I broke my bike!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I broke my bike!

Went to the shops this morning, parked it up as usual, flicked down the side stand, rested the bike on it, and was about to walk away when I noticed the bike was moving...

Caught it just in time before it plunged towards the ground, and promptly found the frame just above where the stand is welded on had snapped and bent. I took it to the bike shop, where upon they pronounced I had clearly brought it on myself. It took them some convincing and a call to Kawasaki to make sure it went on the warrantee, I can't see how it wouldn't, as it covers the frame for any normal use, and I'm the most normal user of the KLX ever.

Anyone else had this happen? Can I stick to my guns re: warrantee?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

First I've heard of it happening. I hope they cover you completely. Do you launch off some big jumps and get some sweet air? Hopefully they will get it fixed promptly. Man, I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, yes, this IS a problem on some KLX's. . . . see page two of this forum (k9cali's post)!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ha. no. no big jumps for me... just pootling around town and on some gravel/dirt roads...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

When I put my bike on a stand I get on the left side, stand down, tilt it towards me so it pivots on the kickstand, reach over and slide the milk crate underneath, then use my right thigh to sort of lift the whole bike onto the milk crate.

I'm thinking I shouldn't be using that kickstand like that.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3L4NS1R
ha. no. no big jumps for me... just pootling around town and on some gravel/dirt roads...
You should ask the dealer what exactly you did to break the frame on the bike. Besides park it.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
You should ask the dealer what exactly you did to break the frame on the bike. Besides park it.
They claim it could've happened while I was away from the bike one time and someone hopped on to have a test of it...

Awesome. Nice. Glad to see 'normal use' might not include 'normal street use'...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
When I put my bike on a stand I get on the left side, stand down, tilt it towards me so it pivots on the kickstand, reach over and slide the milk crate underneath, then use my right thigh to sort of lift the whole bike onto the milk crate.

I'm thinking I shouldn't be using that kickstand like that.
I have used your method to pivot the entire bike around in a tight spot among the dirt and rocks. . . . . won't be doing THAT anymore!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

""I have used your method to pivot the entire bike around in a tight spot among the dirt and rocks""
Me too, works great! I better check mine out after all this crazy broken bike stuff. Do you have a pic of the broken frame 3L4? I hope they take care of it for you.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Do you have a pic of the broken frame 3L4?
Didn't get a chance, I rode it straight to the dealer and then had some angrys when it wasn't immediately put straight on the warranty. They are just going to do a temp fix today, then work out what the best course of action is.

fingers crossed they honour the warranty when I pick it up this afternoon...

Quick Reply: I broke my bike!