how too...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kpwestmo
yeah i know she'll never ride like my friends yzf250, but you think with the other aforementioned mods you and deej suggested would be enough to make me smile, and do a wheelie by simply snapping the throttle without clutching it?
nope. it's the OTHER STUFF I mentioned that will help in that department. Even with a pumper and big-bore, it isn't going to just loft the front wheel at will like a MX bike; it's heavier and to be frank, the power just is still not there even with those mods. You're talking 26 horse tops with a big-bore and exhaust; MX 250's are pushing mid 30's and 70lbs. less weight. If you wanted a MX bike, you should have got one.
Try a slip-on/full system, a 13-tooth sprocket, jet/filter kit, and smog removal/free mods and you'll be amazed what 4 more horse does for this bike.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

what he said. this is a low power, heavy trail bike. it can be hopped up a bit, but personally i've stopped after over $700. Add $900 for a street wheel setup to that...it adds up and I'm not much over 20 horsepower.

If you want to get the wheel up, you're going to have to dump the clutch a bit and that's the bottom line.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Alot of people report a better feel of snappyness from the bike with the throttle cam, basically just a new twist throttle that opens up all the way with less twist of the wrist. Makes the bike feel faster, and more responsive, when it's just really the more comfort of twisting the wrist less. Can't remember what it's called, I'm sure someone will chime in with the brand name.
For front wheel lofting, I would go with a slipon. For road riding, I would go for a full exhaust.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
For front wheel lofting, I would go with a slipon. For road riding, I would go for a full exhaust.
Can you explain the reasoning behind this? I thought a full system was better all the way around.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Back pressure should help the bottom end. There was a huge bottom end difference when testing the inserts in the Big Gun. The smaller insert (read "added back pressure") improved the "wheelie factor" of the bottom end.

The gearing is very cost effective. I bought the 13T for Under $10.
As already mentioned the Exhaust and jetting are a huge plus.
Then you need to open up the intake (to get the most of the exhaust mod)

With the mods I have done I can get the front end up about 8" from a 2-3 mph roll-on crack of the throttle.

Second gear roll-on wheelies are probably a not for our heavy bikes... imo.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

good stuff already mentioned, but I can't emphasize enough the importance of a good rear tire. w/o it, it just doesn't get much traction. the bike is heavy as stated, and thus makes it harder to get traction as it just gets lost in the rear tire spinning it away. at least that has been my experience. good luck with your experiment. ;o)

Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

The slip-on's, with the stock header, give a better low end torque, where as with the larger headers of the full systems, little backpressure and not so much low end torque, but better high end HP.
As far as performance between the systems.. I don't think there is much, if any difference between say muzzy's, big gun, fmf.. It's all just personal preference, noise and looks.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
The slip-on's, with the stock header, give a better low end torque, where as with the larger headers of the full systems, little backpressure and not so much low end torque, but better high end HP.
As far as performance between the systems.. I don't think there is much, if any difference between say muzzy's, big gun, fmf.. It's all just personal preference, noise and looks.
Thanks, with so many different options available and such a wide range of prices its good to know!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I might venture to say the higher end gains are better than the lower end gains. I'd rather have a higher gain on the highway and the trails. You need to keep the RPM's up on this bike anyway. It's a 250! Wring it's neck!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I can ride wheelies all day long and I have never dumped the clutch. Its all in throttle, pull and weight distribution on the bike.

Quick Reply: how too...