How sweet does this deal sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Default How sweet does this deal sound

Hey all, first post here new to the forums
Sooooo here's the deal, I have a co-worker that bought a klx250s brand new off the lot and doesnt want it anymore. Not enough power for him! I was bs with the guy and now im going to buy it off him! on to the good part
2010 klx250s
only 498 miles
fmf pipe
re jetted
and different procket
all black
the best thing only 2500!!!

now I've never rode a kawi before or a dual sport...how is this thing on the road? my last bike was a CR250R that thing was a beast!!! i miss the 2 stroke world. Anything i should do when i pick this sweet thing up?? its already got the basics done it.

thanks Jason

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. I ride primarily street and didn't think the stock tires handled very good at all. So I put on Pirelli's which are 70 street/30 dirt and it made a huge improvement. Less vibration and excellent handing, but they're grooved well enough to ride fire roads and trails. Anything more aggressive, you'd probably find yourself slipping around.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

That is a pretty good deal, if you are unhappy with it you should be able to get your money back. A KLX and a CR are miles apart and test ride would be in order. That being said the KLX is a great bike for what it is, an entry level dual sport, few posters here have been displeased with their purchase. Oh yes, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by linkin5; 01-23-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Compared to your CR the KLX is going to feel like a dog. But if what you're looking for is a capable machine to get you to an off-road area and back again then the KLX will do just fine. I kinda missed being able to kick up a nice roost but with the 351 kit and some gearing changes it will put a grin on your face. If the test ride pans out then I would jump on that deal.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey welcome to the forum. If you want to take your KLX to the next level your in the right place. So,, you ask what now? IMHO, I'd try to find out exactly what has been done to the carb - I mean exactly. Is the bike running with the stock snorkle in the air box lid ? If not then exactly what is its' air box/snorkle configuration. Any chance the cams have been retimed ? Exactly what tooth count sprockets are on it now ? FMF pipe - does that mean just a slip on (silencer) or is it a slip on and a header pipe (mega bomb or power bomb) ? You will need to now these things so we can help you better.
If you intend to perform power mods then I would look for a dyno shop near you so you can at least get your A/F ratio correct for max power.
How is it on the road ? - Mine is great on the road,, will do 60-70 mph all day long with top speed over 85. I let off at 86 because it was starting to feel unstable. See my mods below.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Great deal! DO IT!!! Then Jet it, pipe it and have fun.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Mileage?

Originally Posted by Klxster
- Mine is great on the road,, will do 60-70 mph all day long with top speed over 85. I let off at 86 because it was starting to feel unstable. See my mods below.
I'm curious as to your gas mileage with your set-up. My recently acquired '09 with DynaJet stage 2 and the snorkle removed got 54-56 mpg on the 1st two fills. Both fills about 50% highway and 50% 15 - 40 mph on Forest Service roads. Bike has 700 miles on it and is otherwise stock.

Thanks,

Old 01-23-2014, 10:53 PM

Well guys I'm mostly looking to get this bike to cruise to work here and there and take camping (which I do very often). Mud tires and a lift are hard on the gas tank!!! The CR was an awesome bike pull the front tire up in fifth nooo problem. I've hurt myself a few times in the past couple years and my boss says iI have taken too much time from work sooo i wont be doing anything crazy anymore too many bills and a baby makes it hard to miss work. So from the little research I've done here it seems like a good bike to me. Not to much power but seems to be a solid bike.

As far as the mods to the bike I am unsure of what jetting he did, he's old and forgot as well. Did it over 3 years ago same with the pipe. when i get the bike i will post up pics and maybe you guys can clue me in on what is done.