I.M.S. Tank. CLEAR? BLACK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm always topping off the little stock tank. I know I can only go 100 miles before I hit reserve so I plan accordingly. The 3 gal IMS would let me hit 150 miles. Doesn't matter if I can see the gas or not. I'd go black.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

The black leaves the appearance of having a stock tank, the opaque (white, clear) makes it obvious that it's not stock. Might make a difference in areas where law enforcement has a burr up their butt re that sort of thing. "Well son, that tank isn't DOT, yer bike is toast"

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I asked a similar question 3 months ago

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-anyone-39191/

I decided to go with a kolpin on my nomadic rack until next year. It's 250$ less than an IMS tank. Your +- 2 gal tank + 1.5 kolpin will get you more gas than the 3.0 gal IMS.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know how you can run out of fuel using the black tank, dont you still use the stock petcock
it has a reserve for a reason

and if you use the trip meter each time you fill its an instant gauge letting you know how many miles you have left

I would do black any day over the stained yellow plastic white one

now why cant they put a clear strip along the side like on oil bottles
that would be cool

Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
I dont know how you can run out of fuel using the black tank, dont you still use the stock petcock
it has a reserve for a reason

and if you use the trip meter each time you fill its an instant gauge letting you know how many miles you have left

I would do black any day over the stained yellow plastic white one

now why cant they put a clear strip along the side like on oil bottles
that would be cool
I'm no authority on the issue, but my mileage varies from 45-70 mpg (uncorrected speedo) depending my riding style, and the reserve on the stock tank is 0.7 gallons I believe; which is less than half a tank and will not always bring me out of the northern trails. (Im sure it's more on the IMS but still...)

All good reasons I would like a clear tank (though I agree it is less attractive)

I never realized how "gas paranoid" or just plain paranoid one could get until I was 30 miles in on a Keweenaw state trail at near dusk with half a tank of fuel and sharp jagged rocks all around that looked as though anyone would slit my tire. All while trying to decide if I had gone left or right on my way in on that last split lol.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
I dont know how you can run out of fuel using the black tank
You can still get into trouble trying to get out of the bush on reserve.

I used to check my odo etc to make sure I can get back.

Now when going out for a ride just look at the tank, or in the bush wondering if I can get out, same thing, just look at the tank.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

i plan my rides accordingly...gas tank limits and gas stops, but i always carry 1 or 2 wide mouth aluminum water bottles filled with gas as a back up...

Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep. Not everyone's cup of tea, but my 30oz MSR bottles in the sweetcheeks have been comforting more than once. They'd give me 20+ additional miles before pushing. Love my black IMS also.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

i have couple msr fuel bottles, but they have a small bottle openning...not very great for filling with unleaed gasoline...wide mouth aluminum bottles seem to work better, but the problem with with a "spray" when you overfill them because they have no venting...if anyone wants msr bottles, i'll sell mine for cheap..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Just imagine having that sexy 6.1 gallon KLR650 tank on the KLX250.

Quick Reply: I.M.S. Tank. CLEAR? BLACK?