Jetting KLX250s--Straight from Kawasaki (Technician)

Old 09-05-2018, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Montanatown
It revs perfect when not in gear so I'd have to try the choke trick on the road and see if that made any difference. I have adjusted the air mixture screw and it has help the bottom end a bit but top end is taped out at 6000 in gear and stuffers from around 5500 rpm. I'd think to lean but haven't been able to confirm yet. But if I clutch and give it throttle it will run up with no hesitation or studder.
Is this in 6th gear going up a false flat? If it is and your over 200#, your getting all it's got!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Durielk, I struggle to think that's all it's got now since the first week I had it it had a lot more. I wouldn't have touched the carb if I had a choice about it because it was great as long as I didn't let it drop below 3000 rpm. The dang thing just wouldn't start or idle for anything. It Would take 5-10 min to get it to start. However It had a bunch more punch and pull on acceleration and would easily carry me out to 75 mph without any hesitation or acceleration issues. I didn't expect it to do so but it was doing it for 6 days before I got the carb kit and tore it down for the first time. It was a blast to ride. Now it's more of a loud guttless wonder that just has no pull and starts to give up at 6000 rpm. The only thing that changed from Wednesday to Friday is the carb cleaning and the jet kit. It starts first try every time now and idles perfect at 1500.

I am am planing to pull the carb again and go through it again. I am also going to put the old jets back in and see if that makes a difference.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Starts, idles near prescribed RPM (1300), and if it carbs perfectly (with no bogging) below 5k rpm (snaps to high throttle and WOT, gentle and quick roll-ons, etc etc) then your pilot system is likely functioning properly. Bogging would likely be clogged pilot transfer ports..

Sounds like the main fueling system and/or slide function may be problematic.. More than a few peeps have reinstalled the needle jet upside down - with results similar to what you are describing..

Old 09-08-2018, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
It would seem you still have a fault within the carb. Getting a "gunked out" CVK back in "like new" operation requires a good bit of knowledge of the componentry within..

E.G, - How did you manage to clean (and make like new) the pilot jet, the emulsion tube, pilot air jet, main air jet, the casting that is the emulsion tube "housing"...?
Could the needle jet be upside down..?
Did you test the slide operation, after reassembly, to verify proper operation.. ?
Air/vacuum leaks..? Bowl vent line routing,,?

My troubleshooting thread might help - https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...s-fixes-43146/

I definitely agree with you, I have the pleasure of working on Honda small engine equipment every day at work and the carbs are 90% of the issues i deal with, that's not user damage anyway. And knowing the inside of those carb passages and how to get each ones hard spots is a real learning curve. I fully admit this cvs slide carb is not my realm of expertise. Which of course is why I'm asking questions. Personally why they use this style of carb on here is a mystery to me. Well I am just more used to the butterfly carb styles than the slide.

The one one thing I really would also like to look at is to see if the slide is functioning properly. I'll check out your troubleshooting thread.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I remember one post they recommended boiling the carb on the stove, I think extremely messed up carbs deserve extreme measures. You may want to search for that post, I think he used water and boiled it for like 2-3 hours. Don't use anything that is flammible. I think the plus side was the water can get in the passages, then the boiling action clears them out.
Unless you ultrasonically clean it totally submerged for 24 hours would be a minimum time, you could use carb cleaner or flammables with that, but keep it outside away from the house.

It sounds like your carb diaphram is messed up. Don't assume it doesn't have a leak or crack, take it out and pull and tug on it in all directions for inspection. Once I had a brand new brake master cylinder rubber that had a hairline crack that was all the way across the top, it looked fine unless you pulled it apart. That was a mother, and it took an hour to remove it from the car and reinstall it (MG B) which I did about 4 times before getting 'mad' inspection.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Klxster, I'll definitely double check the needle jet. I'm certainly curious about the slide and diaphragm function as well

Old 09-08-2018, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Montanatown
Klxster, I'll definitely double check the needle jet. I'm certainly curious about the slide and diaphragm function as well

Well you are way ahead of most peeps - with your carb knowledge.. Imagine if you've never taken a carb apart - buying a cheap KLX because its' carb is ratted out - and thinking it'll be no big deal to fix.. They have no idea that they will have to gain significant knowledge about the CVK and its' internals before they have any chance of cleaning one successfully. E.G. - Leave the microscopic aeration holes clogged on the emulsion tube and it's game over until you gain the knowledge/ insight needed...

Generally, most will be taking their carb off over and over, gaining knowledge and skills each time, until finally they have "what it takes" to get the job done right..

Old 09-10-2018, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Well it look like it will be a wet week here in DFW so I might get into it later in the week.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

You're in DFW !
Check your PM..