Home Fab turn signal brackets and fender eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Home Fab turn signal brackets and fender eliminator

The OEM turn signal mounting tab on the rear rack was the first casualty of this new to me klx. I bought a 8ft length of aluminum and started bending and drilling. Using holes and bolts from the stock fender/ *****, it came together nicely! Amazing what can be done with some imagination and beer

Attached Thumbnails Home Fab turn signal brackets and fender eliminator-20170212_135656.jpg  

Last edited by DitchPickle; 02-18-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I would recommend you attach a small wire lanyard to your license plate. In around 45 years I've not had too much success with any metal license plate brackets on dual sports, including stainless steel. They all fractured.

The one that held up was essentially a fitted fabric reinforced rubber flap attached to the trailing edge of the rear fender on my 650, same fender as yours. The 650 ate an aluminum plate and a stainless plate almost losing the plate with the aluminum one. A friend noticed it hanging on by a shred. The rubber flap has gone around 30,000 miles no problems. Essentially a mudflap with the plate on it.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:26 PM

Looks good I have been thinking of doing something like this, one issue I have is the license plate light. I would still like to have one as I end up in the dark at times did you sneak a light in there?

Old 02-18-2017, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't sneak the light on there. I'm a really calm rider and the police around here don't give us dualsport guys alot of trouble. As long as it's got papers and I can prove it's legal... not much of an issue. If it was a sportbike, or a supermoto, I would be a bit more apprehensive about my decision.

That being said, a crafty lad or lass could sneak the oem license plate light up in thurr. I can't suggest how, but I'm sure it's possible

As for the lanyard suggestion klx678, it's a good one but I can't see how my bracket would fail. The plate is bolted to the stock steel plate, and that plate is mounted to 2 separate pieces of aluminum. Are you suggesting that the vibrations would lead to the bracket snapping?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I see what you're saying, I thought you pulled off the lower rear fender part and put a plate in place of it, which is what I had done on the 650, same rear fender set up.

DBD look on ebay, there are license plate bolt/lights that can be a license plate light.

Last edited by klx678; 02-18-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I would say that u will probably have a chance to redue your installation after the first drop on it's side. Those blinkers look like they are sticking way out, I put mine back in close to the fender, who really cares if they are way out?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The most unobtrusive, cheapest and virually unbreakable ones I've seen were done here by RockaBillSlapMatt. I bought four and have them in the garage awaiting the time to do the job.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

klx, those look easy to install, I don't think I'd put them where he did. My bark busters are usually re-adjusted after about every other ride, and they are all scratched up from hitting rocks!

Old 02-19-2017, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the feedback, so I thought it was best to upload a few more pictures to show what's going on.

The OEM turn signals stick out further than the ones I have installed. My turn signal brackets are a quick way to get me legal and on the road again. I would have preferred to mount the DRC LED signals to the stock mounting tabs on the rack, but that requires a visit to my friend the welder.

Who cares how far out they stick? Cops and the local insurance company. If I get hit and they can prove my signals were not visible, I'm not covered. They are sneaky F***ers and I won't give them an inch.

Ultimately, my friend the welder/fitter/fabricator will be asked to make a whole new rear rack. At that point, I'll have mounting tabs installed to the rack and out of harm's way.

Seeing as how I wanted to make a fender eliminator, and the signals had no mount, I got two birds stoned at the same time with my 20 dollar piece of aluminum.

I like to see people making their own stuff, but the turn signals you linked are way to far removed from the OEM orange blinkers. That would indeed get a question from the local constabulary.

I used two pieces of aluminum for the license plate holder, and the bends are not supporting the weight as much as they are allowing for the angle of the plate. If this thing is gunna crack/ let go.. it won't be both at the same time. I have lots more aluminum...

I designed this all out of simplicity, gotta love when it ends being functional too!

Attached Thumbnails Home Fab turn signal brackets and fender eliminator-20170218_154817.png   Home Fab turn signal brackets and fender eliminator-20170218_154856%5B1%5D.png   Home Fab turn signal brackets and fender eliminator-20170218_153710.png  
Old 02-19-2017, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The thing with those signals is how they mount and the fact that they are near indestructible LEDs. You can make tabs, drill the hole to mount the grommet and pop in the signal. That was one interesting thing about them. Lots of mounting methods. I'll likely do the bark buster and in the rear I was considering mounting them like clearance lights. One trick could be to make a plastic plate that attaches behind the plate with the signals on the outside. Another could be to set up mounts on the rack beneath and at the outside edges. Lots of tricks can be done if a rider wants to.

Now for the best full size signal I found. Bolted on to both my Zephyr and KLX650, with the locating pin. Buell Ulysses rear turn signals.

They have the most flexible stems I've ever seen. I bought them at the local H-D dealer for $15.99 each. The parts guy told me he had sold a fair number of them to dual sport riders. They almost fold in half! Use a common 3v bulb.

Quick Reply: Home Fab turn signal brackets and fender eliminator