Introduction and a few questions inside about a new KLX250S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by wildcard
In what ways does the honda perform better than the kawi ?

I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension was better from the factory as kawi did cheap out pretty bad on the valving of the KLX.

Engine output will likely be about the same stock, as i think the honda uses the same motor as the CBR250 so probably about 20-22hp.

Again, not trashing on the honda, but just not seeing what all the excitement is about on that bike.
I'm with you, spec for spec the Honda seems only equal, or worse since its heavier. On the thread on this forum it links to another thread with a shoot out between the two and a guy comparing his KLX with restriction removed vs the stock Honda, and he said the Honda had more power over the entire powerband. I know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, but people also seem to believe better power can be gained with the usual supporting mods because of the fuel injection. I still really want the KLX but reading those threads did get me wondering. I don't know what to do! Ugggg.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
I'm with you, spec for spec the Honda seems only equal, or worse since its heavier. On the thread on this forum it links to another thread with a shoot out between the two and a guy comparing his KLX with restriction removed vs the stock Honda, and he said the Honda had more power over the entire powerband. I know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, but people also seem to believe better power can be gained with the usual supporting mods because of the fuel injection. I still really want the KLX but reading those threads did get me wondering. I don't know what to do! Ugggg.
Problem with FI is that most bikes use a simple speed-density fuel injection system. These use pre-programmed tables to calculate how much fuel needs to be added based on the temperature of the air moving through the intake tract. If these tables are not modified or additional fuel programmed ($300+ power commander or the like) you will run lean if you start getting additional air introduced into the engine.

So basically you need to add the cost of a fuel management system on top of any mods that may induce a lean condition, ie exhaust, intake, etc.

FI tuning is expensive

Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

The excitement about the honda is it's something new, it was a step up from the 230L, and it looks good, they also brought it in with a competitive price.

Stock vs stock off the showroom floor I'd bet the honda would impress on a (street) test ride over the carbed klx. I'm no FI fan in the dirt but the run qulaity of pushing thr button and starting right up and idleing nice, clicking it into gear and taking off without a stumble is a selling point impression. If kawi gave use the euro FI bikes it'd be more equal on the showroom floor... but I'm ok with the carb.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a cycle pro 331, basically the same as the Kustom Kraft but uses a rebored rather than brand new cylinder.
How much was the big bore kit?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX300 header is the same diameter as the new model KLX's but is acutally LONGER than the new 250's. doubtful you would see performance gains other than just a better muffler if you went with a stock 300 exhaust IMO.
Without breaking out the calipers I can confirm that the stock muffler is severely restricted at the inlet and discharge. The I.D. of the klx300 muffler's inlet is 'considerably' larger than the stock muffler as is it's discharge. The older muff is breathes much better too. (Keep in mind I have a Calif. bike).

I spent some time smoothing and polishing the inlet of the header pipe - as far back as I could go.

Introduction and a few questions inside about a new KLX250S.-kaw1.jpg

Introduction and a few questions inside about a new KLX250S.-kaw2.jpg

Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a couple big bore kits available. Not sure on the cycle pro.
Home Page
Kawasaki KLX250S Big Bore Kit

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Websurfing101
How much was the big bore kit?
$499 + $150 core charge if you don't have a cylinder to send in for exchange.

Not 100% sure on the core charge though as i had an extra cylinder that i sent in with payment.

You can email or call John for the most current pricing-

cycleproracing@yahoo.com
908-850-1955

Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses

I read the thread on here about the 2013 Honda CRF250L that linked to other threads about it comparing the KLX and the CRF. Now I'm confused! It seems as if the CRF weighs more, but performs better, has newer technology and costs less. UGGGGGG, what to do! I already had all the performance mods on my watch list on ebay for the KLX!!
As it was mentioned, don't always believe what is written on internet. For starters, we don't know how experienced was the guy riding Honda and throwing a blanket statement in that Honda has more power over entire band, suspension felt surprisingly compliant, handles better, after couple of hours riding some MX track somewhere. Was that guy 200lb 6'2" or 140lb 5'8"?

If someone would have an eye set on WR250R and read my post I've made here or on ADV that I test rode one but I didn't like how this bike must be revved to get going in the more technical stuff and that I preferred KLX's more torque and crawling ability. If that someone all of a sudden decide to buy KLX instead of WRR, well good luck.

Not enough people rode these new Hondas so we can reach some sort of consensus where this bike stands, its weak and strong points. Nothing against Honda personally (my both cages are Honda), but I dislike the blanket statements based on couple of unqualified amateur reviews.

Lets just wait for more riders sharing their experiences, let's see some decent ride reports.

There's lots to like about the new Honda and no doubt due to very sharp pricing these bikes will be sold like hot cakes.

And as a side-liner, according to July issue of Motorcycle Trader magazine the best selling bike in Australia is Honda CBR250 (street bikes) and very surprisingly KLX250S is No.10 (only one 250cc bike) in the Enduro category - competing against all big 450, 500 Yamaha's, Honda's, KTM's, Bergs and Huskies. See, us Aussies vote for little KLX with our wallets.

The No.1 selling bike in Enduro is Suzuki DRZ-400E. Imagine what would happen if Suzuki put 6 speed tranny, new forks and EFI on DRZ.

Cheers.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sharan
The No.1 selling bike in Enduro is Suzuki DRZ-400E. Imagine what would happen if Suzuki put 6 speed tranny, new forks and EFI on DRZ.

Cheers.
If they would do a DRZ-400E Supermoto with the inverted forks, 6 speed and 17" rims i would be all over one. Skip the EFI though

Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I personally prefer carby to EFI. It was also one of the few reasons that I shied away from getting Yammy WRR. Adding $350 for Power Commander didn't feel right considering the asking price (double the price I got 2000km 2010 KLX for)

But a lot of folks consider carby an old technology and will not buy bike without EFI. Times are a changin' I guess.

Quick Reply: Introduction and a few questions inside about a new KLX250S.