How to adjust idle mix screw while carbs on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How to adjust idle mix screw while carbs on the bike

So recently my bike has been dying at intersections while idling, when I first got the bike 6ish months ago I had no problems but now I do. I have tried adjusting the throttle stop but that didnt change my idle up past 1100.

I have read online that it could be the idle mix screw, so I though alright il just lightly snug it down and then back it out to manufacturers spec...

Well how am I suppose to access this thing that has maybe an inch and a half of clearance to get a flat head in there? I have tried searching it and have found no answer.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

My tool

Old 02-24-2016, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
My tool
ah perfect, so just go buy a cheap little stubby and cut the handle off pretty much.

Do you find that you burn yourself with that? it seems like a really tight space. I guess you only have to do it once and a while though.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that is just a bit that you would use in a drill with a short section of rubber fuel hose slipped over the end. Should work just fine and yes, it is a tight fit.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

GBAUTO is correct.. And you are correct about getting burned if you aren't very careful.. As you know, you only do it once, so when I did mine, I took a little burn or two.

Now that my Dyno tuning is done, I hope to never have to "do-up" another KLX fuel screw..lol

Last edited by Klxster; 02-24-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Craftsman.com

$9 at Sears:

Old 02-24-2016, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Will this be the first time you are adjusting the idle mix on that bike? Is there a cap covering that screw on your bike?

Old 02-24-2016, 06:14 PM

Pick up a kouba t-handle fuel mixture screw. don't have to worry about burning yourself once installed, and can easily adjust on the trail.

"T"-Handle FuelscrewAir/Fuelscrews

Old 02-24-2016, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot for all the tips guys, I actually have one of those little knobby ratchets, il try using that.

Large problem I found last night that may be causing my stalls.

So ever since I have had the bike the clutch seems kinda squishy or something. so I decided I would adjust the clutch cable to take some slack out of it. by doing this I now have a bike that while in neutral runs fine but when put into 2nd or 1st gear it stalls out due to the clutch not disengaging. I have tried fiddling the clutch adj on the handbar some more and cant even get it back to being able to shift.

Is this due to a bad clutch or is it the cable? any opinions?

edit: just a quick browse online I'm looking at how to adjust my clutch cable properly so I will try that when i get home

Last edited by HypnoFrogs; 02-24-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by HypnoFrogs
Thanks a lot for all the tips guys, I actually have one of those little knobby ratchets, il try using that.

Large problem I found last night that may be causing my stalls.

So ever since I have had the bike the clutch seems kinda squishy or something. so I decided I would adjust the clutch cable to take some slack out of it. by doing this I now have a bike that while in neutral runs fine but when put into 2nd or 1st gear it stalls out due to the clutch not disengaging. I have tried fiddling the clutch adj on the handbar some more and cant even get it back to being able to shift.

Is this due to a bad clutch or is it the cable? any opinions?

edit: just a quick browse online I'm looking at how to adjust my clutch cable properly so I will try that when i get home
There are two points where you can adjust your clutch, up where the lever is and down on the motor where the cable attaches to the lever that goes into the motor. Adjust the one on the motor and get it to where it completely disengages, and then adjust the one up top and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: How to adjust idle mix screw while carbs on the bike