I'm really struggling with........

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Default I'm really struggling with........

what to buy - the KLX250S or the new FI Yamaha WR250R. I am new to this site and haven't ridden bikes in over 35 years (yep I'm and oldster and I guess a newb as well). At my age (62) I am far to old to even think about doing anything on a bike that is aggressive or dangerous. I just want a reliable bike to use off-road 90% of the time to just have fun and do someslow and easy exploring. I also weigh 225 lbs and havea 30" inseam . I have fallen in love with the KLX250S, but have some major concerns about the power available ( in stock form) to haul my fat a$$ around.This amazing site detailshow to increase the HP of the KLX250S to around 22-24 with fairly straight forward mods for a cost of about $1000, and to 26-28 HP for around $500 - $600more. Theproblem I have with this approach is that I am a very non-mechanical person and wouldhave to pay someone to do the mods for mewhich I assume will add significantly to the above cost estimates.

This leads me to the new Yamaha WR250R which I understand has around 30 HP at the crank which should yield around 24-26 HP at the rear wheel. Both bikes weigh approximately the same with the cost of the WR250R being $1000 more than the KLX250S. So, by buying the WR250R I end up with basically the same HP at the same cost and I don't have to do any mods. Considering I don't have to pay someone to install any mods the WR250 may actually end up costing me less than the KLZ250.

Based on the way I intend to use the bike (and my weight - BTW I do realize I will likely have to install stiffer springs front and rear in either bike) is the KLX250S - in stock form - adequate for my intended purpose, or would you recommend going with the fuel injected WR250R??

I would appreciate you more experienced riders sharing your advise and opinions on my thinking process - - keeping in mind my age and lack of technical expertise - and even recommend a different bike if you think it would better fill my needs better.

TIA and keep this great site going. I can't wait to read it every day.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm really struggling with........

The unmodded KLX hauls me (165 lbs) around just fine, even feels peppy when you get up into the powerband. I would guess that none of us have yet ridden the WR250R, so it would be tough to make a fair comparison, but you can be sure we'll get into our usual highly opinionated and biased back and forth about the merits and disadvantages of each bike.

BTW, have you looked at the DRZ400S? I've never ridden one, but it was on my list when I was shopping around. I went with the KLX for several reasons: cheaper, felt the 250 would have enough power, weighs less, has 6 speeds, I like green.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Bob,
Welcome.
You're going to get some very one sided and closed minded advice on this forum and rightfully so, we all (well of us except IG) own a KLX and none of us have ridden the new WR yet.
You pretty much touched on your needs and the bikes basic differences and also know the style of riding that you'll be doing, no doubt that the Yami will have some more power out of the box and will require few (if any) mods just to make run properly but the KLX should suit your needs nicely and provide a plusher ride for long rides.
If you haven't ridden in 35 years it is my opinion that the stock KLX will do you just fine for a while before you need to look at much in the way of real power mods and don't worry about your 225 lubs the KLX can handle them OK although a new set of heavier front springs will help with the bikes tendency to nose-dive during braking.

I've got my dibs on the first WR that my local dealer gets in but I'm not replacing the KLX with it, I have a wife that's recently learned to ride and a couple of teenage boys so I always have a need for extra trail bikes.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Rh

i really think either bike would have enough power stock for what you want to do. I myself am a big fan of fuel injection. with that said, I have a personal policy, never, i say again, never buy the first model year of anything. a new engine design, trans, anything. from what i read the Yamaha is a new engine (1st year). If that is the case, i would go for the kaw. i think it will have plenty of power to haul you around, and spit you off if your not careful.i don't think you will have to change the suspension either.

Take the MSF course, wear your gear, be careful & Have fun

Good luck with your decision

Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I also weigh around 165 and have a 30" inseam I had to lower my KLX and when I get in a bad spot on trails its still to tall but its weigh makes it easy to handle.... My riding buddy has the Suzuki 200 it sits very low and he weighs about 250 and it pulls him around just fine and was cheaper.....All the DP bikes are to tall for short guys .....The new Yam looks great and the Super Moto model really looks great but they are about 20 pounds heavier and a lot more money. Seems as soon as I buy something they always come out with a better bike or ATV the next year LOL[] For trail riding I could of bought the Suz 200 or the Yam 225 but I ride on the street more than trails.....you really need to sit on all the bikes and see how they feel all the bikes with gearing change will pull you around just fine....I do like the 6 speed that the KLX has and its ride is very good on hardtop and dirt roads....Good Luck

Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I am not sure where you are getting those HP numbers for the WR, but if they are from the OFF ROAD version of the WR, you may want to wait and check the dual sport versions numbers as I am pretty sure Yamaha de-tuned it for street duty.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Yoman1, the wr engine is not new. It is currently being used in a Japan only application. The wr will be making more power, but I have a feeling that it will need to be wound out most of the time. You will most likely get a better deal on the klx (if you are looking at an 06-07) vs. the wr. I doubt that the Yammie dealers are going to deal on the msrp of the wr. very much. Any dealers that have a klx right now, will be willing to deal on price with the anticipation of the new 09 klx. You may be able to get a klx with a dealer installed 300 kit, jetted and springs for less than the new wr.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

i read an article on the DS wr in a bike mag. they said it does not have the power of the dirt version so dont let the "WR" designation suck you in with the promise of power. id def suggest taking both for a test ride.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

My personal experience with having many bikes over a long period of time is just this:

I am 6'-3" and weigh around 200-lbs and found the stock KLX more than adequate on the trails in stock form - of course, once I did the mods the bike was even more fun to ride. It's agility was also excellent. It is a "tall" bike and you might want to consider lowering it. I'm also part of the "over the hill gang" or is it the "March of Dimes" riding team with all the injuries I have sustained over the years?! I don't have the quick reflexes I once had. This much I can tell you - riding bikes with more horsepower is when you usually get into trouble, more hp doesn't necessarily make for a better bike even at your weight. Take into consideration exactly what you are going to use the bike for - your strengths and weaknesses at your age, along with your riding ability and I doubt you will ever "outgrow" the KLX. I think in this case less is more! Be safe, wear plenty of body armor and have fun guy!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

Yoman1, the wr engine is not new. It is currently being used in a Japan only application.
My Bad, the yamaha website left that part out.

"Fresh-sheet design 250cc liquid-cooled, DOHC engine with two titanium intake valves and two steel exhausts, forged piston and plated cylinder for outstanding durability".

"First use of fuel injection on a 250 Yamaha on/off-road bike".

I still lean to the Kaw

Quick Reply: I'm really struggling with........