IMS tank project

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Default RE: Complete install pics!

Well I have to say Todd your the man! I'm ordering a petcock for mine tomarrow and I'll probobly get to it before the month is threw. Have you weighed the stock tank yet? How is the choke clearance? I never had the patience to get mine fully seated. I have the black tank so I hope it will blend slightly better, if not I like your Idea of getting the 96 KLX 250 shrouds. Well keep on filling us in on your progress. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem on the choke. It's just as hard to reach as it was stock [8D] but the tank doesn't interfere.

Over the long haul, I intend to aquire black plastic for the entire bike including the older style KLX250 shrouds which will fill in that little dent.

That dent aside (and the slightly too large gap between the side panels and the seat), I think it looks OK.

RETRACTED - NOT NECESSARY: I got to thinking last night that I'm going to go ahead and drill out the two tank side mounts on the frame so they line up with the mounting holes on the tank. That way I can use those bolts to secure the tank too. I don't want to have the only tie down point be the back of the tank and the shrouds as that may not be strong enough with a full tank and a large jump. The side mount holes on the tank are about 1/4" too far to the rear for the holes in the frame. There's enough material in the frame tabs to bore them out but that will really mean there is no going back to stock (not that I care). - RETRACTED - NOT NECESSARY

Actually, it turns out that if you just pull the metal sleeve out of the rubber gromets, the bolts fit. The gromet will wear faster but they're easy to service.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, when I get time, I'll post the complete list of steps required to mount this tank. I ended up doing things that turned out to not be necessary so the complete list is actually not going to be too bad.

I'd estimate that it would take about 4 hours of labor if you knew in advance what to do.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Very nice Todd, you are the man!! We will have to compare bikes in a few years to see the stock (mine) and the modded (yours) to see and report on the differences. I actually plan on getting the 45 tooth back sprocket, and then that's probably it. One mod that I am really glad I did was the fender extensions. They are awesome, the upper one keeps the rain and (if when I do get to the dirt) off the head light and me, and the lower one really helps to keep the mud off the motor. I still have the templates in the shop in case I have to replace them someday.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...chmentid=11044

deej

Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

One mod that I am really glad I did was the fender extensions. They are awesome, the upper one keeps the rain and (if when I do get to the dirt) off the head light and me, and the lower one really helps to keep the mud off the motor.
I've been in some pretty soupy mud and found that it's not the front that needs them so much, but the back. Of course, having the license plate get covered with mud has probably saved me at least once from a red-light photo enforced intersection. Not that I run red lights - the clown in front of me just plain stopped and there was no where for me to go and I was simply stuck there hanging out after it turned red. Those look great though, just need one for the back fender also.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Mud? I'm not riding in mud, my bike will get dirty, LOL. Man with the license holder hanging so far down already, what would a mudflap look like, no thanks.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Mud? I'm not riding in mud, my bike will get dirty, LOL. Man with the license holder hanging so far down already, what would a mudflap look like, no thanks.
I reckon it would look about like the front ones :-P

Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I reckon it would look about like the front ones :-P

I disagree. The front ones I installed look stock and resemble the ones that used to be on some of the enduro bikes of the 70's, but come on, something hanging down past the already too low plate holder? Tell you what you install one and post a pic, then we'll see.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I disagree. The front ones I installed look stock and resemble the ones that used to be on some of the enduro bikes of the 70's, but come on, something hanging down past the already too low plate holder? Tell you what you install one and post a pic, then we'll see.
I think you confuse me with someone who's afraid to get dirty on a dirt bike. My only point was that I've never had mud issues on the front, it's the back that throws up the mud. Headlight = no mud, license plate = completely covered. So if you don't like getting muddy, that'd be the place to focus with a guard, IMHO. I personally have no intention of changing it, the mud's just part of the ride to me. To each his own.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 PM

think you confuse me with someone who's afraid to get dirty on a dirt bike. My only point was that I've never had mud issues on the front, it's the back that throws up the mud. Headlight = no mud, license plate = completely covered. So if you don't like getting muddy, that'd be the place to focus with a guard, IMHO. I personally have no intention of changing it, the mud's just part of the ride to me. To each his own.
What the bike has a license plate?? You mean that big blob of perfectly squared shape mud on the back of the bike, I wondered how it formed like that so perfect If I even think of mud, then the license plate gets covered in mud, lol, that thing is a mud magnet.

Quick Reply: IMS tank project