Kickstarter Install w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Kickstarter Install w/pics

Here's some pics and limited instructions of me installing the kickstart kit on our little klx. Please note I'm used to working on outboards and other marine stuff...... this bike stuff is a little new to me. [/align][/align]Here's the kickstart kit out of the bag, notice all the washers and shims with no bags or part #s
Name:  DSC01010.jpg
Views: 4604
Size:  74.0 KB

No problem, nothing a beer and some calipers can't resolve
Name:  DSC01011.jpg
Views: 4551
Size:  78.5 KB

Drain oil and coolant......remove water pump cover and associated impeller and the rear brake pedal with associated springs, don't forget to remove the clutch cable clip. Now remove right side cover and you should look like this.
Name:  DSC01013.jpg
Views: 4978
Size:  103.4 KB
[/align][/align]Well at this point I wanted to install a part so I put on the ratchet gear kick guide....only 32 parts to go
Name:  DSC01016.jpg
Views: 5036
Size:  89.9 KB

Unfortunately, the idle gear goes under the clutch, so the left side cover needs to be removed to hold flywheel while removing the clutch. First to go is the left side e-start gear gizmo (technical term)
Name:  DSC01017.jpg
Views: 4817
Size:  103.9 KB

Now remove the whole left side cover......notice how big and nice our stator looks at least from my marine point of view.
Name:  DSC01019.jpg
Views: 5157
Size:  108.5 KB

Now you're supposed to use Kawi special tool part no blah, blah......I used a $2.99 harbor freight pipe wrench along with my Utah skid plate to hold the fly wheel while I grabbed and removed the clutch.
Name:  DSC01024.jpg
Views: 4677
Size:  118.5 KB
[/align][/align]Clutch came off no problem, but it did take a little technique and patience... here's the removed right side clutch basket.
Name:  DSC01020.jpg
Views: 4597
Size:  69.8 KB

Here's a pic of the right side after clutch removal.
Name:  DSC01023.jpg
Views: 5481
Size:  126.1 KB

Ok, now I started to assemble the kickstarter itself.......make sure ya line up the indent on the shaft spline with the indent on the ratchet gear, hope you can see it in the pic.

Here's another view of the kickstart shaft, notice I'm getting low on parts
Name:  DSC01015.jpg
Views: 4519
Size:  70.4 KB

Now install the Idle Gear....no biggie just a circle clip and shims.
Name:  DSC01025.jpg
Views: 4816
Size:  117.2 KB

Slide in the kickstart shaft and Tension the spring 3/4 revolution counter clockwise so it locks in the engine case with tension.
Name:  DSC01026.jpg
Views: 6414
Size:  125.1 KB

Reinstall clutch
Name:  DSC01027.jpg
Views: 4906
Size:  113.1 KB
[/align][/align]Put left side cover back on
Name:  DSC01028.jpg
Views: 4670
Size:  113.0 KB

Tighten up and finish the left side
Name:  DSC01030.jpg
Views: 4620
Size:  111.5 KB

Damn, with the kickstarter shaft I couldn't get the right side cover on due to the foot peg placement...... and after all this I gotta take off the skid plate to take off the foot peg See
Name:  DSC01032.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  81.9 KB
[/align][/align]Ok, footpeg and skid plate off
Name:  DSC01033.jpg
Views: 4777
Size:  113.0 KB
[/align][/align]Hey, I think I spy a kickstarter
Name:  DSC01034.jpg
Views: 4523
Size:  98.2 KB
[/align]

Old 01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Kickstarter Install w/pics

No thanks, I'm not that good.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

All done.....post and critique away.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Very, very nice work!

One comment that will probably make you want to throw darts at my picture though.... If you put the bike in gear, deflate the rear tire, stick a short piece of 2x4 between thetireand foreward part of theswingarm then re-inflate the tire (not fully), youcankeep everything from turningwithouthaving to pull the left cover and find a strap wrench.

Your way was more proper, but I'm just saying....

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey, I'm not done posting this mod yet ......... I lost the whole post the first time trying to do it in one post so I'm going in steps......let me finish.

Edit: Ok I'm done critique and post away

Old 01-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great work, Finger Mullet, and nice photos. Now we know exactly what to expect. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:54 PM

Awesome! Lemme ship my bike to you to put mine on

I'd like the kick start for a back up... foolish that its not on there!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED!!

Nice job man!!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

BTW, when the right side cover is off like that, its always a good idea to clean the oil screen, since that's usually the only time you have access to it. Looks like it slides out just below the clutch basket in your photos.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey, I'm not done posting this mod yet ......... I lost the whole post the first time trying to do it in one post so I'm going in steps......let me finish.

Edit: Ok I'm done critique and post away
Man that was one of the best write up and picture posts to date, that being said, its not something I feel comfortable doing. Dang Kawasaki, I would have paid another $500.00 extra if they would have included it from the factory. So parts were what again? I wonder what the shop time estimate is to do this? I might have to get this done someday. And before someone flames me for not doing it myself, I have this fear about taking anything too complicated apart on a bike, 20 years ago I took a Yamaha 650 engine apart trying to find the tapping sound, and lets just say I sold it in boxes.[sm=trust_me.gif]I know my limitations.[8D] Oh yea and I don't want to do anything to mess up the 4 years I have left on the warranty. Man I can't believe its been 13 months since I brought the green machine home. I promised I wouldn't do this......[sm=boohoo.gif]OK deej pull it together.I might print out the pictures just to show the shop and see what they say. Hey maybe I could hire the mechanic on the side. I wonder what his favorite beer is?

Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Sticking a gear inbetween the primary gear & the gear on the clutch basket would accomplish the same thing as holding the flywheel, but I dont see how either would hold the clutch nut still when trying to remove it or tighten it. There must have been enough grab in the clutch to hold everything still for you.

Im thinking back to when I rebuilt my RM 125 engine & had to put that nut on/off with an air impact because I could not hold it still. Even if I locked the outer basket & fiiber plates, the inner basket & steel plates still spun when turning the nut.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Nice writeup, thanks for all the info & trailblazing. I think if you took the clutch apart then had the tool to hold the inner basket removiung the other side covers would not be necessary?

Quick Reply: Kickstarter Install w/pics