hmf is here

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Default RE: hmf is here

I just got my HMF last week, and was surprised that it didn't fitwithout modification. I ended up needing about 5 washers (1/4" or so) between the muffler and the hanger to keep it off the rear fender. Even with the quiet core, it is still loud as hell. Waaaay louder than stock. My wife said she could hear me nearly a mile away from the house.
I am not really dissapointed, but I do feel like the system has been somewhat mis-represented as being fairly quiet and until now I hadn't seenanything on the fitment issue. It is really not a big deal, but makes you wonder why the company doesn't fix it the bends, or at least provide a longer bolt and a spacer.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

should send them an email with a link to this thread ;D

Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i see you removed the doormat comment....

ok ill tell you what ill send you my complete big gun exhaust and u send me your slip on hmf? sound like a good deal? The big gun doesnt rub at all.....
Hey, I love my big gun...Its the best!!!!

WAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Old 03-02-2007, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff to know guys. I was considering the HMF but it was still in the prototype stages so I bought the Big Gun. Seems to me like there are issues with each of these exhaust systems. Mileage will tell and that isthe kind of info we like to share here. No bashing...... I like that concept!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:04 AM

I have mine but haven't put it on yet.I don't have my jets in for the carb. The pipe looks great and is well constructed. When I do get it on I really don't think a small spacer will be a big deal. This is the aftermarket after-all. Very few things fit perfectly with no adjustments. I have installed several pipes and other aftermarket parts just to find they all need a little tweaking. If youwant itto fit perfectly stick to OEM parts.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

BG sure does fit good.... cant think of anything else nice to say about it.....

( Im just gonna bash my own pipe, cause its funny. at least funny to me.... )

Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

For theprice, the HMFhas the best 'bang for the buck' on the market today. They are also the only company to actually dyno test their product on this bike and provide all of those results plus a detailed procedure on how to rejet our carb. Quatity of materials used is very high as well.

All that for only 200.00 and you want to whine about it being too close to the fender? I guess you are nowfaced withthe dilema ofbuying$1.00 spacer, or returning the HMFand getting something thatagrees withyour principles.

ORIGINAL: JB1

The fact it requires washers, spacers or bending the brackets in a vise really tells me something about this company.

I'll wait till tomorrow before I pass full judgement, and see it for myself.

Anyone else with the HMF have this problem...post some pics please

Old 03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

All that for only 200.00 and you want to whine about it being too close to the fender? I guess you are nowfaced withthe dilema ofbuying$1.00 spacer, or returning the HMFand getting something thatagrees withyour principles.
The muffler was $275 shipped with the quiet core insert and polished finish. I guess if it didnt come in polished and missing the quiet core I shouldnt complain either.

I dont appreciate you saying Im whining about this, if it doesnt fit and rubs the fender then thats a legitimate complaint.

If all it takes is a spacer and a longer bolt I have no problems with that, however I will call HMF and let them know of their products short comings, thats my right isnt it?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JB1

ORIGINAL: tremor38

The muffler was $275 shipped with the quiet core insert and polished finish. I guess if it didnt come in polished and missing the quiet core I shouldnt complain either.

I dont appreciate you saying Im whining about this, if it doesnt fit and rubs the fender then thats a legitimate complaint.

If all it takes is a spacer and a longer bolt I have no problems with that, however I will call HMF and let them know of their products short comings, thats my right isnt it?

When we purchase a product and it is advertised to fit a specific model, it isn't unreasonable for us to expect it to fit. A major part of the cost of these items is(or should be) R&D. If we were to have to modify and "make fit" I would expect the instructions to say "universal fit".
It seems that too many times these manufacters short cut the R&D process and let us be the fabricators. So I think our complaints are justified when things don't fit like they are suppose to.

Quick Reply: hmf is here