How do I accurately judge equiptment change

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

How to measure torque the hillbilly way. Put the bike on a stand and get a buddy to run her up to wide open in 4th gear and then you grab the rear wheel and see how long it takes to stop the wheel then make all the mods and rerun the same test again and compare the medical bills between the two and see how much more the second run cost. Just a thought.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stroker331
That's interesting...I have one of those somewhere. It still is up to the person to ride exactly the same on each run though. I know the readings would be off if not level.
It has to be level, but there's a built in level, so that's easy.
If you set it to accel, or HP, there's no real need to ride exactly the same. Run it through the gears, and it will convert the G force to a HP number based on weight.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rstru70828
how to measure torque the hillbilly way. Put the bike on a stand and get a buddy to run her up to wide open in 4th gear and then you grab the rear wheel and see how long it takes to stop the wheel then make all the mods and rerun the same test again and compare the medical bills between the two and see how much more the second run cost. Just a thought.
rofl....

Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
It has to be level, but there's a built in level, so that's easy.
If you set it to accel, or HP, there's no real need to ride exactly the same. Run it through the gears, and it will convert the G force to a HP number based on weight.
Hmmmm I never got it to work that way in my cars. Even talked to support and they told me it had to be level and if possible use the same stretch of road...this was 6-7 years ago. I eventually got it to be within 3\10's of the strip time.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Same road, that's obvious. If you change the pitch of the road, the results will change.
I've found it to be repeatable in my cars.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is an easy formula

Take the hours spent x $ spent divided by the # of your fiends with the same modification. That will give you the brag factor. The more you brag the more you will feel that there really was an improvement.
Cheers Jim

Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Here is an easy formula

Take the hours spent x $ spent divided by the # of your fiends with the same modification. That will give you the brag factor. The more you brag the more you will feel that there really was an improvement.
Cheers Jim
Nice

I like the guys who put new grips or something on and can then lift the front wheel in all 6 gears, and neutral too.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default G meter

That looks like a cigarette lighter plug for power. Do you have to get an extention cord and have a car follow you?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have the time, it can be done. You'd have to run repeated tests which begin at a low rpm, perhaps 2000-5000 rpm, those that begin at a mid-range, perhaps 5000-7000, and those that begin at a higher range...say 7000to 9000 or even redline. You could do it in several different gears....the higher gears are easier to do, unless you have someone helping you with a stopwatch. Of course, it would have to be the same temperature and wind direction and road. You'd have to do several runs of each to make sure you get consistant numbers. Then, you'd make your changes and compare the results. It would have to be on a road, as off-road grip could make the results variable. It would be tedious, but, it can be done.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kyrral
That looks like a cigarette lighter plug for power. Do you have to get an extention cord and have a car follow you?
Solar......

Quick Reply: How do I accurately judge equiptment change