how get a motorcycle license...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUdude85
I agree the best place to go is the website, but they do a poor job explaining how the road test is set up. The written test was very straightforward, had it done in a matter of 10 minutes.

I had a buddy who took his road test give me some pointers back when I did mine. That's why I rented the ruckus lol. I'm sure I could have passed in in the KLX but why make it harder than it has to be
That wouldn't work in Utah... you're restricted here to whatever you tested on. There are 4 categories... 90cc and under, 249cc and under, 649 and under, and 650 and up. I tested on my KLX250, so I can ride anything up to a 649cc bike. I'm not sure if any other states do it this way...

Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
That wouldn't work in Utah... you're restricted here to whatever you tested on. There are 4 categories... 90cc and under, 249cc and under, 649 and under, and 650 and up. I tested on my KLX250, so I can ride anything up to a 649cc bike. I'm not sure if any other states do it this way...

That's interesting. Your Idaho neighbors don't do it that way. When I tested, there was a gal on a scooter, a few sport bikes, cruisers, and big baggers. I was the only one on knobbies . The test and endorsement was the same for all of us.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Cali is dumb that way. You can test on a 50cc scooter and get your licence to ride anything you want. CL has guys that will rent you a scooter to go take the test for 50 bucks. I got my licence back in IL. They had 2 certs. Up to 150cc and 151cc and up. I tested on a 650cc... wasn't that hard. 20 years later and I have still never needed to weave around anything at slow speeds like I had to with that test.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I tested on a craigslist ad xt250, the original dmv test bike. Easiest thing to ride ever.

I wasn't going to do it on my husky te450

Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

So how did it go? Got your lic already? where in jersey are you?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
That's interesting. Your Idaho neighbors don't do it that way. When I tested, there was a gal on a scooter, a few sport bikes, cruisers, and big baggers. I was the only one on knobbies . The test and endorsement was the same for all of us.
Well, Howdy, neighbor to the frozen North...

I actually tested in FL, about 20 years ago. They had a great program then, much like the MSF course. Weave, swerve, emergency stops, the whole thing. No tiered license though. I tested on a Kaw 550 LTD.

I then moved back to NY, and they transferred the M endorsement to my NY license.

I moved back to FL about 4 years ago, and they transferred the M back onto my FL license.

I moved to UT 3 years ago, and they also transferred the M to my license (un-restricted). So, even though I passed the local MSF class on my KLX (required for riding on Hill AFB), I have an unrestricted Utah motorcycle license.

I wonder if other tiered motorcycle license states do the same as Utah when transferring out-of-state license endorsements.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Passed the written exam yesterday. I'm from socal btw. Now I can practice/ ride my bike on the streets but no freeways and before 6pm. Planning on taking the msf course in a month or two. Btw wifey frowns using the bike on the road.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I was just about to get enrolled in a class here locally in WA state. However it is a schedule nightmare 7:45am -9pm for 2 days.

I can also take the written test and then take a driver test after.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duke3x
So how did it go? Got your lic already? where in jersey are you?
not yet. it isn't easy for me, my native language is difrent, so i need to transalte all book to my language by myself (translate.google.com hepls me a lot ) , then study and i will take a test in my language.i can't find the book in another language, it is just in english. i will try take a test in english but i don't know all the worlds, so if i dont uderstant one word from the sentence, i cant answer for this sentence, that is sock. i have been here almost 3 years so english is still not like my native language, but if my idea not going to be working, then i will have to study english tests.
I live in north jersey.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jan Kania
not yet. it isn't easy for me, my native language is difrent, so i need to transalte all book to my language by myself (translate.google.com hepls me a lot ) , then study and i will take a test in my language.i can't find the book in another language, it is just in english. i will try take a test in english but i don't know all the worlds, so if i dont uderstant one word from the sentence, i cant answer for this sentence, that is sock. i have been here almost 3 years so english is still not like my native language, but if my idea not going to be working, then i will have to study english tests.
I live in north jersey.

Jan, I encourage you to learn more English, and use it everyday. Practice makes perfect. You should be able to find ESL classes in your area.
In my opinion the DMV test should only be in English. There are nearly 7000 languages in the world, and there is no way the DMV should have a version of their test in everyone's language. IMHO If you live here, and ride here, you need to know English. I'm surprised that after living here for 3 years, you don't know enough English to be able to take the DMV test.

Please don't take this wrong, I wish you all the best. I admire people like you that have the guts to pull up stakes, and move to another country. I'm glad my great great great grandparents did.
Good luck.
Dan

Quick Reply: how get a motorcycle license...