Hmmm...Looking at the KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hmmm...Looking at the KLX250S

Hello KLX250S riders!

New guy here with a few questions to ask about the KLX250S

My background: 44 year old who has been riding bikes since a kid. I’m a smaller rider and weigh 165 lbs. Currently own a KTM 450exc, HD 1200 Sportster, and recently sold a KLR650. I have owned a bunch of dirt bikes over the years along with a few street bikes. Seat height is not a problem as I’m comfortable on a dirt bike.

I am searching for a "real" factory 50/50 dual sport and was primarily looking at the XR650L, DR650S, and DRZ400S. Recently I have pondered a 250 class machine, mainly the KLX 250S. I am looking for a machine that can be ridden approx 50 road miles and then ride logging roads (Pacific Northwest). In addition I commute in the spring/summer months 20 miles of which 12 miles are on I-5. Light trail riding is on the agenda too. Originally I was going to just get a big heavy 650 knowing that they can haul the mail and are durable. But there is something about the KLX 250, especially the 6 speed transmission that keeps tugging at me.

Will the KLX 250S maintain 65 mph without screaming the guts out of it for the above mentioned commute? Can I get 12,000 miles (3 year average for what I plan to use it for) out of the engine before a top end rebuild? I am good about preventative maintenance, oil changes, air filters, valve adjustments, lube etc.

I realize it’s a 250 and don’t expect it to have torque/hp like a 400+cc bike. Also I'm aware of the small fuel tank of which I can deal with. Am I asking too much of the KLX? Should I just look at a 400 or 650? I’ve done tons of research on the other bikes but neglected to look at the 250 class bikes.

Thanks for your replies in advance,

Andy ~ bearcat

Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Andy, welcome to the forums!!! Depending on where you live, you could try out my bike before you buy one. But keep in mind that its been piped, jetted and geared. So if you are willing to drive here we can go out and you can see what this bike's real potential is. I can ride the wife's XT225 and we can make a day ride out of it. I'm in Forks WA. Again welcome and even if you don't end up with a KLX, stick around, this is a great forum. Oh I forgot to answer some of your questions. In august I took a trip over to Vancouver Island, in three days I did 700 miles, and the bike performed flawlessly. Also keep in mind that if you can live with the gearing, stock will keep the rpm's down a little. I think at 60,with the 13-45 I'm running Right at 7 grand. I'm already at 10,500 miles and I hope I get another 50,000 out of the bike. Let me know if you want to test ride the bike.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi deej!

I feel like I know you. I have been on the other sites and lurking here for some time. I actually thought about trying to contact you when I rolled through Forks on my bike this summer. I have sort of made the "Olympic Loop" my annual ride two years running. I appreciate the offer for a test ride on your modified bike, but It will probably be another summer until I make the loop again!

The neat thing about the KLX250 forum is reading about how much you folks enjoy the 250S. It appears those that enjoy modifying/upgrading really like this bike. Getting the most they can out of the 250 within reasonable expectations and not breaking the bank!

It sounds like the bike will do the job, especially after that 700 mile trip you took and the 10,000+ miles on the clock. I just wanted to know that the bike can rip along the freeway for 12 miles (getting tossed around as only you can on a dualsport) at 65mph without grenading the bike in one year!

I would most likely research the free mods and try to make the bike breath a little better utilizing a modified stock exhaust with intake and jetting changes. At least that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

The fact that this little bike can pull down 65 mpg is not too shabby either! I have some more pondering to do!

Thanks for the response,

Andy

Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No problem there Andy, maybe we will end up organizing a ride someday.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm far from an expert, but for all the road-riding and pavement/loggging roads/gravel it sounds like you're dong, AND all the saddle time, you might want to look into a DRZ-400S. My dad is very similar to you, riding since before he had a driver's licence, 40s, not afraid of power but in tune to the fact his name isn't Jonathan Belle. My dad rides his DRZ mostly trails and gravel roads, we never ride highway except about 15 miles at 50mph to GET to some trails, and albeit a bit heavy, its great offroad to him. He geared it down to 14/47 and he can do 55 or so buzzing it, couldn't do 65 with these sprockets.

IDK, I'm not you, I can't tell you what to think. But if I had been more than a raw, green, noobtard, the DRZ is the way to go in bigger dualsport yet capable of trails. Honestly, if Kawi doesn't make a 450 dualsport in the next few years, my next bike will be a DRZ400S.

Reliability? I think the KLX is a rock. I've had mine 6+ months, just blew over 5,000 miles, LOTS of gravel roads and streets, not much highway, its too dicey in the wind 65 bucks for a DJ kit and pulling out the snorkel wakes up the bike quite a bit.

I hope my inexperienced ramblings were useful, if you have questions about the '09 feel free to ask.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey cliffsta,

Thanks, that was some solid advice and I appreciate it. Don't sell yourself short on the inexperience thing. Those are the very facts that I have mulled over and over again. Probably the main reason I never considered a 250 until now. You have gained a ton of experience in the last 6 months!

In the end it will probably boil down to what pops up first on the used market. A DRZ, a KLX, a XRL...

Old 12-19-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Bear,

Considering you've been lurking a while, already own a 450 exc which is tagged....I assume you know what you are getting.

The good points about the lil klx is that it will just run and run and run...it will also chug up steep stuff without stalling...albeit slowly. With the basic pipe and jetting mods....she can skoot at 65 no problem....but I gotta say...I occasionally commute to work on her in S. Florida for 40 minutes at 75-80...even though it is not the most pleasant ride...she takes it...although if its dark my muzzy header will start to glow after 15 minutes..lol.

Obviously you know about the street legal TE250 and the new Yammi 250.....which would probably have been my choice if avaliable when I bought the klx back in 06.

But I do have to say....If a hurricane was coming and I had to evacuate asap...1000 miles....I would not blink at taking the klx...I don't think the sucker needs oil...just runs and runs and runs....like that energizer bunny.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

BC,

Something nobody has mentioned but you're aware of is the 6th gear on the KLX. For everyday use it is pretty much useless, but if you're out on the slab it's priceless. You can ride down a state or US highway at 65+ without fear of stessing the motor.

That said, you're still on a 1/4 liter lightweight thumper with fruit/phosphate trucks coming at you going 70+, so the wind effect will still toss you around enough to make you pay attention. It's easily done, but not this bikes forte'.

Truth is, if the need for highway use is a primary concern get a bigger mill. If you want something for short road stints and to toss around in the dirt the KLX is hard to beat. Most of us complain about the lack of power, soft setup, yada yada on the KLX but we're all here. Hmm......

Last edited by Xerxes; 12-19-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: ruuf
Old 12-19-2008, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Get the WR 250.

It seems that no one who buys this thing leaves it stone stock because its so choked up. At one time the KLX had 23HP and its been corked down to 18HP.

The WR has more power, aluminum frame, and fuel injection.
________
Body Science

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

For your intended use I think the DRZ is a better choice.

Quick Reply: Hmmm...Looking at the KLX250S