I'm really struggling with........

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm really struggling with........

Hey Bob, I have something to tell you, first of all welcome to the site. Yes there will be a lot of one sided information in here, and that's because we are a loyal bunch to the KLX. Admittedly I am the biggest guy here with the KLX, I'm 6-1 and tip the scales at 260...ish. And while everyone seems to think that I need to put bigger springs in the bike, it is just fine for me, I have no complaints at all. Not really wanting to screw anything up, I had the shop add the Muzzy, jetting, removal of the air box lid and the bike really woke up and is everything I will ever need on the road, trails, or wherever. I also did thegear changes. It's been a long time in the making for me to get back into this type of riding after a 20+ year pause. In fact the last bike I had like this was my old Hodaka.Get the bike at a good price, have the dealer do some stuff for ya, and ride on man.

Oh and don't forget to take pics and share them with us. Peace.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-01-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Bob,

According to www.cycletrader.com, the dealer in Antlers, OK has a brand-new 2006 KLX250S for $3660. That's only a short 136 miles from you. If you would prefer to buy local, you might be able to use the add as a bargaining chip.

For slow, easy,off-road exploring north-central Texas, the stock KLX will be just fine. If you intend to go really slow, a simple, inexpensivegearing change will help with low speed grunt. I ride in the mountains of northern NM, and there are times that I really wish I had fuel injection. I currently have the bike in Oregon, and I find at lower altitudes I have plenty of power. The KLX is a great little trail bike for us older fellows that prefer to check out the scenery instead of seeing how fast we can get to the end of the trail.

Whatever you decide, stay safe and have fun!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:11 PM
IG

stock rwhp for the KLX is around 18'ish. The yami won't be much more. They're both going to be dogs in stock trim. They're both 250's with weak carbs, so what do you expect? The KLX is a big time dog in stock trim. I had an '06 KLX, weigh in around 150lbs. and it wouldn't get out of it's own way. An exhaust system, 13-tooth front sprocket, jetting and Uni-filter air filter later and it then would wheelie pretty easily with the help of the clutch. Nice bike but the WR is too pricey and isn't a real WR. I'm holding out for a new red '09, they made some pretty nice improvements to the '09 KLX and it will be out next month. ooh, gettin closer.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Some good info above. Welcome to KF and riding again Bob.
Sounds like you know what you want out of a ride. AlthoughFI would be nice for longer varying elevation changes I would think. (I have not tried out either rides) Trying the rides on for size will get you the basic feel for both. Like you mentioned, fine tuning is inevitable on any ride. Good luck on your decisions.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

rh, I'm 60 weigh over 250 and like the klx. I did upgrade to the 300 cyl gearing and pipe. I also went to some stiffer springs that help in the whoop sections of the trails we ride . With my weight I really needed them, and was surprised at the difference it made. With what I've done it is fun to dirt road and trail ride. In the sand it's still under powered for a guy my size.Off the show room I was disappointed but after the changes I would do it over again.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warski

According to www.cycletrader.com, the dealer in Antlers, OK has a brand-new 2006 KLX250S for $3660. That's only a short 136 miles from you. If you would prefer to buy local, you might be able to use the add as a bargaining chip.
I bought that one last summer, they just never took the ad down.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IG

... They're both 250's with weak carbs, so what do you expect? The KLX is a big time dog in stock trim...
Does this guy ever check his facts before posting?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr.../features.aspx

First use of fuel injection on a 250 Yamaha on/off-road bike. The system relies on input from a crank sensor, intake air pressure sensor and throttle position sensor feeding a compact ECU to provide optimum combustion.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

If I were doing it all over again from scratch I would probably get the WR, the 06-07 KLX, the 09 KLX, CRF230, XT250in that order.

Clearly I have not seen or rode the newbikes so I reserve the right to change my vote after doing so--this is just based on what I know about my 06 & see on paper about the others. I knownone of the abovewill hold a candle to my KLX in its current modded state so none of theabove is worth trading in on to me.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

you will never find a site that provides the amount of information that this site hasfor any bike you might buy. it won't happen period. we as a group can get you thru ANY issue you might run into. for the most part we've all been there and got thru it with a little help from the brotherhood. that alone should lean you towards the KLX.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

ORIGINAL: IG

... They're both 250's with weak carbs, so what do you expect? The KLX is a big time dog in stock trim...
Does this guy ever check his facts before posting?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr.../features.aspx

First use of fuel injection on a 250 Yamaha on/off-road bike. The system relies on input from a crank sensor, intake air pressure sensor and throttle position sensor feeding a compact ECU to provide optimum combustion.
lmfao
here on the intranets we call that PWNED

Quick Reply: I'm really struggling with........