IMS tank project

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default IMS tank project

Well it begins. I've finally ordered the IMS 3.2 gallon tank (in white) to be delivered shortly.

I'll be posting step by step details as I attempt to make it fit the bike with lots of pics. Please stand by...

Old 02-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Default RE: IMS tank project

Make it fit so you will be my hero.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Good luck,,,,, I know we will be waiting on the edge of our seats for the outcome...... and just remember to count to 10 when you get heated....

Old 02-24-2006, 10:45 PM

I can tell you right now that your going to have to move the air system up front, and possibly the wireing harness. The throttle cables should
be fine pushed to the right side of the tank other then that it's a tight fit but do-able, I will try again in the near future, when I have more patience.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdunne

I can tell you right now that your going to have to move the air system up front, and possibly the wireing harness. The throttle cables should
be fine pushed to the right side of the tank other then that it's a tight fit but do-able, I will try again in the near future, when I have more patience.
By air system do you mean the air valve we've been discussing off line? Mine's gone to the parts bin already as you know.

I've seen some of the Japanese KLX250s with the IMS tank have the wire harnes displaced to the side as well. I'm going to look at creating enough slack to let it remain under the tank if possible just because it looks better.

Any thoughts on the fan from looking at it while doing your other mods? I'm assuming the OEM fan has to go. I found some trick LED colored PC power supply fans that might be fun ;-)

Old 02-25-2006, 02:30 AM

Origianally I had planned on dumping the fan alltogether I havn't heard it come on once and its been high sixty's and today I was bogging threw sand still no fan. If you are able to get enough slack from the cables to run underneath the tank you'll be my new personal hero.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:35 AM

One more thing you took of the air valve, how much of the assembly did you take off and what did you replace it with. I'm confused about wich part comes of and what stays and if new pieces are needed. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd
I've finally ordered the IMS 3.2 gallon tank (in white) to be delivered shortly.
Which of the IMS tanks is the closest fit for our KLX250S? The one listed for the KLX250 (94-96) like one of these? :

http://www.imsproducts.com/klx250.cfm

??? Is that the one you got?

-Brian (new at this stuff - just trying to follow along)

Old 02-25-2006, 06:37 AM

Yes the klx 250/300R I have one and it will probobly fit w/ mods but I don't have the patience at this time (wife/kids) you know the deal.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Duane, did you get my email detailing the air valve removal? It's real simple, just plug the hole in the airbox, the vacuum port on the carb, and the intagke to the reed valve on the front left side of the head. I plugged the first two with rubber caps from Lowes. The reed valve intake I plugged but cutting the intake hose down to 1" in length and leaving it on the reed valve intake. I then plugged the hose with a plastic plug and high temp ATV. I was afraid just putting a rubber plug on the reed valve intake would not work due to the high temps. Chunk the air valve and all the hoses in the trash.

Quick Reply: IMS tank project