DIY LED turn signals!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default DIY LED turn signals!

Been wanting to get this done for a while, finally found parts that I liked the best.

Uni-Lite Mini LED Side Marker/Clearance Light w/ Grommet - 2 Diode - Sealed - Amber w/Clear Lens Optronics Trailer Lights MCL11CAKB

Bought two of these puppies for testing

Waterproof, cheap, comes with diode, wires, and a mounting grommet (the best part!)

I decided to mount them on my handguards, drilled 2 11/16 holes and squeeeeeezed them into place! Simple, effective, bright, and fun!

Frontal

Name:  image1-1.jpeg
Views: 293
Size:  108.9 KB

Lateral

POV...

A quick video of the blinkers in action!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

That is awesome! Do they still look pretty bright out in the sun?

Also.. what mirrors are you using?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Havent triedin the sun yet, just finished them when I took the video. Much brighter than stock thougj; however they are smaller, much smaller. The mirros I bought off amazon as blind spot mirros. I think I paid 4$ for them combines, 3" mirrors to remain legal, you could get 2" though, comes with mounting sticky stuff too!

Old 08-24-2014, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Been wanting to get this done for a while, finally found parts that I liked the best.

Uni-Lite Mini LED Side Marker/Clearance Light w/ Grommet - 2 Diode - Sealed - Amber w/Clear Lens Optronics Trailer Lights MCL11CAKB

Bought two of these puppies for testing

Waterproof, cheap, comes with diode, wires, and a mounting grommet (the best part!)

You gotta be kidding me!

I'm sorry, that's too easy!

How are all those Chinese people making those junky mini signals going to make a buck a day now, if everyone does this?

The idea is so ridiculous that I just ordered 4!

Brilliant, Matt!

Another thought following up on your thought. Find a flexible piece of plastic (like Hot Wheels track, soft plastic that won't break) mount a set of them in it and bolt it on behind the license plate, or something like that, for a set of rear signals.

I don't like the stock signals, because the stalks aren't flexible enough. I'm going to do this.

Did you go to an electronic automobile type relay or were the diodes enough to get them to flash? I'm not the most electronically literate individual in an empty room, much less anywhere else.

Last edited by klx678; 08-24-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Another thought following up on your thought. Find a flexible piece of plastic (like Hot Wheels track, soft plastic that won't break) mount a set of them in it and bolt it on behind the license plate, or something like that, for a set of rear signals.

I don't like the stock signals, because the stalks aren't flexible enough. I'm going to do this.

Did you go to an electronic automobile type relay or were the diodes enough to get them to flash? I'm not the most electronically literate individual in an empty room, much less anywhere else.
Thank you thank you! When I finally found led's that weren't in a light strip, that were water proof, dioded, clear lensed (amber is gross) AND had a grommet for mounting, I snagged them.

I didn't use any relay, I don't have all 4 wired up yet, only the front 2, but I have no issue with them blinking on their own (many tales of wiring them up and all lights blinking at once) So I'm hopeful no relay will be necessary.

I know about the turn signals, my left rear snapped in a parking lot tip over! Ridiculous. For my rear, I'm going to do the same as I did for the front, except drill the holes on the rear fender, that with the edge tail light should look pretty good.

The cool thing with these is that at a 45 degree or so angle (like on my handguards or when mounting directly to the rear fender) produce light 360* around (since they are circular) at about a 90* from the horizontal (being the 45* they were mounted at), if that makes sense.

Last edited by RockabillSlapMatt; 08-24-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Kudos again and again for a GREAT idea for the true dual sport as well as cleaning up an SM.

I sincerely appreciate your post, you saved me about $35, because I would have done another set of Buell signals. I like them on the 650 and on my street bike, but this your RSM signal change is far cleaner and better for the true dual sport set that don't want to get rid of the signals.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool, I'm forever removing signals on the back to ride trails. Not anymore! I'm gonna get 4 myself.
Thanks for finding that!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe that trailer place will be like the Harley shop where I bought my Buell signals - the parts guy knew exactly what I wanted and said all kinds of dual sport and adventure bike riders bought them. Pretty soon the trailer guys will start saying "Yeah, I know what you mean, those lights the bike guys use as turn signals."

Maybe Matt could get commission on every set over 10 that are sold.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Maybe that trailer place will be like the Harley shop where I bought my Buell signals - the parts guy knew exactly what I wanted and said all kinds of dual sport and adventure bike riders bought them. Pretty soon the trailer guys will start saying "Yeah, I know what you mean, those lights the bike guys use as turn signals."

Maybe Matt could get commission on every set over 10 that are sold.
Ha! Wouldn't that be awesome, I should email the company and see if I can get a deal on certain units sold for less money, then post it over on advrider and see what happens

Last edited by RockabillSlapMatt; 08-25-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the page for the group buy over at advrider

DIY turn signals group buy - ADVrider

Quick Reply: DIY LED turn signals!