Itching for a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Itching for a new bike

I wasted too much time today looking on Cycle Trader and Flea Bay for another bike. I did the same thing before I bought the KLX and I have the same feeling in my gut. The worst part is, I don't even know what I want, I'm all over the place. Maybe some of you can talk some sense into me. Although, I may not listen.

Ok, I'm very happy with my KLX and have no intention of getting rid of it. It fits it's purpose, but there are days when I just want to hit the road and be gone for a long weekend or more. I want something on the other spectrum of the KLX.. I have always had a passion for 80's and early 90's sport bikes. I came across a 1990 FZR 1000, one owner 7k miles, $3500. It's purty!

This color scheme is rare, most were white w/red and blue stripes. THIS BIKE IS 16 YEARS OLD!

On the other hand, at some point I may feel dissapointed when I can't explore the paths least taken. Like Marty said, once you have a D/S all your bikes need to be different types of D/S bikes. (Not word for word, but something like that).

So, I'm thinking of other D/S bikes that I like. Remember I want a bike that can handle several days straight on the hwy. I know that someday I will own a BMW 1200 GS, but it's financially not possible right now.

I found a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar for $5500 with 3k miles and remaining warranty. I really like the bike, and I think it's priced right. My only concern is that it may not have the power and weight I will need for long trips? F650GS owners say that you can ride across country comfortably, but I find that hard to believe on a 650. On the plus side it's a worthy off road bike.

This is just a file photo, but same bike.

The only other D/S that I think would handle the long trips is the V-Strom 1000, like Marty's. I have never even sat on one and have only seen a few on the road. From what I have read about them they're owner's love em', low maintenance, bullet proof engine, and plenty of power for the hwy. I think a new one at close to $9k is out of my range, but I found a 2002 5k miles asking $6k.

I don't like the windscreen that would have to go., but it has some good farkles.

What to do? Pure street, D/S? BMW? Suzuki?

The FZR1000 makes me happy just looking at it, I could probably get it for $3k and that would allow me to pay cash. If for no other reason, I want this bike so that some squid doesn't buy it and destroy a beautiful bike which has been babied for almost two decades.

The Dakar is practically brand new and almost $3k less than a new one and is the only one of the three with a warranty. I think that I could ride it for a year or two and if I decided to sell it I could walk away without too much of a beating. Especially if they stop making the F650GS as rumor has it. It would allow me to travel highways comfortably, not as much so as the Vstrom, but it would be the most dirt worthy.

The Vstrom, is dependable, powerful and can handle some dirt. I like the fact that this paticular one already has side cases, but at 6k it's the most expensive of the three.

I want your opinions, but please don't recommend any other sport bikes. The FZR is in there only for emotional reasons. I would like to hear about other D/S options if you have any. But I've already ruled out KLR's, XR's, DR's, KTM's, and Husky's. I have considered touring bikes, like the Concourse, or SV1000 and would be interested in something along those lines as well. Remember my next bike needs to be on the other end of the spectrum from the KLX. I'm not made of money, so new bikes are out of the question.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:30 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Itching for a new bike

Of those you mentioned, the BMW would be my choice and is currently in my top 3 picks for a next bike. Regarding distance - Glen Heggstad rode one of these around the world over all kinds of terrain and conditions from the busiest city streets, to the long open stretches in Africa, to the jungles of Cambodia. The bike was not without problems over that many 10's of thousands of miles of distance and harsh terrain covered in all types of weather, but no bike would be perfect. One of the nice features Glen mentioned as making this bike stand apart from others in its class are its anti-lock brakes and attributes them to having saved his life on more than one occasion.

You've even picked out the paint job I like

BTW, I'd definitely go dual sport, but of course, that is individual taste. I'm also partial to the XR650R. I guess that shows where my bias lies. Random XR650 image below. These are sold off-road but can be easily dual-sported. I'm guessing based on your reservations about the BMW comfort for longer rides, though, that this is not something that would be near the top of your list.

ORIGINAL: sullydirt

So, I'm thinking of other D/S bikes that I like. Remember I want a bike that can handle several days straight on the hwy. I know that someday I will own a BMW 1200 GS, but it's financially not possible right now.

I found a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar for $5500 with 3k miles and remaining warranty. I really like the bike, and I think it's priced right. My only concern is that it may not have the power and weight I will need for long trips? F650GS owners say that you can ride across country comfortably, but I find that hard to believe on a 650. On the plus side it's a worthy off road bike.

This is just a file photo, but same bike.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for you input Brian, I like the color scheme on that Dakar also. It's the only Dakar I've found within 1000 miles of me and it's only 20 miles away. I wanted to go see it tonight, but he hasn't returned my calls. Maybe I'll hear from him tomorrow?

I like the XR650, but for now I want a highway bike, and maybe an XR or KLR will fit in between down the road.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't notice the first time I looked but, who the hell is that on the back of Striking Viking's bike?

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Old 06-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Glen had a very long thread over on advrider where I first saw this photo and a description. He had hundreds of photos and great commentary on lots of them and this photo was one that he talked about. Unfortunately, it seems that the links to his photos over there have vanished - I don't know what's up with that. It's been a few months since I read that thread, but I remember this photo and if I recall this lady was some village elder queen or something and he said she was quite excited to ride on the back of his bike. Some of his photos were simply amazing - it is a huge world and most of us experience only a tiny fraction of it. Some of the stories he tells from this adventure are highly contrary to what you hear on CNN and other news outlets here in the US.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

FZR = sports road bike
BMW = the most comfortable, expensive parts, perhaps hard to get parts?
KLR = perhaps the most dirt capable, simple, cheap, lots of parts, farkles, known reliability (apart from dohicky which is well known and easy to fix), HUGE following in forums

Old 06-30-2006, 05:51 PM

Sullydirt,

Let's see, I'm off this Monday and Tuesday.

Come on over and I'll let you ride a bike or 3 to make up your mind.

The KLR650 is a bike that you might really want to consider. Mine is NOT for sale, it's a keeper. The only reason I went with the V-Strom is that it is ridden daily in heavy, high speed traffic. At 75 mph the KLR650 does not have that cushion of power that you sometimes need to get out of "Harm's Way". If it weren't for that type of riding I have to do, the KLR650 would have been my daily ride. Until this job and travel requirement, the KLR650 has served me very well for going on 3 years now. It's a super bike that you can take anywhere. It's a "Double Dragon Slayer" from a recent trip to North Carolina. I rode it over "The Dirt Dragon" to the to "Tail of the Dragon" where I was tearing up Deal's Gap. Harleys were everywhere. It was fun strafing them. A few squids on sportbikes were also fun to go on the inside of. The look on their face when you "thump" on by is quite enjoyable! It will handle very agressive riding and about the only shortcoming on the bike is "The Doohickey". I have the tools and have already changed about 30 of them out for folks in the southeast. There are many available. Parts? After 20 some years of production, there is a wealth of aftermarket support out there.

Name:  pegtest.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.4 KB

Another bike that I might consider - if you're into the older style bikes is a BMW Airhead. An R100GSPD would be something that would really fit. They are easily owner-maintained, unlike the newer "techo-wizardry filled" offerings from BMW. Cool looking bikes too!

I'm not going to even mention the V-Strom - I think you know how I feel about that bike! There are a lot of folks with the Wee-Strom that make them into real off-road capable bikes. I don't have any firsthand experience, but hope to soon on the V-Strom. I'll let you know. There is a bloke in Australia that has a V-Strom that rides it like a dirt bike. His skills are obviously quite better than mine. I will have to give this a try one day.

There many other great bikes out there for a reasonable cost. The ZRX1200 is one of them. Excellent examples of an 80's style superbike, but with modern brakes, engine and handling, can be had for under $4000.

So many bikes, so little time!

Old 06-30-2006, 06:13 PM

How bout one of these?

And here is a link to a test between the BMW and Triumph

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...e-tourers.html

Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Sullydirt,

Something else to think about . . . . .

Deland Motorsports Super Deal ! ! ! !

Old 06-30-2006, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Another bike that I might consider - if you're into the older style bikes is a BMW Airhead. An R100GSPD would be something that would really fit. They are easily owner-maintained, unlike the newer "techo-wizardry filled" offerings from BMW. Cool looking bikes too!

It's funny you mention the R100GS, Maplebar over on ADV is selling his 1991 for $3k. He is currently riding from San Fran to NY. He's looking to sell it to someone on the East Coast and fly home. The bike has 78k miles and it has ben owned by a few of the ADV guys and well maintained.

Mav and Marty, I knew I would get some peer pressure on the KLR, I would like to get one at some point. Right now I would prefer something a little more comfortable for highway riding, ie: better wind protection and geared more for road than dirt. That's why the V-strom seems like a logical choice.

The guy with the Dakar called me this morning, I'm going to see it this evening. Along the way, I think I'll stop at the Suzuki dealer and take a look at a V-strom.

Thanks for the offer Marty, I would like to get together with you sometime. I'm supposed to work, Monday and Tuesday but that may change. If you ever want to come out this way, I can show you the loop. It's really a beautiful ride through the Tomoka River Preserve, and then cruise up A1A along the ocean up to ST John's county.

Quick Reply: Itching for a new bike