Hmmmm...What to spend my $$ on?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hmmmm...What to spend my $$ on?!

I just got a $250 Kawasaki rebate card (It's a mastercard that is prefilled with $250) in the mail from the purchase of my bike. It's kind of like free money that I can use on my bike without upsetting my better half :-)

Anybody have any ideas on what I should use it for? I've got the stock 2009 250S with a jet kit. I'm thinking FMF slip-on but not sure. I would love an exhaust with a bit more growl but I don't want anything loud and obnoxious. I was thinking this...

http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...&app_year=2009

Handlebars with handguards are also a possibility. Oh decisions, decisions, decisions...

Thanks for any input!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy

free money!..now thats what i'm talkin about!...on the pipe,check out the HMF,its about a hundred bucks cheaper than the FMF and just as good proly.....if you ride off road a lot your gonna want to get some "real" handguards,and a skid plate....have fun shopping!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Some good safety gear would be first on my list, if thats all ok, then a 13t front sprocket, a K&N filter, maybe Bark Busters and a good skid plate.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the FMF Q4 and I love it. It isn't obnoxiously loud, it has a nice "thump" ( you can make it louder by removing the spark arrestor screen). That said, I think the HMF is going to be comparable in noise level to the FMF. Those two mufflers seem to have the largest cannisters, which, to me, is going to give them more room to absorb engine noise. All the advice above is excellent, but here's why you might want to "shoot the wad" on a muffler. First off let me say this, in order of importance here's what I think you need, #1 safety equipment, #2 hand guards, #3 13th sprocket, #4 muffler/jetting. Out of all the above the hardest one to justify to the Mrs. later when your not spending "free money" will be the muffler. You might spend more on the safety equiptment than the muffler, but nobody's wife ever told them they didn't really need a helmet. The other stuff is pretty cheap, and should fly under her radar easily later on. If you buy a whole box of stuff for $250 now and then in six months want to blow another $250 on something to make your bike louder, she aint gonna see it. lol

Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

dan888, how is the fit/finish of the FMF? Is it a quality product?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
...the hardest one to justify to the Mrs. later when your not spending "free money" will be the muffler. You might spend more on the safety equiptment than the muffler, but nobody's wife ever told them they didn't really need a helmet. The other stuff is pretty cheap, and should fly under her radar easily later on. If you buy a whole box of stuff for $250 now and then in six months want to blow another $250 on something to make your bike louder, she aint gonna see it. lol
That, sir, is some brilliant critical thinking!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Armycopter wrote "dan888, how is the fit/finish of the FMF? Is it a quality product?"
Excellent fit, and fininsh on my Q4. I followed the directions to a "t", and it mounted and performed flawlessly.

Thanks vtgreen, I try.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vtgreen
That, sir, is some brilliant critical thinking!
+1...I wish I would have thought about that so my wife would let me buy new "safety gear."

Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Some good safety gear would be first on my list, if thats all ok, then a 13t front sprocket, a K&N filter, maybe Bark Busters and a good skid plate.
+1 on those thoughts. Get some protection (trust us on this one, saves $$ in the long run.) and the 13t sprocket plus a free flowing air filter will give her some more pep for very little $.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Free money...

Originally Posted by armycopter
I just got a $250 Kawasaki rebate card (It's a mastercard that is prefilled with $250) in the mail from the purchase of my bike. It's kind of like free money that I can use on my bike without upsetting my better half :-)

Anybody have any ideas on what I should use it for? I've got the stock 2009 250S with a jet kit. I'm thinking FMF slip-on but not sure. I would love an exhaust with a bit more growl but I don't want anything loud and obnoxious. I was thinking this...

http://www.fmfracing.com/default_det...&app_year=2009

Handlebars with handguards are also a possibility. Oh decisions, decisions, decisions...

Thanks for any input!
Free money...Congress knows all about that.

I would have loved a $250 discount on my "not obnoxiously loud" full Muzzy

Quick Reply: Hmmmm...What to spend my $$ on?!