Ignition Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ignition Timing?

I installed the 300 cylinder a few days ago. When I installed the camshafts and cam chain, the result was exactly like the manual states, "The timing marks on the exhaust sprocket must be aligned with the cylinder head upper surface and pointed toward the front". However, having the timing marks aligned to the cylinder head is not exactly where they were when I took it apart. I snapped a picture (it's blurry) for reference, and originally, the cams were off by one tooth. I'm not positive on direction of rotation, but I think my cams were 'retarded' one tooth. The bike started right up, and purrs like a kitten, but I'm a little bothered by the timing. Did anyone else that's had theirs apart notice if the timing marks lined up perfectly with the cylinder head when the piston was at TDC?

Old 05-30-2007, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ignition Timing?

Yes, things were correct when I started.

What I did was follow the cam chain install procedure and put the piston at TDC before disassembly. I then took a little bit of paint and marked the chain and cam gears for orientation before I took out the cams. I also ensured that I kept the chain tight on the tight (forward) side while removing the head and cylinder (and during installation) -- I didn't want to disengage the chain off of the crank gear. I used releasable zip ties to the frame. Also checked valves clearances while I had the valve cover off.

Upon putting things back together everything lined up just right again.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ignition Timing?

Thanks Dan. I must not have had it exactly at TDC when I took it apart, or maybe I wasn't turning the crank counterclockwise like the book says to. I had the white paint out to mark the chain and sprockets, but got sidetracked and before I knew what happened, I had it apart without marking anything. I used a shoestring tied off to the handlebars to keep the chain tight. I used the procedure and counted the link pins when I got it back together. I rotated it by hand a couple of times to make sure the valves cleared, and every time the magneto timing mark came around, the cam sprocket timing marks lined up perfectly. I feel better knowing that everything is lined up like it is supposed to be, thanks again for responding. I'll get busy breaking in the new rings.