Jets vs carb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't get sarcastic until someone has pushes the buttons to try to make a fool out of me and others like me. I will look at and edit comments... done.

All along my suggestion is to look around, see what's there. People have different needs. Some can remove equipment others find necessary, that does not make either one wrong. Not everyone can afford the equipment so take advantage of what others have done and learned, again neither one is wrong. As for information others post, if they wanted it to be secret they wouldn't put it in the threads.

If a rider cannot afford A/F meters or specific equipment they need to look at what everyone has done, then choose whichever suits their circumstances... as I have frequently written in forums. Learn before you leap, what works with one set up may not work with others and Google is your friend.

As said, and I rephrase, the there is more than one way to skin a cat, not that we skin cats here... some of us actually like cats... we use synthetic strings on our violins... uh... later.

Last edited by klx678; 07-21-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Anyone that wants to run lidless with a slip-on will not need to buy any equipment, ever - My charts and data can provide the proper fueling curve, as is for near sea level, or corrected for the bikes' home. With lids and KDX snorkels, it's as simple as a DJ kit installed as per instructions.. But, creating a proper fueling curve for a larger-than-stock exhaust system(I.E. power/mega bomb and PC4/QC4) with lid off is proving to be problematic.

Last edited by Klxster; 07-21-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I have installed the carb with the stock jetting. Initial test ride it didn't run very good. I re-adjusted the needle (the wrong way-4th notch doen) and took the airbox lid off and it ran much better but still not great, it is very loud with no lid. I then took the snorkel off and put the clip on the second notch from the top, bike runs really good big difference over the stock carb. I ordered an assortment of jets, needle and a KDX snorkel, I'll play around more when those come in.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll be installing my TM36-68 today as well.

I've taken the precaution of moving the needle to the 1st notch and dialing back the accelerator pump - I may disable it completely until I can verify proper cruise fueling.

Richard Avatar reported he was running the stock bore with a 132.5 at sea level - not sure on the other settings (needle, needle jet, etc etc).

I'm pretty sure the stock needle and needle jet will be overly rich at my elevation - based on the fact that people are using it (or even leaner needle's) on their 330+ cc big bores (with the lid on mind you). This is why I've dialed it down to the first notch for now.

Rock Hugger, Perhaps we should start another thread and work together on it?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

My experience with the TM36-68 so far, for what it is worth:

- Main Jet 127.5
- Pilot Jet 17.5
- Pilot Air Jet 0.9
- Jet Needle 9EBY01-50
- Needle Jet P-4

Kawasaki 300cc w/ Wiseco piston, stock exhaust, KDX snorkel, UNI filter.

Starts with a twist of the throttle, very slight stutter at 6,000 rpm but stalls occasionally when coming down to idle. Full throttle needed to start when hot. Will try moving needle clip down one notch, 1.0 PAJ and checking float height.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fzrcraig
My experience with the TM36-68 so far, for what it is worth:

- Main Jet 127.5
- Pilot Jet 17.5
- Pilot Air Jet 0.9
- Jet Needle 9EBY01-50
- Needle Jet P-4

Kawasaki 300cc w/ Wiseco piston, stock exhaust, KDX snorkel, UNI filter.

Starts with a twist of the throttle, very slight stutter at 6,000 rpm but stalls occasionally when coming down to idle. Full throttle needed to start when hot. Will try moving needle clip down one notch, 1.0 PAJ and checking float height.
Elevation?

stock muffler?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, yes stock 250 header and muffler. Elevation 250 ft.

Craig

Old 08-07-2015, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Just installed mine today (stock jets, needles), I'll do a separate thread but the bike is definitely rideable currently at my elevation of 1900 ASL.

Put the needle at the first notch, dialed back the pump to 1/8'th - 1/2. Pilot jet seems either too rich or too lean - not sure yet which, I can turn it out all the way until it unscrews without the idle dipping.

Throttle response around 6K rpm is extremely fun. Can't wait to get the rest dialed in.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
Just installed mine today (stock jets, needles), I'll do a separate thread but the bike is definitely rideable currently at my elevation of 1900 ASL.

Put the needle at the first notch, dialed back the pump to 1/8'th - 1/2. Pilot jet seems either too rich or too lean - not sure yet which, I can turn it out all the way until it unscrews without the idle dipping.

Throttle response around 6K rpm is extremely fun. Can't wait to get the rest dialed in.
What did you do with your air box?

I should ad that I'm about 1260' in elevation, I usually ride around home and in the mountains between 4000-7500'.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
I'll be installing my TM36-68 today as well.

I've taken the precaution of moving the needle to the 1st notch and dialing back the accelerator pump - I may disable it completely until I can verify proper cruise fueling.

Richard Avatar reported he was running the stock bore with a 132.5 at sea level - not sure on the other settings (needle, needle jet, etc etc).

I'm pretty sure the stock needle and needle jet will be overly rich at my elevation - based on the fact that people are using it (or even leaner needle's) on their 330+ cc big bores (with the lid on mind you). This is why I've dialed it down to the first notch for now.

Rock Hugger, Perhaps we should start another thread and work together on it?
I ordered the P6 needle jet, after a little more research it looks like I might have been better with the P4. Oh well I'll try it and see.

Also, I think your right, It would be nice to have a fresh clean thread without a ton of posts to weed through for those doing research. Some of the other threads are good you just have to find the good info buried in them.

Quick Reply: Jets vs carb replacement