IMS tank project

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Finally, some pics and progress!

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

OK, here are the long awaited pictures and an update on the IMS 3.2 gal tank install ...
Excellent photos, bmwhd! Thanks a ton. I'll know just what to expect when I try this myself, probably in a few months. Can you post a URL or other source for where you got the rubber tie down?

Old 03-05-2006, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member

It's just a lot of trial and error. Lots of little details I left out like having to loosen the battery box, remove and re-position the rad crossover hose clamps, remove all three rad. retaining bolts on the left (so the rad swings free enough to slide the wires over the top of the hose), etc. but they're obvious as you're doing it. I just keep telling myself it's going to be worth it to have that extra 1.3 gallons of gas

My biggest concern now is getting the shrouds to fit without making them look bad. I think that it can be done so they'll look correct but that remains to be seen.

I'm also going to have to fab up something to hold the front of the seat down. The tank has a screw hole in about the right place so that shouldn't be too tough.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Great Job! Thanks for the pic's...Cant wait to see the pic's when you are all done..

Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I ordered the rubber tie down from my Kawasaki dealer. I just had him pull up the parts list for a '05 KLX300R. I may not even need it. The shrouds and seat hold the tank firmly in place (but it is empty). I'll put the strap on if I can make it fit (it should, the hook is on the frame).

I got the right side shroud and the seat on tonight. The tank is in place and lined up with the shroud holes almost perfectly. The seat is off by about 1/4" inch to the rear but fits. I'll work more on that tomorrow. I have to trim the left shroud and fit a petcock and it will be all done.

The shrouds turned out to be farther off then I'd hoped. I had to remove a lot of material from the top edge and there's no good way to make them follow the indention on the tank. It doesn't look bad, just not as good as it could. '94-'96 KLX250 shrouds are now on my hunting list for eBay [8D]

Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, I forgot one other minor mod that I had to do. I made 1" long, 3/8" wide spacers out of 2mm thick strap steel to move the coil up 1/2". This allows it to sit perfectly in the indention made for it in the front of the tank. I bolted the spacers to the holes where the coil used to set and bolted the coil and ground wires to the spacer. I made the spacers out of thin material so I could bend it slightly after installation to nestle the coil back into the space between the radiators (but not touching anything).

Old 03-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Wow.. good pics, and a lot of work so far. I am kinda curious of the outcome. Lookin' good..

Old 03-06-2006, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info and pics. About the petcocks, could you describe what the difference between the two tanks is or take a picture of where the petcock goes on the new tank? Did the IMS tank come with a gas cap? Again, thanks for taking the time to document this.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dazjr

Thanks for the info and pics. About the petcocks, could you describe what the difference between the two tanks is or take a picture of where the petcock goes on the new tank? Did the IMS tank come with a gas cap? Again, thanks for taking the time to document this.
I'll post more pics tonight (should be done except for petcock which is on order).

The '06 KLX250S uses a remote petcock. i.e. the body of the petcock is mounted to the frame and the bits that go up into the tank (primary and reserve feed tubes) are mounted on threaded posts that screw into the bottom of the tank.

The IMS (and Acerbis) aftermarket tanks want the standard KLX300 style petcock which is more traditional. The petcock body and fuel tubes are one piece. See below:

Old 03-07-2006, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Complete install pics!

Well, almost I'm waiting on the petcock to arrive but other than that, its done!!!

Sorry for the poor quality pics, it was dark out.

Note that I used one of the leftover short shroud bolts to hold the front of the seat down. Works perfectly. I ended up with several extra bolts and ended up using the longer size on the top holes of the shrouds in place of the short ones due to the depth of the indention in the tank.

You end up with two long bolts (with captured washers like those used on the plastic) from the OEM tank mounts, the OEM bolt on the rear of the tank, the two little bolts that hold the OEM petcock on the frame, and a few other odds and ends.

The last picture shows where the petcock will go. It's behind the bracket for the stocker.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Complete install pics!

WOW !! That come out awesome, dude. Looks like factory fit and finish...Good job

Quick Reply: IMS tank project