I need some help from the Muzzy owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I need some help from the Muzzy owners

I was wondering if someone could measure the outside diameter of the muffler and the overall length of the can(I only need the measurement of the brushed part between the end caps).

I have the older round style Muzzy, I think that the newer ones might be oval.

I got a repack kit direct from Muzzy and the insert core is 7/8" longer than the old one. There kind of giving me the run around now, so I was wondering what everyone else's muffler measured. Thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$

I got a repack kit direct from Muzzy and the insert core is 7/8" longer than the old one.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I would just cut it down to the right size. Beats dealing with their nonsense.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Funny you guys say that. That was the first comment I got from the guy on the phone at Muzzy.

I can't cut it down. There is a perforated tube that has a solid end on both sides. I would need to cut on of the ends because the perforated tube is flared out slightly to accept them. The soild ends, one slips over the pipe on the inlet side and the end cap slips in on the outlet side. If I cut 7/8" off either one, the other pieces they mate with won't go in far enough, so it still won't fit.

I though it was big gun that had the bad customer service. We'll wait and see what kind of inteligent answer they have tommorow after they talk to the production manager.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Funny you guys say that. That was the first comment I got from the guy on the phone at Muzzy.

I can't cut it down. There is a perforated tube that has a solid end on both sides. I would need to cut on of the ends because the perforated tube is flared out slightly to accept them. The soild ends, one slips over the pipe on the inlet side and the end cap slips in on the outlet side. If I cut 7/8" off either one, the other pieces they mate with won't go in far enough, so it still won't fit.

I though it was big gun that had the bad customer service. We'll wait and see what kind of inteligent answer they have tommorow after they talk to the production manager.
Ah, well then cutting it is definitely out of the question. Good luck! I'm pretty sure they'll do you right in the end.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Can't you just use the old core and rewrap with eglass?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

personally when i repacked my BG i just purchased wrap from a 3rd party vendor.. id assume cost of a complete rewrap from muzzy is substantially more than just purchasing the material and wrapping yourself. took me 10 minutes.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I think that the core was $25 from Muzzy. It comes complete with the perforated tube already wrapped with the new packing, it then has plastic wrapped and taped around it. Just drop it in and as soon as it heats uo the plastic melts and the packing expands. The original was done the same way when I took it apart.

My old tube was kind of beat up. I had a broken exhaust mount on the frame that I didn't notice for a while. From the vibration it had cracked the plate on the inlet side of the muffler. I took the whole muffler apart and had one of the welders at work fix the pipe up. I'm just waiting for the new packing to come so I can put the muffler back together and weld the new exhaust mount I made back on to the frame.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

or better yet, owens corning works in a pinch. I'm with the others, why buy a whole new piece when packing is what you really need. That's like buying a new car when all you need is tires.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I was wondering if someone could measure the outside diameter of the muffler and the overall length of the can(I only need the measurement of the brushed part between the end caps).

I have the older round style Muzzy, I think that the newer ones might be oval.

I got a repack kit direct from Muzzy and the insert core is 7/8" longer than the old one. There kind of giving me the run around now, so I was wondering what everyone else's muffler measured. Thanks
Do you need to replace the insert core and not just the packing? if it's just the packing go ahead and clean up the insert core as best you can then deal with the nice people who took your cash in the first place, that's why I like my 2 bros no problems packing, fit great, although there were some parts missing in some later orders, heard twas a disgruntled employee.