How many horses for the KLX250s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

in the 1K-7K range, all three bikes are about the same. I don't get above 7K very often, so not sure I'd get the added value from moving to the Yamaha.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Typical - that "chart" has no merit as it has no supporting data - it has no supporting data because it is NOT and actual dyno chart.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems 18hp is the general consensus stock. I must have read threads on modified KLXs that claimed hp in the 20s.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Not sure what Kaw claimed on the 2006 and up, but I think the first ones in 1994-95 KLX250R, precursor to the KLX300R, were claimed at 28. That's a guess without looking it up.
Okay, and there are also the Aussie bikes which from what they tell us have a few more ponies.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Michaelb2
in the 1K-7K range, all three bikes are about the same. I don't get above 7K very often, so not sure I'd get the added value from moving to the Yamaha.
I think this is where you'd want to look at the torque curve too.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

18.46 hp from a '13 at rear wheel according to Motorcycle Consumer News. Around 18 seems to be the consensus unless the owner is talking to a guy on the next bar stool, in which case the number increases relative to amount of beer consumed.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Typical - that "chart" has no merit as it has no supporting data - it has no supporting data because it is NOT and actual dyno chart.
S you're saying they're lying, their graphics department didn't bother looking at what the test results were. Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Motorcycle-USA are all lying? Every hot rod magazine that has published polished graphics instead of photos of the sheet are lying?

Get over it! Geez, I don't recall anyone here questioning YOUR results. I know for sure I never have. Your dyno charts are from your bike at that location on that dyno and absolutely believable. Geez...

Last edited by klx678; 07-21-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah yeah yeah, it's a conspiracy... They're lying, their graphics department didn't bother looking at what the test results were. Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Motorcycle-USA are all lying. Every hot rod magazine that has published polished graphics instead of photos of the sheet are lying.

Get over it!

Hey, I didn't get this tin foil hat for nothing!

Old 07-21-2015, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by anciano
18.46 hp from a '13 at rear wheel according to Motorcycle Consumer News. Around 18 seems to be the consensus unless the owner is talking to a guy on the next bar stool, in which case the number increases relative to amount of beer consumed.
Or the advertising department is using those little Japanese horses again.

Funny thing about reading dyno charts...

A friend had his supposedly 118 hp (those little Japanese ones) V-Max modified with pods, Kerker comp core header (sounded like a big block Chevy), and stage 3 jetting, put on a dyno at Mid Ohio one year. He was figuring on big horses... Drum roll.... 90 hp! He was disappointed, really disappointed untl the dyno operator asked him who built the engine. He said it wasn't "built", it was a 42,000 mile engine with a header, pods, and jetting. He then asked why the question? The dyno operator said to look at the torque curve. It wasn't big horsepower, the work had boosted torque enormously over the power band. The thing nearly went straight up from 1000-2000 rpm then plateaued at near max torque to the peak at I think around 7 grand or so. The thing was a torque monster!

Same thing was brought up in the tests back in 1990 on the Kawasaki Zephyr 550. Only 43 hp, but in the hop up done a year later, they left the engine alone, the torque jumped up around 82% of the max at 3500 rpm and held up to the peak at around 8000 rpm or so. Great torque over a broad range made it extremely user friendly - user friendly enough to give sport bike riders headaches when the riding got tight and twisty where torque reigned over sheer horsepower, less shifting quick acceleration.

Torque, what a wonderful thing - the actual capability to do work. I like a lot of it. The MCM increased torque in the middle for sure.

Last edited by klx678; 07-21-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

S you're saying they're lying, their graphics department didn't bother looking at what the test results were. Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Motorcycle-USA are all lying? Every hot rod magazine that has published polished graphics instead of photos of the sheet are lying?

Get over it! Geez, I don't recall anyone here questioning YOUR results. I know for sure I never have. Your dyno charts are from your bike at that location on that dyno and absolutely believable. Geez...
No conspiracy, simple economics maybe.. Can't loose the account($$$) of a manufacturer just because the shootout bike is outside the envelope on the dyno - so just run it a gear lower and wa'lla - it's numbers match the others!!!

Why else would they never produce the actual dyno report(s).. They don't have to take pictures of charts - they would simply use the dynos' computer to combine the best run of each bike onto one chart save it to a flash drive and print it.. Just sayin...

Last edited by Klxster; 07-21-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: How many horses for the KLX250s?