I broke my bike!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Update on My Broken Bike with the frame

Good morning everyone,
Here is the update on my broken bike with the weld on the frame at the kickstand. Received a phone call the other day out of the blue from kawasaki Corp., and the gentleman on the other end told me the frame replacement is in California, but can not be shipped up to the dealer by UPS because of its size and weight. He advised me that it will have to be shipped out by truck. He also told me that when the frame is shipped out by truck from Corp. headquarters he would call me and let me know. He said Kawasaki was sorry for the mis-communication between the dealership and Kawasaki Corp and that this repair should have never taken this long, and they would like to make it right by possibly giving me some riding gear. He also advised me that the frame has had the VIN stamped at Corp. and that all the paper work for DMV and insurance would be handled by them. So hopefully I will be getting my bike back soon after Christmas. Still deciding what I want as far as riding gear.

The dealership also offered to weld my frame as a temp. fix, and I told them "NO", unless they were going to except the liabilty if it failed while I was riding the bike causing me to crash and burn. After that little conversation never heard about a temp. fix again, nor did they call me back for 3 weeks. I had to finally call them back and found out the old service manager was no longer with the dealership and the new service manager jumped right on the problem calling Kawasaki Corp, called me back and gave me the update along with his personal cell phone number in case I had any questions or any other problems.
Just to let the forum know, I filed a complaint with the NTHSA ( I think that is it) and also followed up with an email to kawasaki Corp about the poor customer service I thought I was receiving from both them and the dealership. This is going on 2 months and still counting till the day my bike is done and at home, where it belongs.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If you had to drive 10 hours to another shop, you would be better off. That is so not cool. I better start looking at mine now I mean after all.....I am "slightly" bigger than most and if a frame is gonna fail it will be under me. Thanks for the heads up there man.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to give an idea of how bad of a job they did on yours. This is what a standard professional's weld should look like (few of my MIG steel welds),......if not better. Welding is a serious trade. Its not like shoveling dirt where just anyone can do it. Its important, and the quality of your work ensures the safety of others.

________
Montana Dispensaries

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ah crap.

feeling a bit jibbed right now.

what can I do from here? Demand a better job from the mechanics?

I just phoned kawasaki nz, they said they'll talk to their american office, and get back to me with what they have done.

DOH! This sucks ***.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Honestly, if I were you and this happened... I would have gone to dealer and put up a big front and made a big fuss. If that didn't work I would have called KAW and did the same thing. If neither worked out I would have dropped it. Who are you compared to them? And in the end what are you fighting for? A 1 inch weld? And you can't say your teaching them a lesson, these people are a global company that market many different products. One tiny 250cc motorcycle isn't much.

I would have taken the damn thing in my shop, wire wheeled the paint off, welded it, painted it up and went on my way and forget about it. Your gonna get all all fired up and run yourself around for nothing and meanwhile your bike sits. Fix it and be done with it. If you want to pursue it later you can, maybe keep ragging your dealer for some store credit or something to make up for it.

Welcome to the world.
________
Herbal health

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

so pretty much what I've done so far?

And yes, its only one tiny 250cc bike, but it must be reported and acted upon due to

1) A possible (probable) fault across the range

2) Warranties are legal documents protecting the consumer. Me being such, Kawasaki has an obligation.

Why should I fix it when its a fault on Kawasaki's behalf? (also, some of use don't have access or know-how to weld their own bikes...)

Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

sitting on the bike w/ the stand down caused this? or just from the weight of the bike?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

3L4 - thanks for the heads up on this. As you know, the purchase date of mine was only a couple of days different from yours!
I'm gonna stop in at home today and check mine.
I have been balancing my bike on the stand when I lube the chain, not any more though!
Any more update on your 'battle' with the dealer? Stand firm, brother.
As you're in Akld, I'd be tempted to ride it to Kawasaki NZ's head office and demand to see a customer service rep.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

PS - whats your serial number?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
sitting on the bike w/ the stand down caused this? or just from the weight of the bike?
I've been brainwashed by the army to flick it up before hopping on the bike, so the damage must have been done some other way (or its just a **** weld...)

thommo:
serial number is JKALXMT149DA02504, make sure you check under the frame as well, apparently the break can start there as well...

Quick Reply: I broke my bike!