I am Looking for a deal on KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 AM
Default I am Looking for a deal on KLX250S

This is my first post on this or any forum, so let me introduce myself. I have been ridingATV's for the past12 years andI have had oneDP bike(DR350). The reason a have joined this fourum is to research the KLX250S, I really will be riding 95% off road (sand pits, trails, & ect) also with my son (Yamie ttr50). Iwant to jump it sling it ride Wheelies and just have a good time like i did on my old 400EX. Will some one tell me if this is the bike for me? being street legal is must for me. Note thatI recently rode a friends RM125 and loved it!, wich got my intrest back for a dirtbike.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I am Looking for a deal on KLX250S

Dirtbogger (name?)

The KLX won't have the same light, snappy feel that the RM 125 has. It will be a bit more subdued on handling with about 35 pounds or so more weight and softer suspension. It will make power at much lower RPM's, but it actually has less total HP than the RM. Packaged with the increased weight, you may find yourself disappointed with performance. The best plan would be to ride one before buying it so that you aren't surprised.

That said, several of us have modified our KLX's to wake them up. Modifications range from free mods that increase airflow in and out, to big bore conversions, pumper carbs and aftermarket exhaust systems. I ride tight single track and I like to go fast. My bike is overbored to 331cc with a pumper carb, exhaust, some head work and a cam upgrade. According to the dyno it makes slightly over 28 hp now, a nice increase over the 16.8 I saw posted on a stock bikes dyno chart. It will do the things you mentioned you want the bike to do, although if you do doubles or deep whoops, you will want to modify the suspension as well. The good thing about a KLX is that you can start with a very reasonably priced machine and improve it as you see fit. Of course you could also simply purchase a Husky or KTM, but they have their drawbacks as well, initial cost and dealer support in some areas being part of those drawbacks. They are very good DP bikes though. Most of us are happy with our bikes in whatever form we have chosen. With few exceptions, they are reliable, relatively light handling, great looking bikes and they have excellent dealer support nationwide.

Good luck in your decision. We'd love to have you on board.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
KLX "250" (331)
Dyna Sport

Old 05-31-2007, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

in stock form the klx does not have the power or suspension that you are looking for. i love mine but i have about a $1000 into it after purchase price and it still doesn't have more than about 21hp.

if you can find one that has a big bore kit in it then it might have the power that your looking for but in stock form forget it. test ride one and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 AM

Thanks, that has answered most of my questions.thats why i am hopeing to find one with the mods with the most bang without sacrificeing reliability. I liked the Husqvarna but the closist dealership is 100 miles away.I do not know ifI really need any thing with more power than the RM125 I rode, that seemed plenty! is it really that much of a diffrence Between the RM125 and KLX250 1st through 3rd gear? Also how does the KLX compair to something like an MX'r 250 4-stroke?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirtbogger

Thanks, that has answered most of my questions.thats why i am hopeing to find one with the mods with the most bang without sacrificeing reliability. I liked the Husqvarna but the closist dealership is 100 miles away.I do not know ifI really need any thing with more power than the RM125 I rode, that seemed plenty! is it really that much of a diffrence Between the RM125 and KLX250 1st through 3rd gear? Also how does the KLX compair to something like an MX'r 250 4-stroke?
I guess that I can answer this one. I have a KLX250S and a KX250F. There is absolutely no comparison in regards to power. I can't give you any dyno reports but from riding all the bikes that I do I can tell you that the only way to get the 250F power in the KLX would be to have an engine transplant. Part of it is gearing but that is only a small part. The 250F can easily take off the line in a race in third gear! My son does this frequently, as it helps keep the front wheel down and accelerates to the first turn faster without shifting. The 250F will scare you in any gear when you roll on the throttle. Its just unreal how much power there is. The power for the KLX has to be coaxed out of it, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's not fun. The other big difference when you start comparing DP bikes to MX bikes is relyability. The KLX will run forever with only a minimum of maintenence, while the KXF needs to have the top end redone after every 6 - 10 races.(thats not very many miles) The pistons in the KXF are so short that they have virtually no skirt and after a few hours start "rocking" in the cylinder, which wears the piston out. A top end rebuild is usually limited to a piston and rings and gaskets, but its still a short life.
There are a lot of guys who think that an MX bike is the way to go for power instead of a trail bike. MX bikes are designed for ONE thing......Starting-up, going fast for 20 minutes, and shutting-down. They seriously over heat on single track trails. They have no means of cooling except for going fast and forcing small amounts of air through the radiator. The cooling system is not set up for idleing or going slow. I sold my RMZ to a guy who thought it was what he wanted to ride trails with. He soon found out that it was a $3300.00 mistake. He overheated it the first time out. The power was great but there are sacrifices for it.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

I guess that I can answer this one. I have a KLX250S and a KX250F. There is absolutely no comparison in regards to power. I can't give you any dyno reports but from riding all the bikes that I do I can tell you that the only way to get the 250F power in the KLX would be to have an engine transplant. Part of it is gearing but that is only a small part. The 250F can easily take off the line in a race in third gear! My son does this frequently, as it helps keep the front wheel down and accelerates to the first turn faster without shifting. The 250F will scare you in any gear when you roll on the throttle. Its just unreal how much power there is. The power for the KLX has to be coaxed out of it, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's not fun. The other big difference when you start comparing DP bikes to MX bikes is relyability. The KLX will run forever with only a minimum of maintenence, while the KXF needs to have the top end redone after every 6 - 10 races.(thats not very many miles) The pistons in the KXF are so short that they have virtually no skirt and after a few hours start "rocking" in the cylinder, which wears the piston out. A top end rebuild is usually limited to a piston and rings and gaskets, but its still a short life.
There are a lot of guys who think that an MX bike is the way to go for power instead of a trail bike. MX bikes are designed for ONE thing......Starting-up, going fast for 20 minutes, and shutting-down. They seriously over heat on single track trails. They have no means of cooling except for going fast and forcing small amounts of air through the radiator. The cooling system is not set up for idleing or going slow. I sold my RMZ to a guy who thought it was what he wanted to ride trails with. He soon found out that it was a $3300.00 mistake. He overheated it the first time out. The power was great but there are sacrifices for it.
VFR,an excellentsummary of the difference between a hard-core MX bike and the KLX. [8D]

The moral to the story of theguyusing the RMZ for trail riding is that one must be honest about the exact use of the bikeand their ability as a rider, and choosetheir "weapon" accordingly.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, you guys are right on target. The KLX, even with reasonable upgrades like the big bore is a far cry from an all out race machine. But the trade-off is that we get many miles of smiles for our trouble. As for a good woods weapon, the KLX works very well in stock or modified form too. Flow, skill, even a bit of nerve are what gets us through the tight stuff quickly. Motocross power can't be beat on the MX track, but there's a reason trail bikes and even cross country machines are set up differently.

Bill

Old 05-31-2007, 10:42 PM

Thanks everyone, this is the best infoI havegotten on the klx.I am still undecided untillI ride one.The thing thatI liked most about the RM125 washow well it carved in the sandpit and not nesseserally the power. I understand the power of that2-stroke contributed to how well it did in the sand.By whatI have read here I think aslightly modified klx will fit the bill nicely, sinceI am not a MX'r, butI do like to ride fast andjump.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 AM

Its me again,I have studied more into other threads on this forum and read your input, and I am beginning to feel a bit weary about purchaseing KLX even though they seem to be a bargen for what you get.
I am courious about your opinions on a KTM450 or 400 Dual sport. How well do they carve in the sand and jump? Also are they maintenance intensive and do theyhave a short piston skirt?
I alsowanted to let you all know that I sat on a KLX250 at a Dealership andI really liked the ergnomics. The KLX is not ruled out because my understanding is that its a dirtbike first and a street bike second.

Quick Reply: I am Looking for a deal on KLX250S