compression. It probably has a much different set of cams as well.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:13 PM

Great answers, and I'm sorry, when I said stroke I meant both being 4 strokes not necessarily stroke length. I appreciate the explanation, you've definitely soothed my curiosity lol.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want a KX, get a KX. ... and a mechanic, otherwise be happy.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pajokijr
Great answers, and I'm sorry, when I said stroke I meant both being 4 strokes not necessarily stroke length. I appreciate the explanation, you've definitely soothed my curiosity lol.
I think he knew that. A short stroke will rev quicker, bigger piston diameter = bigger head that can house bigger valves. Cams appropriate for the use, more radical in the KX. Probably better port shapes, possibly better finish for better flow. One is a 26 year old design in general and was an off road play bike the other is revised every year and redesigned regularly, so one is robust to last the other is whittled down to the minimum weight with performance in mind over extreme longevity. One is a racer the other is a play bike, different designs for different needs.