Intake Cam - I'm Lucky...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Take another picture with the camera 90 degrees to the head and a little above so we can see the cam lobes. A bit better lighting on the cam gears would help us help you as well.
Your "problem" doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boglor

I am not sure what that would make my valve timing, but I'm sure it was nothing short of retarded.
Well something here certainly is... HEYOOOOOO!

I keed I keed

Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm telling you it's all about Quantum Mechanics.. By removing the cam cover and making an observation, you changed the "reality" of the items observed. Best to replace the cover, enjoy your 351 sweetness, and dream of things topsy turvy.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I'm telling you it's all about Quantum Mechanics...
Damn it, my cover is gone. But I've just flipped a coin and he should be good to go now.

This is something I know (actually I know QM better than motorcycles) that under Quantum Mechanics laws, action at a distance possible, without any intervening medium.

Of course, the OP has a better chance of returning the cams to the correct orientation if he rotates the crank shaft a full turn, as others have pointed out..

Old 02-22-2014, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I was looking at the images from the Marecelino cam mod and the fact is with minor differences due to the altering cam timing, the image posted here is virtually identical to the one in his but rotated past TDC. It is hard to see the slot in the exhaust, but it is rotated an equal amount. In the photo, it appears the OP isn't going to TDC by the crank, but rather has the cam slot at 12 o'clock position.

Here's the one from Marcelinos post:

Here is the one from above

[URL=http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/Boglor/media/20140219_102348.jpg.html]

Besides with a bit of mechanical thought process one can realize it is impossible to have a motorcycle run with the intake cam running 180 degrees out of position, it would be opening 90 degrees earlier (2:1 reduction from crank) pretty much coinciding with the exhaust cam during the exhaust stroke and not open during the intake stroke.

Last edited by klx678; 02-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

maybe he did the cam mod and forgot about it ? or someone snuck into his garage and did the mod for him without his knowledge ?

spooky

Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
maybe he did the cam mod and forgot about it ? or someone snuck into his garage and did the mod for him without his knowledge ?

spooky
That's what I thought at first...but his exhaust/intake cam is bolted into the factory position.
He's gotta have the engine at BDC or at least not at TDC.
No way it'd run that far out.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

maybe its really..... A WR250R !!!!

GASP !!!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Good Morning,
I have already replaced the Cams and corrected the timing or I would take a picture of the lobes.

I rode to work today, -18 degree F, the bike functioned as designed. I'll just call this issues dead.

I do appreciate the responses from every one. I have come to the conclusion, after much deliberation, that my bike was running on MAGIC. Its the only logical explanation.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boglor
I do appreciate the responses from every one. I have come to the conclusion, after much deliberation, that my bike was running on MAGIC. Its the only logical explanation.
LOL all's well that ends well.

Quick Reply: Intake Cam - I'm Lucky...