Introduction and a few questions inside about a new KLX250S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 AM
Default Introduction and a few questions inside about a new KLX250S.

Hello all. I'm really contemplating picking up a 2012/13 KLX250S in the next week or so. I've had many dirt bikes over the years including a KTM 250EXC and my current bike is a Honda CRF230F. I've really been itching to get a multipurpose bike as I see many trails off the side of the road, but don't want to risk driving my Honda there. That being said, how does this list of mods sound? I've tried to read on the forum and from what I gather this is what I need to do to open up the KLX a little.
1. Take air box snorkel out?
2. Dyno Jet Stage 2 needle kit.
3. Full FMF exhaust including powebomb header.
4. 13 tooth front sprocket.
5. Bark Busters.

How does that sound for my first batch of mods? I would buy all the parts immediately and just be done with it. What's crazy is I have LITERALLY the exact same mods to my CRF that are listed above and it really woke the bike up from a slug to being actually peppy. I would say almost a night and day difference. Can I expect the same from the KLX? Should I expect more power out of the KLX than my CRF? Thanks guys or gals, and any advice or information would be great!!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

i'd say ride it and get broken in before moding, if you are coming off a 230l even a modded on its going to be a better bike all around if you want a bit crisper throttle response the megabomb is a better head pipe of the fmf ones i'd say get bars while you are at it the oe bars have one or 2 spills in them not much more, a skid plate is a must for day one wouldn't ride without one 13t was too slow for me but i ride fast paced desert mostly great for trails i'd go with an aftermarket airfilter and a kdx snorkel all i have found by pulling it is more noise but thats good for 2-5hp on the butt dyno lol, but at least a stage 1 from out of the box stock for starting

Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got those mods and it did wake he bike up, it will be very close to the honda in oerformance but street legal.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
i'd say ride it and get broken in before moding, if you are coming off a 230l even a modded on its going to be a better bike all around if you want a bit crisper throttle response the megabomb is a better head pipe of the fmf ones i'd say get bars while you are at it the oe bars have one or 2 spills in them not much more, a skid plate is a must for day one wouldn't ride without one 13t was too slow for me but i ride fast paced desert mostly great for trails i'd go with an aftermarket airfilter and a kdx snorkel all i have found by pulling it is more noise but thats good for 2-5hp on the butt dyno lol, but at least a stage 1 from out of the box stock for starting
So the best Airbox mod is a KDX snorkel? Where can I guy one? Also, do you have a link to the Megabomb head pipe? Thanks.

Originally Posted by linkin5
I've got those mods and it did wake he bike up, it will be very close to the honda in oerformance but street legal.
So you think it will be close, but not faster? I figured it would be a hair faster since it's DOHC and has bigger displacement.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Lose the air box lid, jet to the max, and make the gears 13-45 plus the full exhaust system of your choice and you'll be sitting in butter.....(not literally cause that would be gross) Unless you are into that, and in that case we'll try not to judge you. LOL Welcome to the forums!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

With just the jetting, KDX snorkel, aftermarket exhaust, and 13T CS; mine yanks my arms in every gear (and quite hard in the lower gears!).

Total spent: around $350... It's a whole different bike, for sure!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by deej
Lose the air box lid, jet to the max, and make the gears 13-45 plus the full exhaust system of your choice and you'll be sitting in butter.....(not literally cause that would be gross) Unless you are into that, and in that case we'll try not to judge you. LOL Welcome to the forums!!!
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by rgoers
With just the jetting, KDX snorkel, aftermarket exhaust, and 13T CS; mine yanks my arms in every gear (and quite hard in the lower gears!).

Total spent: around $350... It's a whole different bike, for sure!!!
Oh yeah? That's what I like to hear. Noticeably quicker than stock? Is there a link on this forum to the KDX snorkel mod? I might be buying the bike asap so I want to do some research and already have some parts on the way. Thanks! Also, any pictures or vids of your bike?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
So the best Airbox mod is a KDX snorkel? Where can I guy one? Also, do you have a link to the Megabomb head pipe? Thanks.

So you think it will be close, but not faster? I figured it would be a hair faster since it's DOHC and has bigger displacement.

I have both the CRF 230F and the KLX 250s. The Kawi will start to pull on the Honda after about 30 mph. However, that was when my Honda had mods and the Kawi was stock. The Honda feels like it has more low end grunt, but the Kawi starts to pick up in the mid range. I am sure since I modded the KLX 250s, it will be even quicker now.....

Last edited by Websurfing101; 07-31-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd skip the power bomb if you do a pipe.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Websurfing101
I have both the CRF 230F and the KLX 250s. The Kawi will start to pull on the Honda after about 30 mph. However, that was when my Honda had mods and the Kawi was stock. The Honda feels like it has more low end grunt, but the Kawi starts to pick up in the mid range. I am sure since I modded the KLX 250s, it will be even quicker now.....
Oh wow, ok. That's good to know.

Originally Posted by RimBender
I'd skip the power bomb if you do a pipe.
Why is that?

Quick Reply: Introduction and a few questions inside about a new KLX250S.