Hmmm...Looking at the KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Finger Mullet,

Yup, you nailed it. I could re-dualsport my plated 450 and have been wishy washy about it. It's a woods race bike that has proven very reliable for the single and double track trail riding I do. I love that bike but I am hesitant to pile the miles on her doing extended pavement riding. I did it for 2 years and then sold the d/s kit. Plus here in WA state I was always a little nervous on the street riding a barely legal woods racing bike.

The thought of a detuned heavier factory dual sport for overall use struck me. The Husky and Yamaha are very nice and I believe are both fuel injected, which is a bonus in my book. However, currently owning a Sportster and my beloved KTM, I gotta shop in the used market. I don't think it would go over well with my lovely bride of 7 years if I brought home a new $6K bike.

The used market (DRZ) and the KLX 250 seems promising and an easier sell for me! I can wrap my mind around the fact that it is low on HP and somewhat of a wheezer, that's cool and makes it fun to do a little wrenching and cheap mods. It will keep the miles off of the katoom and allow me to explore the local area. Selling the HD is not an option because my wife likes that thing (I'm not a big HD guy). I'm just happy that my wife likes riding with me and overall supports my bike addiction. I think she will go for a used D/S, bike #3, she's cool that way but I don't want to take advatage of my spoiled bike situation. Some folks dream of owning A bike. I'm blessed that way.

These forums are cool. We get to mull things over and see it from other peoples view!

Of course I could always revisit re-dualsporting the 450exc and just live with the fact of putting big miles on her. Oh man this is beautiful dilemma! I still feel from what I've read that the little KLX is a respectable machine for what it can do.

Andy

Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm averaging 2000 miles a month on mine. So far so good. I just got it a couple of months ago and I just turned over 6000 miles yesterday. I'm commuting daily mostly on the interstate. No problem keeping up and passing traffic once you learn the limits of a 250. I cruise at 75-80mph indicated for a couple of hours each day. Tach is pointing at 8000 for the most part but it's doable. Just keep in mind after 50 miles you're at half a tank already.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow! While typing my last response some more good advice popped up. The 6speed transmission of the KLX is the primary reason I am considering this bike. Deep down I know a DRZ would do very well, albiet heavier which is a con off road but better on road. The DRZ-S would probably be easier to find on the used market in my area.

Thank you for all the responses, solid info from the folks that actually own and operate the KLX.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

the DRZ is nice, but it has one huge shortfall. It has no 6th gear. I owned an '06 DRZSM; the power and torque were awesome, but it screamed at highway speeds and I was always hunting for 6th. If they would just rework the tranny a bit, it'd be the perfect dual-sport. Maybe some styling updates to boot. The engine is a gem, perhaps one of the all-time great motorcycle engines (ATV's too).
With that said, I replaced my '06 KLX250S with the DRZ, then sold the DRZ and bought an '09 KLX. I wouldn't go back. The new '09 is just such a sweet little bike. The older KLX's are nice, but the '09 is neater in it's newer gadgetry and updates all over. Either one will need opened up with some type of exhaust upgrade/jetting. Also, for '09, 6th gear was reworked and brought closer to 5th for more useability. Having had an '06 and now an '09, I can tell you the tranny is much smoother and 6th gear easier to pull stock.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Maybe I should send this in a PM, but with reference to dual sporting your EXC:

If you were going to do that and plan on racking up a lot of miles, I would do 3 things:

1) Renazco seat

2) Send the head to "DJH" on KTMTalk to install 1mm oversized kibblewhite stainless steel valves. You won't have to worry about valve adjustments after that, or at least, not as often, or so I've heard. Probably in another year, mine will be worn enough to justify doing it, but the price is not bad at all considering what he does, he's got lots of happy customers.

3) Maybe an oil cooler for pounding out the road miles - increases the oil capacity and keeps it cooler, making it retain its usable life long and reducing the frequency required for changes.

After that, you can crank out the kind of miles you're wanting without much concern. But I do agree with you, the KTM EXC is an off-road race bike, that happens to be street legal. It would not be my first choice for a commuter, at least not without those things above.

Another option would be something along the lines of a Husqvarna TE610, the new BMW 650X, and also don't forget the new BMW 450X. Those last two come with a pretty incredible warranty - 3 yr/36K miles.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 12-19-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

My 2 cents
Forget the DRZ400, has a lot of sack, but it feels old school,
The KLX feels modern, and lightweight, lacks in the sack,
You cant make the DRZ feel modern
You can make the KLX have more sack

I would put the D-S kit back on the KTM, and roost us KLX guys

But then again, I aint got one, you and No Brakes do, so
Get the KLX, you will like it.

Last edited by Fourty2ri; 12-19-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Nobrakes,

My 450 has about 134 hrs/ 2700 miles on her. I figure head work will probably be in order around the 200 hr mark. I could and probably should just invest some money in her and then ride the life out it. At least I won't be trying to justify a third bike. These 450s as you know are crazy fun and have some snort. I purchased a steering damper and it really helped for those brief blasts down the freeway. Light dual sports can get squirrely at higher speeds, especially with oncoming large trucks. In the long run it may be easier to do this than pick up a third bike. It is always a compromise when trying to make a bike do more than what it was designed for. It is fun mulling over the merits of the KLX though!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

You just can't imagine how much less power the KLX has vs your 450. We're talkin 18 HP here, your 450 would gain and lose that in a variance. Not to mention its power delivery system, its reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal drawn out and smooth.

Mods are almost a must, and jetting is for the birds.
________
THE CIGAR BOSS

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, my '07 has 4020 on the odo and 156 hours on the meter. That's mostly off-road, I don't commute on it, it normally only sees pavement when connecting trails. So I'm thinking somewhere between 200 and 300 hours, I'll send the head off and have DJH do his magic on it. He said he could freshen it up now if I wanted, but it is running so good and strong and I can't see doing anything at this time. And I have documented all my valve adjustments, so I think I'll be able to tell when they are getting close to done by how often they've moved. From what I hear, DJH is the head guru, and the 1mm oversized KW SS valves are the way to go. It's funny, though, only the intakes have moved, the exhaust valves have been rock steady.

But the bike dilemma is definitely just that. It is a sacrifice - road worthiness vs dirt worthiness. My own personal preference is that I will gladly trade the former for the latter, at least for what I do the most. But I would have kept my KLX if I could have afforded both bikes at the time. I can see a place for both in the stable. And sometime I wouldn't mind picking up something for longer get aways, maybe that could comfortably ride 2-up with the wife, that'd be a nice setup.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bearcat

I am looking for a machine that can be ridden approx 50 road miles and then ride logging roads (Pacific Northwest). In addition I commute in the spring/summer months 20 miles of which 12 miles are on I-5. Light trail riding is on the agenda too.
Andy,

Personally, I wouldn't pick the KLX for the riding you describe. I think you should make the trip to Forks and take Deej up on his offer to try it out.

Depending on the mods you choose to do, you may not be able to complete 50 road miles and then do logging roads unless there is a filling station at the trailhead. Mine goes 80 miles and it's out of gas (it would do 120-140 when stock). The seat leaves a lot to be desired, but that can be fixed. I think the KLX is a great recreational trail bike that keeps you out of trouble because it's street legal. I don't think it has any business being on the freeway (although many take it there).

There are very few gas stations near where I like to ride here in NM. I grew weary of having to load up the KLX to take it to the trails. Some days I just want to ride! My new dualsport is a little heavy (okay, it's a lot heavy) for the single track, but on the highway and forest roads it really shines! I don't think there really is a "true" dualsport. That's why I have a bike for the trail and a bike for the road.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hmmm...Looking at the KLX250S