Itching for a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:54 AM
Default RE: Itching for a new bike

Okay, now let's get something straight right now . . . . . . . . . . .

If it's got a motor and two wheels, then it's a motorcycle and it's always welcome to ride with me as long as the rider does not stop and partake of any impairment while out riding.

I'll ride with a bunch of cruisers, sportbikes, dualsports, sport-touring, adventure touring, touring or whatever genre of motorcycle y'all want to talk about.

I love motorcycles, all motorcycles.

VFRPilot, actually if it wasn't for a pathetic dealership, I would have a bike that looks really close to that sitting in my garage right now. I had a 2001 FLSTFI on order for almost 15 months. When it finally came in, they wanted to charge me almost $1500 more than we agreed upon. The reason? "There are some folks that are buying our bikes at MSRP and then turning a profit on them so we raised our prices!" I asked him doesn't it make any difference that I had to wait almost 8 months longer because they screwed up the order. I got a snooty "NO" for an answer. The dealer then asked me what I would like him to do with my bike . . . . . I told him!

Went out and bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic FI the next day. Only saved about $8000 on the bike doing that. Oh yeah, another thing I saved was the frustration that an owner of the dual cam 88 with the bearing problems goes through.

Like I said, I'll ride with any of them. I can ride slow or fast, not a problem.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i gues im the only one that doesnt like the look of bmw bikes.......
That's ok EMS, I agree it's ugly. Kinda like my date for the senior prom. My friends made fun of her, but I wanted to ride her all night long. I'm talking about the BMW, not my date, hehe.

Seriously, I don't know what attracts me to the BMW GS? But after riding it, I see why BMW owners are so loyal. It's a very well balanced bike and very smooth, especially for a thumper.

VFR, I love the Fatboy. Maybe some day I'll have room for one, it's the ultrimate cruiser.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and honesty. A few recomendations for an XR, a few for the KLR, one Harley. To be honest, the V Strom would have been the perfect fit for me. I chose the Dakar mostly becuase I think the seller had it priced too low, and I figure if I hate it I can sell it for a profit? Now that I've put a few hundred miles on her, I'm really happy with my purchase.

I had a great ride today, I rode north on I-95 for 130 miles to Fernadina Beach on the Georgia border. 130 miles isn't much on the highway, but I drove home the entire way on A1A along the coast, There is one area where A1A ends because of an inlet, so I took a ferry across and continued home on A1A. The whole ride took me about 6 hours. Here's some pics:

I stopped by the Fernadino airport, there was an L-39 practicing aerobatics. I tried to get some pics of the maneuvers, but my camera couldn't cath up.

The bathroom at the airport had this picture over the urinal, I thought I would share it with you.

Fernadino Beach, nice little beach town.

I took a ferry across the river to bypass Jacksonville. There were a few harley's riding with me.

Ponte Verda Beach

And lastley, 15 minutes from home. Matanzas inlet, there were some guys kite surfing.

Today's ride was all road, except for when I rode on the beach briefly. Marty and I are meeting up tomorrow morning and doing some, dirt roads/street. We're going to ride the old brick road. It's just as the name implies and hasn't been maintained for a few decades. It's a rough ride on the KLX, we'll see how the Dakar and Marty's V strom handle it.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I stopped by the Fernadino airport, there was an L-39 practicing aerobatics. I tried to get some pics of the maneuvers, but my camera couldn't cath up.

[/quote]

Now this is the ultimate CRUISER!!!! Wouldn't I love to have one of these in my garage??? !!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i dont know what it is, i just dont like the look of the bmw's.... i was lookin at this yamaha v-max for my street needs... not in the budget right now though...

Old 07-05-2006, 03:32 AM

Sullydirt,

Since we DIDN'T get to do "Old Brick Road" here's some pics to get some interest for the next time opportunity presents itself. It's a great ride - I think deej would even enjoy it . . . . NO MUD!

Name:  ResizeofOldBrickRoad001.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  54.3 KB
Name:  ResizeofOldBrickRoad003.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  164.9 KB
Name:  ResizeofOldBrickRoad019.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  120.2 KB
Name:  ResizeofOldBrickRoad022.jpg
Size:  124.4 KB
Name:  ResizeofOldBrickRoad032.jpg
Size:  123.6 KB
Name:  ResizeofOldBrickRoad037.jpg
Size:  155.1 KB
Name:  ResizeofOldBrickRoad041.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  OldBrickRoad.jpg
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 07-05-2006, 03:32 AM

Sorry about double post

Old 07-05-2006, 05:17 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

just letting you know u posted the same thing twice.....???[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Marty, I'll probably take the KLX on the old brick road one evening this week. I enjoyed the ride yesterday.

Marty and I met 9:00 am Monday and had a full day of street riding. I was hoping he would bring the new V Strom, but he decided to give his KLR some attention. We rode to St Augustine and then turned south and rode along the beach for 40 miles or so. We had lunch and watched the girls in bikinis walk by.

After lunch we hit "the loop" and then south to Ponce Inlet to watch the Space Shuttle launch. Sorry, we didn't take many pictures, but here's a couple.

This was our view at lunch.

Here's a picture of the shuttle launch. You can see the plume just over the bow of the boat. It looked much better in person.

In all I rode 150 miles, Marty had 40-50 miles each way to get home. So, he probably rode 250. Sorry, we didn't stop for many pics. Marty wouldn't let me stop. He said we're here to ride not take pictures you pansey. Just kidding, we were just enjoying the day and didn't stop for photo shoots. Marty is a very down to earth guy, I enjoyed talking to him and I hope that we can plan a ride again soon. We talked about riding the west coast of Florida north and possibly meeting up with Stiffler.