how too...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how too...

alright guys im back...finally graduated from UNCC with that bachelors degree; double major in criminal justice and psychology...now it's either on to law skewl, or if the economy will allow, a job with a good starting salary (so i can finally afford to hook my bike up).

ok now on to my question...my question is really, really simple...what do i need to do to my 2007 klx 250 to make it stand up WITHOUT dumping the clutch...i just want to be able to snap the throttle in first or second gear and stand er up to ride a wheelie...i dont care about being able to stand it up through all gears or stand it up while in fourth gear or something.....i dont even want THAT much power, just more than what the klx provides stock...is it possible to make the klx250 have that instant throttle response? like i said, all i want is to be able to stand er up through the first two gears or so, AND possibly add about 10-15 more MPH to the top end....thanks guys, you all have been MORE than helpful in the past, and I really don't know what the hell I'd do without ya'll, or this awesome forum.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, you'll probably get what you want with a big bore, 331, 340, or 351 cc kits. Add a pumper carb, an aftermarket exhaust, slipon or full, change the gearing a little (I personally had it geared with a 14t cs, and 48t rear and liked that with few power mods), obviously change the jetting to suit your modifications.
That should make it come up no prob in 2nd I would imagine.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

All you have to do is throw money at it.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

sweet...so how much money would this be?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok first of all, you spelled school wrong on purpose didn't you???? If not you better head back to class. Just messing with ya man......unless that's really how you think it should be spelled... Anyway, if you change the gearing to say 13-45 or 13-47 then you will lose MPH at the top end, not gain any. But if you don't mind doing the speed limit, then I would definately at least change the front to a 13 and then see. Also Jet the bike and get rid of the stock pipe and put on a Muzzy. I wish you lived closer to me I would let you see what the KLX bike is capable of doing. I wouldn't change a thing. Mine is absolutely perfect. And since losing 40 lbs in the last couple of months it's like I just added 5 HP. Yee Haa.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

damnit so thats why no one has called me back for an interview yet...haha...but yeah deej i dont really care that much about top end, as long as i can go 55 or 60 without exceeding 6.5 grand...im not all about speed and ****, im all about offroad capabilities, however, i just want a bit more, how do i say it, pop in the throttle for lack of a better term...i want to be able to just stand it up if i felt like it in first and second gear....and i talked to my dealership and they said if i bore it out with the 331 cc kit then i lose all coverage with my warranty and pit pass...so until next year the big bore kit is outta the question...but you think if i simply re-geared it like you said, and then got a muzzy(is that better than white brothers and big gun?), and jetted it out i would be pleased for what i need it for? i friggen love everything about the klx250 and for what i was looking for there is no way id go with any other bike, but i just get a little disappointed sometimes when i snap the throttle in first and second gear and i dont get that "front end pulling up" sensation. so if i went to the dealership and told them that i wanted to do all of what you suggested, how much would that run me? i know ima pay about 300-400 for a new pipe, correct? but how much for them to re-gear and jet it?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

i just dont know that much about working on bikes, i mean i can do the basic and one step things, but when it comes to re-gearing, jetting, and messing with the engine and transmission im clueless, and id rather pay than mess my baby up...so deej, is what you suggested to me what you have done to your bike? and will your bike stand up with ease in first and second gear when u pop the throttle(WITHOUT messing with the clutch)

PS: For a graduation present, I got a 2009 tacoma, sr5, 4x4(of course), possy traction with push button limited slip differential, NO trd offroad package because i plan on building that myself rather than pay the extra 4 grand from the dealership..and the sweetest part, 6 SPEED MANUAL transmission to match the 6 speed klx....and yeah, it ****ing scats on road and beasts it up offroad...22 mpg also

Last edited by kpwestmo; 02-23-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well 2 and a half years ago when I first got the Muzzy installed and the bike jetted, the dealer gave me a great deal on the pipe. $389.00, but you can add at least 20% to that today. As far as the jetting, the jet kit is only about $60 and then its hourly to install it. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

buy the 2-bros. slip-on someone has for sale on another thread, offer him $200 and I'll be he'll take it. then, buy the dynojet jet kit for the 300R, not the 250S. after that, invest $15 in a 13-tooth front sprocket. remove the smog equipment as directed in thousands of threads here, buy a $25 Uni or Twin-air air filter, remove your airbox lid, invest in a good rear tire as the stock one just spins and uses up valuable power. after that stuff, you'll be good to go. Only way you'll get what you ultimately want however, is a pumper carb for instantaneous throttle response and some type of big-bore kit. If you want MX type response, a pumper carb is a requirement along with big bucks to buy one. good luck.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah i know she'll never ride like my friends yzf250, but you think with the other aforementioned mods you and deej suggested would be enough to make me smile, and do a wheelie by simply snapping the throttle without clutching it?

Quick Reply: how too...