I got run off the road today

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Pocket knifes, if I recall, depend on your specific location and the specific knife, action i.e. flipper, folding, sheathed and length.

I do carry a knife on the bike myself.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Your Right, I should have said "Maybe Considered" in stead of "is"

Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
I have a Concealed Weapons Permit. Even so It is not legal for me to Brandish (Display for the purpose intimidation) a weapon. If you ever pull a gun on someone that means you intend to shoot to kill PERIOD. If I ever do it must be in a situation that I cannot possibly flee from.
Partially this. Intent to shoot to kill is different than shooting to stop the threat, which is how "deadly force" is supposed to be implimented. But semantics aside, if you pull a gun you better be intending to use it and have a good reason to back it up.

As far as fleeing it depends on your state and laws therein. Many states now have "no retreat" laws which do not require you to prove that you had no option to escape to prove a justifiable self defense shooting.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Really though, as crazy is the lady was acting, pulling out a weapon is not a good solution. It simply escalates the situation.

Like I said I would have loved to get to her keys. Then there is no more threat.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation After the fact!

I can still file a complaint which I'm considering. But I'm trying to be the better man and not fixate on it.[/QUOTE]

We can all pontificate on the virtues of various defense methods, but at this point it is after the fact.
After the fact: If you have a lic. number and description of vehicle and her, I would strongly encourage you to do the right thing before she seriously injures or kills someone else. By not reporting and no investigation by law enforcement, you actually facilitate more of the same behavior by this person.
With the damage to your bike, repair receipts etc for supplement to your story and the ability to take the officer to the scene, they will likely make contact with her. A competent L.O.E. will be able to tell if she's lying in short order, and she's probably not bright enough to tell a convincing story. Whether she is charged or not, she'll know she's been identified and will be suspect #1 in any other similar event in the area. Bad or criminal behavior is never stopped by ignoring it. Yes it takes effort but how much effort will go into the repair and replacement part$ for the damage to your bike?
Hey I am glad you're okay and what ever you end up doing I will certainly respect as only you can make the call since it happened to you.
Here's a link to a video of a rider who was very nearly run off the road and the chase that followed. redneck tried to run biker off the road. - YouTube

Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Stuff like this really pisses me off. I had a crazy woman go apesh!t on me for turning in a public driveway that she shared with a bait shop. My 3 kids were in the car and I almost lost my cool.

As soon as this crazy bitch started her ****, I woulda parked the bike, taken a picture of her plate, and called the cops. Even if it was a private road, the cop wouldn't kill ya for it, and she prolly woulda bailed as soon as you started dialing.

Glad you're okay, but wish you're bike didn't get messed up because of this wacko.

Edit: I've seen that video and it kills me. I hope that scumbag got what he deserved.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Not sure where the pocketknife issue came from, but I'm pretty sure there are few if any states that have a blanket law prohibiting pocketknives...boarding airplanes, illegal length blade, and other technicalities aside.

cmott, if your state's handgun carry regs won't permit you to display the gun in an appropriate manner to ward off an attacker without having to blast the bad guy, someone needs to revamp that law. The key phrase here being "an appropriate manner" and with appropriate conditions. Wildcard is right that the circumstances almost always consist of a situation where you "could" fire the weapon and kill the miscreant, but you don't have to shoot the bad guy. The use of deadly force and the threat of the use of deadly force are usually only warranted for the same kind of circumstances...but not necessarily always.

Still, let me back up a minute. Yes...using or displaying a firearm in a situation is always a "thin ice" issue. It should not be entered into lightly. Just look at the current Zimmerman/Travon issue in Florida. But like a friend of mine who wasn't even a cop used to say, "I'd rather be the guy getting to tell my story in court than the guy they're showing pictures of".

Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

He's in the People's Republik of Kalifornia so guns are strictly verbotten there. The only people who can get CCWs are liberal politicians who are opposed to their subjects having them.

This is the biggest downside to this bike, IMO... lack of power. My DR650 can outrun pretty much any car on the road short of a true performance car (e.g. a Corvette or better). The 351 kit would help for sure.

Can you post a description of the car, its plate # and the woman driving it? I would love to keep my eyes out for it since I will likely be riding some of the same areas as you. Heck I'm trying to find somebody to go riding with on Sunday... you up for meeting up in the mountains someplace?

I've never been a fan of striking a woman, but in a case like this, I would have made an exception.

Rob

Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry Guys. In my haste to get in a few posts at work I miss represented myself. I meant to say if you do pull the trigger it is for the sole purpose to kill. Never “assume” you are just going to wound someone. I didn’t mean if you pull out your gun you have to shoot to kill. You don’t have to shoot all. Brandishing is something like flashing your gun at someone that you are having an argument with, meaning you are provoking the situation.
It is called a Concealed WEAPONS Permit, not Concealed GUN Permit. Meaning any legal weapon you have can be hidden.

My Idaho Permit is good for Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know, cmott. I always just shoot the knife or gun out of the attacker's hand...LOL!

But seriously, you're correct. The movies and TV often create those unrealistic scenarios where that happens, and those westerns that many of us grew up in the ol' days were absolutely ridiculous. I do remember seeing a video of a nutbag trying to hold off the police while sitting in a chair out in the open while waving a pistol around. Finally a police sniper with a real sniper rifle shot the pistol out of the guy's hand during a lull in the action...but you don't see that everyday.

Quick Reply: I got run off the road today